Does anyone have the Lagana Tactical and the traditional Lagana?

Daniel L

Gold Member
Hi all,

Does anyone have the new Lagana tactical and a traditional Lagana (from ATC) with the wooden handle?

I am interested to hear your opinion on the handling differences... for example, does the wooden handle model feel more "alive" as a combative tool?

Is the current Lagana Tactical built more robustly? I assume it is, but interested to hear how different the wooden handle models are.

My Lagana Tacticals have arrived - of the batch I picked the one that felt "alive" to me (Andy, the polished head hawk went to a friend!) While I am all for synthetics and durability, sometimes things get lost in translation... an ideal example being a kukri from say Himalayan Imports (traditional materials and balance) compared to the Cold Steel Kukri (looks great, but poor comparative performance.)

Enlighten me please!

Cheers,

I currently have Five different ATC lagana hawks which all have wood handles. I have also owned three versions of the VT Tac. I currently own the Acetal and current Nylon versions. I would be happy to do a comparison, just give me a couple of days to get my impressions worked out on paper first.

Wow - total of 8 hawks!! You would indeed be uniquely qualified for this question!

Total is closer to Fifteen, (two being RMJ Eagle Talons) including the Brend's.

I' ll try to start this when I get home from work tonight..

OK, Here I go.

For the information requested I will give my impressions or comparison on the FG (Field Grade) and VT Tac (Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk) by ATC

First let me say that I by no means an expert, and I’m sure someone here can throw around some lingo and a few scientific words to the contrary but what am posting is MY impressions or OPINION. With that out of the way, Let me say I have been a ATC Hawk owner since 2002. I have bought just about every version of the Vietnam Tomahawk ATC has made, sometimes more than one of each. I personally feel that the Vietnam Tomahawk is one of the best designs for a Tomahawk and it’s merits are well noted by many.

As for the FG version it is the lightest Vietnam hawk in the ATC line up. The wood handle keeps the weight down and with that, the hawk feels very alive in the hand. I can choke up on it, spin to the spike side and adjust during a swing very fast. My wrist doesn’t get punished by these sudden stops or adjustments. This makes it a lot easier to make last minute “corrections”. Ex. Target shifting, or puts up arm to block…etc. You can move the Hawk and adjust to your New target spot without feeling the torque on the wrist. It also never feels like I’ve over committed to a strike, due to it being able to adjusted so quickly.
The biggest draw back to the FG Hawk is it’s greatest asset - The wood handle. I never broke a handle on a hawk, but the guy I purchased my Second FG hawk broke quite a few. I have three or four extra handles he sold me with the hawk. I believe that he broke them while throwing the hawk, something I don’t do. The wood also has unfortunate ability to suck up moisture, swell in the heat and the reverse in the cold. This has not stopped wood from being an excellent material for Hammers and Axes two very similar tools, but it’s potential breakage that I feel cast a shadow on an great hawk. I feel that ATC going to Acetal on the VT Tac was a result of this.

The Acetal version did have an almost unbreakable handle, a steel rod inserted into the top and texturing. All features missing on the FG hawk, which are great but the Hawk picked up a good deal of weight and some added length. The trade off to many was fine a little more weight, to carry a tank? No Brainer right? The only problem is those “mid-swing” adjustments became a little more taxing on the wrist. It became a lot harder to stop the hawk in Mid-flight’ and adjust to a new “target area“. and those little moves I practiced on switching to the spike now required more effort to do. Still more then worth it in my mind. The other draw back to the Acetal handle was the round grip. It was textured but many were miffed that the hawk didn’t have an oval handle. “How can I tell which end is which” How do I know how I’m holding it?” . I felt it was a non-issue. It seemed simple to me . A horizontal notch equals spike side a vertical notch means edge. 30 seconds and a file that all it takes.

The current version is the perfect evolution of the two. The size is almost identical to the FG, and the weight is closer to the FG also. Which are two major improvements over the previous VT design. The handle is oval again and does have some indentations to help index the hawk. I can move this S.O.B in mid-flight with the flick of a wrist, and the transition to spike is fast and smooth. The current handle doesn’t have the checkering, and does feel slick by comparison in a the bare hand. Try the hawk however while wearing flight gloves and you’ll be shocked (at least I was) how good it retains in the hand compared to bare skin. All those guys wearing flight gloves for a living will love this handle. As for us “bare-hand” folks the are a lot of ways to make this grip better, which has been discussed in other posts Otherwise this version of the VT Tac is the perfect blend of lightweight performance in an indestructible package.

Thanks Fan of Steel - that was a great summation on the evolutionary development.

I'm tossing up on whether a FG wood handle version would fit my needs - I don't usually throw and I generally prefer the "alive" factor over a "durability" factor within reason. I don't chop doors or bricks so it would be used within its design parameters.

The final Lagana Tactical I have from a batch of three has a markedly slimmer head / spike / face than the other two. Whereas the other 2 had "mid swing torque" when changing directions - this one is noticeably faster and lighter. I was just thinking that maybe the FG wood version is even better...

What's the head difference like between your Lagana Tactical and the Field Grade? Other than the edge which is deliberately thick on the current version Laganas, is the FG head and spike thinner overall?

Thanks again - I note in your description that you omitted the Acetal version with the machined cross hatching, which was the version prior to the round handle version... I bet you've probably got one of those anyway! :)

Cheers,

Daniel L said:
What's the head difference like between your Lagana Tactical and the Field Grade? Other than the edge which is deliberately thick on the current version Laganas, is the FG head and spike thinner overall?

The head is almost identical on the two. In size and shape.

I note in your description that you omitted the Acetal version with the machined cross hatching, which was the version prior to the round handle version... I bet you've probably got one of those anyway! :)

Cheers,

I had one, sold it. This was early in 2002. I was under the assumption the hawk was a copy of the ATC hawk and I sold it. :grumpy: Should have checked better sources. I love the FG hawks but I don't see the distinct advantage anymore compaired to the current version of the VTac, also keep in mind the FG Hawks aren't made anymore..and I am not selling any of mine :D They are going to be tough to get. Good luck.
Glad I could help.

Back