Does anyone like large locking sak's?

Honestly if I am going to carry a Vic knife this big I would rather carry a dedicated EDC knife and a mini SAK for the same ammount of weight. Alot of SAKs are just too wide because of too many layers for my taste.

The cool thing about some of these Vics is they have an actually well thought out combo edge. Serrations at the tip and plain edge by the heel of the blade. I fan't believe more companies haven' caught on to this "butter knife" style serration lay out. Personally I wouldn't use a combo edge anyway since I suck at sharpening serrations. I prefer to have dedicated serrated blades.

Good point! That's one of the things I like about the OH Trekker, and have wondered the same thing myself about why other makers haven't caught on yet.

Honestly though there is nothing but good things to say about these locking SAKs other than upgrade the steel! We deserve something atleast 440a level?

But then they couldn't be resharpened as easily. These aren't intended to be work knives to be used consistently day in and out, so they don't need the edge holding capability of "better" steels, but they do have to be sharpened by people who have only basic skills. Most of its customers are occasional users, and wisely, Victorinox markets for their needs. Harder steels are for tradesmen, professionals or hobbyists.

Good point! That's one of the things I like about the OH Trekker, and have wondered the same thing myself about why other makers haven't caught on yet.

But then they couldn't be resharpened as easily. These aren't intended to be work knives to be used consistently day in and out, so they don't need the edge holding capability of "better" steels, but they do have to be sharpened by people who have only basic skills. Most of its customers are occasional users, and wisely, Victorinox markets for their needs. Harder steels are for tradesmen, professionals or hobbyists.
I completely disagree, Victorinox knives are work knives that do get used day in and day out. It's just that the blades only get used as cutting tools like a knife should, they have screwdrivers and other useful tools so we don't have to do anything other Than cut stuff with the blades.
Any knife I carry gets used a decent amount and I have no problem with the edge holding on my Vic's.

My understanding is that the steel is the same for all the blades, so there is some level of compromise. I find them to be adequate for most tasks, but as with all things, it is a compromise.

I used my alpineer again on Sunday BBQ with my family.it cut steak,sausages,bread ,opened couple of bottles of wine and whittled some sticks for kids,all without needing sharpening.I touched it up on sharpmaker in few seconds and it whittles hair again.one of locking large saks along with fixed blade or hatchet would be my choice for any survival situation.will order sentinel with clip ,should be light and easy to carry knife,my alpineer cuts way better than any spyderco I have.its on par with opinel 9that i use but I like handle better and doesn't get stiff when wet.ask steel is like carbon and can be resharpened on anything,but big plus is it doesn't rust in any climate.

Serrated victorinox knives are easy to sharpen on sharpmaker and easily shave hair.are excellent on soft materials like meat and rope,they work well for any kind of food prep and cutting.

As far as folders go, Anything which locks are a plus for me.
Large locking saks are a favorite.
I appreciate the fact that it has a fuller sized handle
and a blade length with a longer reach.
Appreciate The fact that the cowboy model weights next to nothing.
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Cowboy
My alpineer weighs next to nothing and has corkscrew instead of screwdriver and is lighter than all tactital spydercos and benchmades and others

I completely disagree, Victorinox knives are work knives that do get used day in and day out. It's just that the blades only get used as cutting tools like a knife should, they have screwdrivers and other useful tools so we don't have to do anything other Than cut stuff with the blades.
Any knife I carry gets used a decent amount and I have no problem with the edge holding on my Vic's.
These are working knives meant to be used for cutting.when you use blades to cut,they perform well.i have cut all kinds of stuff with it including old carpet and it performed well for all those tasks,as the blade geometry is thinner than most modern knives.

You are certainly right about Vic SAKs being used as work knives. I once read about an African safari company that issued two knives to each of its porters, a 12 inch machete and a Tinker, and I suppose there are any number of people in the world who do actual work daily with their SAKs. But the fact is that typically, most of them are seldom if ever used at all. SAKs are a great pocket item, often carried but seldom used. My wife has one in her purse that gets used maybe once or twice a year these days. Most people I know who have them use their's only occasionally, and often as not, it's the screwdrivers, corkscrew, bottle openers etc. that get the most workout. For years, my only EDC pocket knife was a Swisschamp, used almost daily, not as a heavy duty tool but for convenience. Vic SAKs are well designed and made for the way they are usually employed, but if you were cutting down cardboard, linoleum or vegetation all day long, you would have to do a lot more resharpening than if it were a dedicated folder, say, with a blade made of VG-10 or some other better edge holding steel, and chances are, the SAK would show some significant wear over time. My EDC these days includes a Delica or similar because they are more robust, easily deployed and simply better cutters.

That said, I would not consider myself underknifed with a SAK. Back when it was my only, the neighborhood kids called me "Knifeguy," and every so often I had to show off the implements to a group of fascinated youngsters. Call me "Johnny SAKleseed." ;)

Last edited:
You are certainly right about Vic SAKs being used as work knives. I once read about an African safari company that issued two knives to its porters, a 12 inch machete and a Tinker, and I suppose there are any number of people in the world who do actual work daily with their SAKs. But the fact is that typically, most of them are seldom if ever used at all. SAKs are a great pocket item, often carried but seldom used. My wife has one in her purse that gets used maybe once or twice a year these days. Most people I know who have them use their's only occasionally, and often as not, it's the screwdrivers, corkscrew, bottle openers etc. that get the most workout. For years, my only EDC pocket knife was a Swisschamp, used almost daily, not as a heavy duty tool but for convenience. Vic SAKs are well designed and made for the way they are usually employed, but if you were cutting down cardboard, linoleum or vegetation all day long, you would have to do a lot more resharpening than if it were a dedicated folder, say, with a blade made of VG-10 or some other better edge holding steel, and chances are, the SAK would show some significant wear over time. My EDC these days includes a Delica or similar because they are more robust, easily deployed and simply better cutters.

That said, I would not consider myself underknifed with a SAK. Back when it was my only, the neighborhood kids called me "Knifeguy," and every so often I had to show off the implements to a group of fascinated youngsters. Call me "Johnny SAKseed." ;)
I still say they are a dedicated knife, and are a knife with tools not a multitool with a blade.
Furthermore there are more people than you think who actually carry and use a Vic as a knife daily. You gotta remember that the majority of the world is non knife people who don't know anything about blade steels, who just want an inexpensive cutting tool, and who often don't realize their knife is even dull. Especially with an ultra thin Vic blade that still cuts to a degree when it's dull.
My grandfather carried nothing but a Vic classic in his pocket for years and would wear them out and replace them as needed.

Many in the knife community may carry a Vic supplementary to a modern folder, but hundreds and thousands if not millions of people all around the world ( small non locking blades only throughout many countries in Europe ) carry a classic cellador Vic as a full fledged primary EDC knife and use it daily.

I tried a few of the big locking SAK type knives... eh... I'm not a fan. I love my classic SD though, it goes on my keychain everywhere with me. The scissors are so darn handy!

You are certainly right about Vic SAKs being used as work knives. I once read about an African safari company that issued two knives to its porters, a 12 inch machete and a Tinker, and I suppose there are any number of people in the world who do actual work daily with their SAKs. But the fact is that typically, most of them are seldom if ever used at all. SAKs are a great pocket item, often carried but seldom used. My wife has one in her purse that gets used maybe once or twice a year these days. Most people I know who have them use their's only occasionally, and often as not, it's the screwdrivers, corkscrew, bottle openers etc. that get the most workout. For years, my only EDC pocket knife was a Swisschamp, used almost daily, not as a heavy duty tool but for convenience. Vic SAKs are well designed and made for the way they are usually employed, but if you were cutting down cardboard, linoleum or vegetation all day long, you would have to do a lot more resharpening than if it were a dedicated folder, say, with a blade made of VG-10 or some other better edge holding steel, and chances are, the SAK would show some significant wear over time. My EDC these days includes a Delica or similar because they are more robust, easily deployed and simply better cutters.

That said, I would not consider myself underknifed with a SAK. Back when it was my only, the neighborhood kids called me "Knifeguy," and every so often I had to show off the implements to a group of fascinated youngsters. Call me "Johnny SAKseed." ;)
I have about 100other knives besides saks,including delica,but do not find it to perform better in any way than any of large licking saks.but that's just my opinion.saks are pretty durable in my opinion as long as you use them for cutting.for other uses you have other tools on them that serve well.I liked older spyderco knives ,endura and delicate without liners,along with cold steel old style Japanese made voyagers .I still have couple of old voyagers and they are plenty strong and excellent knives.

My alpineer cuts better than any of my 25+ spyderco knives,and can be touched up on anything in seconds,and can cut cardboard all day long with touchups that take few seconds on back of ceramic plate,sharpening steel or whatever.

My alpineer cuts better than any of my 25+ spyderco knives,and can be touched up on anything in seconds,and can cut cardboard all day long with touchups that take few seconds on back of ceramic plate,sharpening steel or whatever.
Absolutely! It's one of the redeeming points about thin and mediocre ss stock blades.
The degree of dullness pretty much is a result of what's being cut,
It's what it is, a mass produced wonder blade which offers ease of sharpening
and an optimal degree of hardness for edge retention to carry out simple every day task.
Can't fault that.

I have about 100other knives besides saks,including delica,but do not find it to perform better in any way than any of large licking saks.but that's just my opinion.saks are pretty durable in my opinion as long as you use them for cutting.for other uses you have other tools on them that serve well.I liked older spyderco knives ,endura and delicate without liners,along with cold steel old style Japanese made voyagers .I still have couple of old voyagers and they are plenty strong and excellent knives.

Interesting that both you guys have a boatload of other knives and yet believe the (not so) humble SAK can compete with and even exceed them.
Be careful with whom you share this. A whole industry is at stake. ;)

Sak's can compete with anyone for edc,price and quality wise.other major manufacturers simply charge way too much for what you're getting,and I have no use for those knives for most part,maybe for showing off.Victorinox makes stuff to be used.their kitchen and butcher knives are excellent too,I wish they would make a hunting knife with sheath ,would sell like crazy.

Sak's can compete with anyone for edc,price and quality wise.other major manufacturers simply charge way too much for what you're getting,and I have no use for those knives for most part,maybe for showing off.Victorinox makes stuff to be used.their kitchen and butcher knives are excellent too,I wish they would make a hunting knife with sheath ,would sell like crazy.

No argument from me, or from my wife, for that matter. We have several Vic knives in our kitchen, most of them our favorites, although mine is an old butcher knife a former neighbor, a retired firefighter, made from a kit maybe 70 years ago. The blade is of carbon steel, the sharpest in the block, and a great shape for almost anything that needs cut, so we don't need a Vic butcher knife. I actually enjoy cutting with it, but got to be careful about drying after use because it rusts easily. Make that, very easily :eek: .

BTW, in my last post I quoted from two previous posts and just noticed both were yours :oops: . Oops.

Yeah I like the Adventurer quite a bit.
That is my favorite also with the side lock. For those that don't know, it's a two layer 112mm SAK similar to the Tinker. Been carrying one for years and have a number of spares since they were discontinued. Have other large ones as well that I use might carry in various situations. The Adventurer re-appeared in the Vic catalog as a liner lock which is supposed to be stronger than the button lock. Never had any problem with mine and I am generally not fond of liner locks. Too much of a hassle to close.

Znapschatz: I need to try the paracord approach with the One Handed Trekker as for me it's just a tad thick for the pocket. May rig something up in the next week or so. This is a very useful knife in the woods!

Honestly if I am going to carry a Vic knife this big I would rather carry a dedicated EDC knife and a mini SAK for the same amount of weight. Alot of SAKs are just too wide because of too many layers for my taste.

The cool thing about some of these Vics is they have an actually well thought out combo edge. Serrations at the tip and plain edge by the heel of the blade. I fan't believe more companies haven' caught on to this "butter knife" style serration lay out. Personally I wouldn't use a combo edge anyway since I suck at sharpening serrations. I prefer to have dedicated serrated blades.
The Sentinel is a single layer 112 mm SAK which I believe can be had with or without serrations. The thickness has been a turnoff for me as well which is why I go with a two layer 112 mm model. The one layer Sentinel is pretty comfortable carry knife.

When I carry the larger slip joints (read GEC #42 or #23 or Northwoods on the 42 frame), I go to a smaller 93 mm SAK to retain the full size toothpick and tweezers mostly although the blade is quite functional in a very slim package.

Honestly, it is hard for me not to carry my Adventurer model for something else as the blade length is quite functional.

Back