DMT vs Sharpmaker vs Lansky for recurves?

Pros and cons of each please for sharpening a recurve. The DMT seems "idiot" proof. The Sharpmaker requires a little more skill (steady hand). The Lansky I have no idea.

Sharpening a recurve is not easy and the only things that seem to work well are the spyderco profiles and sharpmaker rods.

Don't forget DMT Aligner has a specific stone for recurved blades. The model number is ACG.

The Sharpmaker has always worked good for me on recurves and hawkbills, as well as SE. I just sharpened my Superhawk which has a thin back bevel to hair whittling sharp with only 5 strokes per side going up to the UF stones. I then stuck 3m lapping film in 1 micron the .3 micron grits tonight and spent a couple minutes really getting that edge sharpened out nice. The Sharpmaker is a PITA if your bevel isn't under 20 per side, though, so that is where the pro files would really be able to work whatever angle you want. I've never tried the aligner so I can't comment on that, but I can recommend the Sharpmaker.

Mike

Last edited:
Don't forget DMT Aligner has a specific stone for recurved blades. The model number is ACG.

Hate to say it the the DMT stone for doing recurves is about the worst tool ever, too much curve to the stone.

Back