Does anyone carry SAK without plastic scales?

I took off plastic scales from one of my Victorinox cadet knives and just carry it like that in my pocket.Very light and much easier to carry.Anyone done same?

I would think the brass posts the scales mount to would eat up your pocket during carry and your hand during use. Spring for Alox. Nearly as thin and light and much smoother to carry and use.

I've never felt that the cellidor scales make pocket carry any less easy. And even though a 2 or 3-layer Alox model will be thinner than a 2 or 3-layer cellidor model, the Alox model will also be heavier, which for me pretty much makes things even.

Jim

I have both the Cadet and Pioneer/Soldier models. In some ways, the Cadet is better. Lighter and easier to carry, it gets more pocket time. It is also easier to deploy the blades of the Cadet because of the lighter pull.

I'm confused by your original post. You said you took plastic scales off of a cadet, yet the cadet does not have plastic scales.

I personally wouldn't like the exposed pins. I prefer the smooth profile. I think the smooth profile is why I like SAKs over leathermans.

I like the alox over the cellidor or nylon scales for the looks, as well as durability, and thinner size. On the other hand, the plastic scale knives can include the toothpick, tweezers, pen, pin, and backside tools such as a corkscrew, hook, and awl. I find those scale and backside tools very useful.

maybe the model has different name,lol,but I still carry it and use.Will get Cadet, as Recruit is maybe little heavy,or will get both.Had Recruit made by Wenger,but airport security took it LOL,forgot it in my pants pocket,it was excellent knife!

Money clip SAK is on my list too,I need something light ,easy to carry in shorts while down south,and also need smaller knife and this serves purpose

No, absolutely never.
The celador scales don't even add any real weight or bulk, and the main reason to get a celador model over an alox one is for the toothpick & tweezers.

I remove the plastic scales on my little slimline Wenger key chain knives and have for many, many years, if not decades. My mods are always: Remove the scales. Peen the brass pin heads slightly. And put an edge on the file blade for a second/backup cutting blade.

I'm confused by your original post. You said you took plastic scales off of a cadet, yet the cadet does not have plastic scales.

He might be calling a Recruit a Cadet, same 84mm layout, just cellidor scales instead on alox.

Back