Does this exist?

I don't post here very often, mostly because I don't currently own any Busse knives, and I don't think I have much to add to the discussions..... :p

I do try to READ this forum occasionally though. :D

Anyway, I've gotten a serious jones for a "Permanent Arsenal" grade, bada$$ camp knife. Busse knives naturally came to mind as a contender in this arena... :)

I've owned a Natural Outlaw and an old-skool straight handle Steelheart before, but have since sold them. My observations:

1. The E-handles are WAY too large for me (almost a hand-and-a-half grip).

2. Old-style handles are very comfortable and seem to fit better.

3. I REALLY liked the overall size and width of the NO.

4. I thought the SH was a little too large.

4. The NO's edge geometry was a little too thick for my needs, and I didn't like the asymmetrical edge.

5. The grind on the SH was just about right.

So what am I getting at? Is there or was there something in the Busse line that's the size of a NO, with a straight or smaller-sized e-grip, with a fairly thin conventionally-ground edge (I handled a Mr. Mojo LE recently that had a nicely ground convex edge as well, so that would be OK too)? Maybe a straight-handle NO, or a slightly shorter straight-handle SH option?

Or am I just totally smoking crack? :p

Thanks in advance. :)

Ditto. My SJ has proven on several occasions to be the penultimate, indestructable, not too heavy, not too big, frickin' WICKED sharp edge-holding tool I was looking for.

I would also give a serious look at the Swamp Rat Camp Tramp, if the E-handles on the NO (my 2nd choice, I think) are too big for you. It looks very much like my original Busse, a Basic 7, and in my opinion would also prove to be outstanding in the overall bada$$ camp knife category.

what them fellas said!

Of course you could go custom.....when Jerry has time....

Afterthought-
If you really don't like the asymm edges, you can either:
A) Order a symmetrical edge from the shop;
B) Recut the edge yourself.

Jerry has been kind enough to reprofile a few knives for me at a nominal cost, and the GM I ordered WITH a symmetrical edge was absolutely screaming sharp. I've also recut a couple of smaller Busses (all that INFI makes for a LOT of work if you're doing it by hand) with very good results. So don't let the edge turn you off, just work around it.

I'll also add that even though I'm personally not a big asymmetrical fan, I think it would stand chopping through really hard stuff better than the thinner symmetrical grind.

You know, I didn't even CONSIDER the Satin Jack! For some reason, I thought it was a really small knife........I'm going to give that one a look.......

Thanks everyone for your replies....... :)

Here's a Comparison shot, the CG NO is the same size as the one pictured, just a different finish and different handles :D:D

attachment.php

Thanks for the pic, Eric. The SJ is cool, but I really like the width of the NO......

I'll let everyone know what I decide on.....

Just wondering, how difficult and expensive is it to get a full custom?

The SJ has a 6 1/2" blade and is a "Very Nice" knife for all around with out being looked at like a terrorist by the sheeple.

A full blown custom runs about $100.00 an inch and will take 2 - 3 years to get:grumpy:

You can always pick up a SJ in the $200.00 to $250.00 range and if you decide it doesn't work for you, you can sell it for the same price.
They don't last very long on the sale boards when they come up.
Happy hunting:D

Originally posted by 1whobuys
The SJ has a 6 1/2" blade and is a "Very Nice" knife for all around with out being looked at like a terrorist by the sheeple.

LOL! :) Unfortunately in this day and age, and in California especially, that's actually a consideration.......:barf:

Then I guess a Battle Mistress probably turns a few too many heads, huh? ;)

A full blown custom runs about $100.00 an inch and will take 2 - 3 years to get:grumpy:

The price doesn't sound too scary, but that's SOME wait time......:eek:

You can always pick up a SJ in the $200.00 to $250.00 range and if you decide it doesn't work for you, you can sell it for the same price. They don't last very long on the sale boards when they come up.

So I've noticed! Every one I found with "search" was already sold.... :p Is one of the thicknesses (1/4" vs. 3/16") preferred or more desirable than the other? It seems that most of them for sale were 1/4".........

BTW, where does the old-skool Badger Attack fit in with the SJ size-wise? I ran across an old one or two with a straight handle while I was looking around, and they looked pretty cool.......

Happy hunting:D

Much appreciated. :)

this is the knife you discribed to us.

it is all you want and all you will ever need.

sh1%232.jpg

VERY cool. :) What is it? Man that sucker looks WIDE. :D

I'd figure that's an older piece.......?

Back