Do you think the Butterfly knife is a good choice for a self-defence weapon?

It was generally a bad atmosphere, you'd have to have been there to experiance what I mean.

I live in quite a small town (actually I like outside it, which is even worse) it doesn't have much of a selection in the MA department. I was hoping that when I go to Sussex Uni (a lot bigger place than here) I could take it up again. I'll be certainlly looking in to it anyway.

The board was Overclockers UK (www.overclockers.co.uk) it was someone elses thread asking everyone to talk about bad experiances where they have been attacked or got in to unavoidable fights, some of them had been stabbed, some bottled and most were pretty nasty stories.

I just posted saying thats why I carry a Balisong. That got some of them a bit worked up. Some didn't blame me, others felt that I had absolutly no right in carrying a weapon to protect myself here in the UK at all. I posted some very good points defending my opinion in that I used it as much as a everyday tool and if an extream situation arrised where it was simply a matter of either you or them (as in last resort) then I would use it as a self defence weapon too. Long story cut short, all my posts were deleted.

I wasn't breaking any of the boards rules.... someone said I was because I was 'talking' about an illegal weapon.... thing is, its illegal to own one here and its illegal to carry one here (Which I accept and risk, but still thats my choice) I have extream doubts to whether its illegal to 'talk/discuss' about one here.

No respect for freedom of choice :(

FYI, its not illegal to own a bali in the UK, just buy, sell import, lend, give, hire, manufacture (probably) and, of course, carry one.

So, if you come to my house, I can show you my bali (on my property) but if I hand it to you (as in lend) I am breaking the law which is, as ever, an ass.

If you find a good class you'll make it work. I travel an hour each way to my kung fu class, despite the fact that there are probably more than fifty classes within a half hour radius, just not as good. Uni should give you a wide choice and the social aspect will help you stick with it for that all important first few months. If you wait till then, at least start building your fitness level now so that it doesn't hinder your progression when you start training.

Its a shame about the reaction from overclockers. Probably they thought you were a troublemaker, as you plainly admitted to breaking the law. It would have been more constructive of them to find out more and try to reason with you than brush it under the carpet. While they are right that you have no legal right to carry a defensive weapon, morally they are dead wrong, otherwise they could not justify police or military use of weapons, or even using your own body parts as weapons, which is clearly absurd.

Be aware, though, that the design of your knife automatically implies malicious intent under UK law, whereas a regular folding knife can be justified.

You have not really said why you feel vulnerable and an understanding of this may help. When you turn the lights on sometimes you find that you were just jumping at shadows. If you only do one thing, please read Dead or Alive. It is well worth the money[I/]

Dom

I stand corrected :)

Well thanks for the advise.... I agree with you about overclockers, but this was the point I was making. Your correct, I have no right in the eyes of the law to carry a Bali in my country, but in my own moral right - I do. This is most imporant factor, as its MY knife and its MY choice whether I carry it or not. For anyone else, its up to them to decide which is morally right or wrong. I respect all views and choices (except dogmatic ones) from all people - I expect the same back.

I don't think they had me down as somekind of trouble maker as you surgest... I had been with that board for over 4 months and had near 1000 posts, I was pretty much a regular. I won't be going back there anymore though because I feel they do not enbrace nor respect any kind of 'freedom of speech/choice' as I do. They were also very stict, I mean VERY strict boards. Personally I should have known better to have bought it up. I'm probarly half to blame even if its just for that reason.

When it comes down to practibility/legally wise I must be honest with you, out of all the knives I prefer to carry my Bali the most, not only because its extreamly simple and versatile knife but because its simply my favorite too, I can't help but carry it... I mean who can argue with that? :/

I do NOT carry my Bali to stupid places like pubs, concerts, clubs, etc... or anywhere where there is no need for a person like me to carry a knife or a high police factor or a high risk of being stopped and searched.

I feel vunrable because I do travel through some... for use of a better word... 'nasty' areas of Swindon sometimes usually to friends houses or college, its a great sense of safety and cofidence knowing your Bali is there if you need it. My father was also attacked around near our garages a couple of months ago (our garage is ~400 yards seperated from our house, and most of this walking distance is an unlit, dark, ally way kind of enviroment) he was set upon by a couple of attackers, they slashed at his face with a knife, he had to go to hospital later that night. But the most worrying part of it was they actually asked who he was before attacking him (my foolish dad even told them his name). This prompts the question "are people actually watching out and waiting to attack us?", call me paranoid, but what me and my family have been through for the past year I can't blame myself (long story, not going in to it).

Nowadays I have to go around the garages with my mum or my dad (my Bali goes too) to fetch our car. Its a sad state of affairs, but carrying my Bali is a discreet sense of security for me and my family. I hope you can at least understand now why I feel vunrable without it. It pays to be aware at all times and this alone will usually get you out of any trouble before it even starts. But there is nothing wrong with being prepared either.

Thanks for listening...

I ll bet the Queen has her bodyguards Yes...OK then. you are what you swing....OCYRUS...

That sounds like one of those times a baseball bat, cricket bat, or something else might be a good thing to carry, to me. Preferably something longer than the bali, relatively light (ok, so the cricket bat is a bad idea) and usable... but long enough to keep the bad ones at bay. Me, I like a sawed off pool cue. They're weighted, and can be cut to fit personal preferences... and you may be able to find a bar with an old broken one they'll give you. the heavier ones are 20 or a 21 ounce...

Better yet, look up buying a Maglite. I don't know if they sell them there or not... if not I'm sure you can find em online. It's a long machined aluminum flashlight that comes in up to 8(?) D cell configurations.

The cops here like em becuse they're good, bright flashlights, but they're long, strong, and heavy enough they can use them as clubs, too. They just hold them like a club, with the lighted end as the butt end, and swing the heavy end over their shoulder, pointing the light forward when they use it, so it's already cocked to swing. It also gives you the advantages of being able see the bad guys before they come up, and to cut back on your opponent's night vision, giving you a slight advantage, before you bring it down on their head. I think there are even some places that offer big brass end caps that screw on in place of the regular caps, for that extra thump. Optionally, you could get a long one, and machine/have machined a long brass slug to go inside in place of some of the batteries, and just use fewer batteries than normal.

AND, it's legal.

Back