Dog attack defense using knife?

Well, if I have to readjust a doggies attitude anally, I sure glad I pack a Space Pen. That way I can chuck the pen in a pan of boiling water to de-toxify the biohazard, and save the pen that saved me. Or maybe using my Axis will effect a more permanate solution to the recalcitrant pooches negative outlook on life and human beings. -Brian

Around 100 years ago you could openly promote using lethal devices for self defense. In a book called "Firearms Curiosa" I remember a great picture of a man shooting a dog with his pocket knife with the built-in pistol. Of course sword canes were also considered good in those situations.

------------------
"Defense against knife attack:
Option 1. If you have a gun shoot him."

Tim,

You did indeed give me some good info in your email. Thanks very much!

Regards,

Chris Canis

Let's say you're out hiking and encounter a stray. Stop and stay still, facing the animal all the while. The key here is face the animal, but do NOT maintain eye contact. Whether the dog is acting aggressively out of fear or out of straight dominance, maintaining direct eye contact is a universal canine sign of a challenge and will do nothing but cause the situation to escalate. Running (or even walking) away may well bring the dog's prey drive into play, and the "chase & bite" instinct will almost assuredly get you bitten if that happens. Talking to the dog in a calm, soothing voice may also help prevent any further advancement.
Sounds silly, but trying to "blow yourself up" to make yourself appear as big and wide as possible will deter a lot of dogs from coming closer. As long as the dog is giving you warnings (growling, eye contact, hackles up, head & ears lowered, etc.), standing your ground and exuding confidence is your best bet. When the dog calms down a bit, slowly start moving away from the area, and never take your eyes away from the dog's position.
If you're actually being charged, charge right back, screaming, yelling, and waving your arms. You'd be surprised at the number of "hard" dogs I've backed off during bitework and testing by doing just this. This may not necessarily send him packing, but in most all cases will at least prevent any further advancement on the dog's behalf.
There is never, and I mean never a reason to throw things at or attempt to injure the dog unless it is obvious that a physical attack is inevitable. As I stated in my post, at this point you do whatever is necessary to end the attack. If that means you must take the animal's life, then so be it. I don't really think I need to get into exact methods here, I'm sure you get the picture. Suffice it to say I carry a 26" ASP baton, First Defense OC spray and my Microtech SOCOM most everywhere I go, but especially when I am out w/my own dogs. As much as I love and respect all forms of life on this planet, I have way too much time (and money) invested in my dogs to allow someone elses irresponsibility to damage them or myself. I do not expect them to protect me from situations that I can handle myself.
It's also important to understand canine body language. Head down, hackles up, tail tucked, are classic signs of fear. This dog will most likely not bite unless he/she is cornered or you do something to trigger that prey drive or the dog is protecting something important to it (such as a litter of puppies) and feels you are too close for comfort. Nonetheless, a fear biter can be dangerous. A dominant dog is another story; head, ears, & tail erect, maintaining unerring eye contact, barking, growling, holding it's ground in a rigid stance. This dog will have no qualms about aggressively charging you, so be aware of that. Also be aware that I have not seen or even heard of one, single dog that would press a fight with a human after being hit with OC spray. If you encounter that many aggressive strays on your outings, there simply is no better defense than OC. In most cases the aggression can be quenched without having to get closer than 6 feet or so. Since any dog bite will do at least some damage to you, this is obviously the best way to go. Considering all the past attacks you've been through, were I you I wouldn't leave home without my OC.
I hope this has been of some help to you, even though I can't help but think that I've left some things out. If you have any future questions or more questions about this subject, feel free to contact me. Take care.
As always,respect,
Tim

As far as bear attacks are concerned, I recall reading a real life account in an outdoor magazine many years ago. A man was bowhunting when he was attacked by a black bear. The bear knocked the man down and started to chew up his leg. The hunter managed to grab one of his arrows and using only his hand, thrust the arrow into the bear's neck. The bear continued its attack. The man played dead (Which I understand does not work for black bears). After a short while the bear broke off its attack. The injured man waited for a while and then got up. He looked around and saw the bear lying dead some distance from him.

I'd say he was pretty lucky to be alive.

Axel

Okay, not much here in the way of actually being attacked by a dog, the only dog I have ever been bitten by was named Mocha and should have been atached to a long stick for dusting. Some sort of litle five or six pound animal, its owner invited me in and due to my wrestling with a freinds four pits while they fight over a rope or stick, I had the wrong attitude for this animal as I reached in from the outside to pet it. It grabbed my finger and jerked back, leaving h most paimful opening I have ever experienced (worse than severed tendons, object in eye, broken bones...whatever) The owner was horrified and apologetic, but I will not forget it. The worst part, we were working on a business deal worth mid-six figures so I could not even vent on the little mutt, no fault of its on I told him the dog was doing its job.

Also running along Lake Michigan one November day, big shepard wolf mix type ambles over off leash and procedes towards me with casual intent, like this is SOP for it. I proced to parry its nose and open the spyderco should the event escalate, some woman runs over and tells me not to worry, the dog is friendly, she and her boyfriend had just found it loose a couple days previous and brought it home, she had thre small kids with her...good idea, huh? I do not know how much more the doggy wanted to play, but I do not play with big animals I do not know.

Interesting thread...as someone said most dogs are scared of us...but get a dog in his own territory and he will defend it. A large 90 to 125Lb can take down a man twice his size..
While I was a service lineman years ago, for a total of 14 years. Many dog engagements over the years going into yards. I will never forget being attacked by a very large Giant Schnauser(later learned the were bread for guard dogs by the Germans) while gaffing down a pole in the fenced right of way(easement) of a yard. The dog was obviously trained and silently faced me as I stepped off the pole, as soon as my first leg hit the ground he was on it. The gaff support saved this beast from crushing my leg. The force of his grip did chip the shin bone in several places.The dog drug me about six feet. I had about 20 lbs of equiptment on me at the time! As he let go of my leg to head for my throat and shoulder I used me right leg to sink a 4" gaff spike into his shoulder!!Without a whimper he clamped on my upper arm near the shoulder and shook like a mako....I gaffed the dog again in the gut as I back crawled on my hands..At this time the owner called the dog off me...Heard me yelling very loud at the dog. I did seriously hurt the dog and thats another story,the only knife I had was a Klien linemans/electricians knife.Did not have mase either.Couldn't think of it, things went so fast. Thank goodness for GAFFS!! Because the dog almost died and a court case ensued.I will say donnot under estimate the ability of a large canine to bring you down, and hurt you!! I ended up with stitches, bruises and chipped bones....This dog had no intentions of letting me go, even though he was very hurt. He was in a fenzy you might say. This dog snuck up on me!!Never barked once..

[This message has been edited by Bartman (edited 27 June 1999).]

Parker,

Good policy. Very beneficial to long-term well being. Usually, if they come to you in a non-aggressive manner, they're not too much of a danger, but I still don't push my luck. One of my family's friends has a female English Mastiff. She's a little on the small side, about 130 lbs or so, you know, just a lightweight. This dog has known me since she was a little over a year old since my aunt had her before our friend. I never walk up to her, since she has made it very clear before that she doesn't trust me. There is no explanation for it, but its true. So far so good, but I still have to be careful when she's around. I don't beleive most dogs are dangerous if you are careful. Most problem dogs are the result of bad owners.

------------------
Just because I talk to myself doesn't mean I'm crazy. What's wrong with getting a second opinion?

Parker I hope you got the deal
wink.gif

Yea baby>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!

I don't have a dog attack story, but wish some advice. Are there special OC formulas or OC dispensors for animal attacks. I seem to see OC packaged in many different ways. What would be suggested sources and types of OC to purchase for animal and human defense?

Thanks and best regards, ToddO

This is not about technique, but about dogs to be wary of. As I have read the most frequent dog in fatal attacks are Saint Bernards! People under appreciate the likelyhood of their attack and they are huge. Their stereotype as a rescue dog hides the fact that they aren't all that friendly and good tempered. People are more likely to leave their children alone with a Saint Bernard than a German Shepherd. I'd trust the German a lot more.

Back