Does anyone have pics of their custom DDR EDC?

Is the S30V steel better than the 420V? I really don't know that much about 420V so any info would be great.

John, everything I know about S30V is from reading here on Bladeforums, so take it for what it is--hearsay.
The impression that I have from the info posted here, and the makeup of the steel is:
That it is both tougher and more stain resistant than D2, with equal or better wear resistance.
That it is much tougher than 420V, roughly equal(?) in stain resistance, and not as wear resistant (I believe it was ~25% less).

There was alot of talk about it replacing ATS-34, but to me, that combination looks like it just walks all over everything else in a folder blade, or for small-medium fixed blades.
Sounds great, and I would really like to try it out.

Thought I'd chime in with my very first custom knife. I don't have a pic, and can't find an old pic on the net, but I can give a description.

Darrel Ralph Appogee: 3" ATS-34 with recurve, and drop point. Carbon Fiber with Cutouts OVER full thickness Ti liners with Gold nuggeting showing through CF cutouts (beautiful!) This one is essentially a frame lock with CF slabs.

DD

I like the Apogee pretty good but I just decided that I would like the EDC better. I like the look of the handle and the blade shape. Any knife from DDR would be great either way. :)

Ahhh, the EDC. Great knife and a very good choice for your first custom.

I started out with a IBL model with 420V Dominator blade. I really liked the knife but preferred the lock-up on my Sebenza, it just felt more solid. The anodizing looks pretty to start, but scratches fairly easily and then doesn't look so hot.

I then got a carbon fiber with the 420V and Dominator blade again. This knife blew the IBL into the weeds! It was smoother, had a more solid feeling lock-up, was lighter, felt better in the hand and was more resistant to wear showing.

I then found out that Darrel was doing a limited run of 10 knives featuring forged 52100 for blade steel. I immediately jumped on one of these and completed the package with a slotted carbon fiber frame and the Dominator blade. I knew it was special when I was e-mailing Darrel after it arrived and he asked me "is it sharp"? This coming from a man who doesn't exactly ship a dull knife. I believe he was impressed with edge it took. It is my favorite of the bunch and the only one I have left. Now this knife will take an edge easily, hold it and I have had no trouble with staining. Plus it has got a really cool double temper line :D While I don't know if Darrel will forge any more of these, I believe he will still grind it. I will attach a pic tomorrow.

So I guess my preference is for the carbon fiber (slotted or not), heat colored liners and clip, Dominator blade and either the 52100 or 420V for steel.

blademan 13, so you think that out of all the blade steel choices that the 420V is the best? I think that OwenM said that he thought that the new S30V might be a better option if Darrel offers it. What do all of you guys think. I'm not trying to keep this tread going longer than it should, I just want to get the best out of my first custom knife. Thanks. :)

John, I would call Darrel, and talk to him about it-or shoot him an email. He will shoot you straight, and won't hesitate to tell you what he likes/dislikes about different steels, and most importantly, why.
Think about what you will be doing with the knife, and what you want out of it, ahead of time, and ask him some intelligent questions.
You can get a knife from Darrel, just send him X amount of dollars, but, if you pay attention, you can get an education at the same time-free of charge.

OT, but important, IMO:
I'm still new to custom knives, and have alot to learn, but have already discovered that if you walk away with just a knife, you've missed the boat. Every time I pull out a custom knife to use, I think of the maker, and smile to myself.
Now I understand why some people are so picky about makers, and don't want to buy secondhand, or from a dealer. The joy of ownership isn't just about the knife...

Thanks OwenM I will give Darrel an e-mail soon. I just want to get the most out of this purchase because its a lot of money to spend on one knife.

Blademan 13, I forgot to enter this in my post last time, you think that I should get the liner lock instead of the frame lock? i always thought that it was the other way around, the frame lock would generally be more secure than the liner lock. My Sebenza is the most secure knife I've ever handled thats why I thought that I would get the frame lock from Darrel. Thanks.

John,

I personally prefer the stainless liner to the IBL. The IBL just never gave me the same feeling as my Sebenzas do. It was not that the lock was loose or not solid, it just felt like the Sebenza engaged more completely and securely.

As far as steel, 420V rules the roost if you need or want a stainless steel. I find I like the performance of the 52100 nearly as well and it sharpens up a little easier and takes a very fine edge. A little TLC will go along way in preventing any problems.

As promised, here is a pic of my EDC. You can barely make out the double temper lines on the blade. The knife is much nicer than my pics :rolleyes:

Attachments

• edc.jpg
    edc.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 130
Thanks to DR, I now get to take TWO talonite edcs to Central America!:D :D :D

Attachments

• edcs.jpg
    edcs.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 118
Mine look just like the ones posted (the IBLs). IMO, you've just got to go with the Ti frames as they're so unlike anything else out there. I've found the finish to be very durable.

John,

I have been deciding what handle style and blade material to get myself, but have reached a good conclusion for myself through searching the blade forums and talking to Darrel. Look closely at what he says about the blade steels on his website and you will be able to discern his sentiments about materials.

I also started a thread in the general discussion group about whether to go with CPM 420V or D2. You might also go to the Bob Dozier site to see why he used D2.

The general feeling I get is that you cannot go wrong with a DDR EDC no matter what handle type or blade steel you choose, because he knows how to put them together.

I just put in an order for my EDC. Good hunting to you.

Geode.

Back