Does anyone know where I could get work as a...

Gunner

BANNED
My name is Geoff and I live in Canada, I love the outdoors and want to start my own survival/adventure camp or resort someday. I am writing this here because this is the wilderness/survival forum so I thought you guys could maybe help me out. Here is what I would like. I would like to be either a wilderness/adventure guide or work for someone else that is a guide. I have a vast knowldege of the woods and how to survive in them, great people skills and a real desire to work outside. I would love to get a job as a guide and need some help. Where should I apply? What training should I take? Where should I get the training? If I was to open my own guiding service is there much money/demand for that type of work in this day and age? Also is there more demand in Canada or the USA? I would love to get my american rights and would really like to work in the states. All the info you have would be great. I look forward to hearing from all of you. Thanks. Geoff.

Hi Gunner,

Sorry about the long answer. If you need to go to the bathroom...go now. :>) In addition, my answer is directed more toward starting your own organization then working for someone else.

Your question is very difficult to answer. I think that first you must learn the skills and then how to teach. (but everyone knows how I feel about this :>)).

Some programs run instructor training classes that last anywhere from 3 wks to 3 months. I know of one person who attended a 3 wk class and upon completing it became an instructor for that organization. He now runs his own survival school. 3 weeks of training and he's an instructor :>(.

My point is...when I look at an instructor, I don't ask him/her how long they have been teaching, I ask how much training have you had? Makes a big difference.

Ron brings up a good school...Prescot college in Arizona. It is about as good as it gets...besides the military programs.

I've already bored everyone with my thoughts on an instructor vs a guide so I'll leave that alone....

One other big problem with running these programs is $$$$. I own 11 acres, of which 8 is dedicated to ANEW. The property is in the beautiful Columbia Gorge in Washington States...it costs a lot but yet puts me close to great training areas. In addition, insurance, equipment for staff and students, conditional use permits for the USFS, vehicles, staff pay, advertising, web pages, etc. make these programs very expensive to own and operate. Throw in a very expensive ROPES course (one of the biggest in the West) and your up to your armpits in debt. (I won't give exact figures of what it has cost us (out of my pocket $$ and I make payments on loans) to get where we are but...it excedes 200K. (we put on a first rate program.)

think long and hard about this one....You have to love it, live it, and have more than 3 weeks of training to succeed at it. If you decide to move forward, please feel free to email me at greg@ssurvival.com and I'll answer any questions I can. Ron, you got any input?

PS: you can do it cheeper but I only know how to do things one way....

PSS: That's the same philosophy I have when I run a trip...Balls out and as if every minute matters. I know I'm on the right track when I get feedback like this (thanks Bill):

I highly recommend ANEW's programs. Other schools use the "impact" portion of their training to bring everyone "down" to a common level and then attempt to have you prove that you have what it takes to survive. ANEW and its staff attempt (and succeed) at bringing everyone "up" to a common skill level and then provide the opportunities to apply those skills throughout the field portion of the class. I am the Vice President of Curriculum and Instruction for a software training company and I was very impressed not only with Greg's survival knowledge but also with his teaching skills. Other courses will teach a few skills, but they almost seem like an afterthought. It is clear to the observant student that Greg has well defined learning objectives and a plan for meeting those objectives. I think I know what I am talking about, as I was once a student and later an instructor for one of those other programs.
- Bill Qualls (Student of ANEW…August 1999)

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

[This message has been edited by Greg Davenport (edited 09 December 1999).]

Back