Dog Attacks & Getting tracked by them.

Two subjects.

I have been gathering information on this for a few years, any new nuggets of information out there regarding defense against dogs? Unarmed, knife, stick, whatever...

If you are being tracked by them, how do you avoid them. I have heard a few different ways, I can tell you pepper won't work as far as I have gathered from the experts on this, what do you guys have in store as a response?

I'm no expert, but I have had 2 run ins with wild (feral?) dogs. The first while mid-winter squirrel hunting in upstate NY. They were running a deer & when they passed me,they stopped, bared their teeth from a crouch with their tails between their legs. All bad signs. A blast from my 12 Ga. (over their heads) got them on their way. I was very glad that I had the gun.
2nd time we were in eastern PA, playin' in a water fall & didn't hear the dogs coming. Obviously not pets, all mangey and scruffy. Again they were approaching in a crouch, teeth bared, etc. This time we were unarmed & barefoot. My buddy and I collected a hand full of stones each, identified the Alpha dog and started chunkin' all of the rocks at him, about 10-15 yards away. Hit him once or twice and he left and the rest followed.
Now I don't go hiking without a good staff and a sheath knife.
I also had a run in with a city homeless/bum dog that grabbed me by the pants leg and I had to beat him off with my fishing rod!

------------------
In the long run, luck is given only to the effecient.
-Helmut Von Moltke

A way to avoid being tracked by dogs is to travel up a stream (in the water). This washes away the scent and the dogs can't smell you anymore (or so I've heard). It makes sense.

CAman

Hello

A long time ago while serving my time in the military we were taught that several ammonium salts could be used for that purpose. If I remember correctly they give out ammonia which is usually considered detrimental to olfactory sense. There use was so effective that they were forbidden in peace time exercises.

Wish you not-so-smelly tracks

Kirk,

Thanks for taking the time to post that link! It was beyond great. Very good information. And to all of you for posting your thoughts. Keep it coming. I am thinking about writing a book on this topic eventually and I have about a 10-12 page Manual outlined.

Hey Guys!
I have been involved with a local search & rescue team for almost 4 years. I have had the pleasure of working alongside some very well trained air-scent dogs. These dogs are trained to follow any scent that they come in contact with. They are AIR-SCENT trackers which means they pick up your scent in the air. If you try walking upstream they will still be able to follow you. That is if the wind is sending your scent their way.

Support Search & Rescue, Get Lost.
wink.gif

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives

Do you hear that?
That is the sound of inevitability.

Don,

I almost forgot, try doing a search for SAR Dogs. You may get some helpful information.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives

Do you hear that?
That is the sound of inevitability.

I once worked with a Korean War vet who passed this nugget on to me. During his basic training, he had been given a class in E & E from a WWII vet who had successfully escaped from a German POW camp. The WWII vet stood up on stage in shorts and a short-sleeved shirt to show all the scars from dog bites on his arms and legs. Even though the story of his escape is excellent, I will limit it to his encounter with the dogs sent after him. He was several miles from the camp when he heard the dogs on his trail. He ran as fast as he could but could not outrun them or throw them off his scent. When he realized that running was futile, he turned to fight. I believe he wrapped his jacket around his arm (am not sure on that part of the story but sounds good to me!) and waited for the dogs. There was three Dobermans, but they were a handful. Fortunatly, they attacked him almost one after the other as they came down the trail. As the first one came at him, he used his forearm as bait. With the dogs mouth open preparing to bite, he timed his move and jerked his forearm down, breaking the dogs lower jaw. He was bitten by the other dogs but broke their lower jaws as well and successfully escaped to Allied territory.
I can't elaborate too much on when to jerk down and break the jaw as I have not had to do it and my wife wouldn't appreciate me practicing on my attack poodle. I would suggest using your imagination and thinking it through instead.

[This message has been edited by Sgt. Fred (edited 01-15-2000).]

I always have at least one handgun and three knives on me in the woods, one less in the city--that should take care of most dog threats. Have faced down a Rotteweiler with my Glock on the trails--not sure if I scared the owner more than the dog--when hiking please keep dogs on leash. Recently, I have a cold-steel 5 foot hiking staff as well--could be handy. My trick about dogs is when I try out my OC spray once a month i shoot it at the bottom of my boots--when dogs get a whiff of those suckers then its sneeze city for them and happy trails for me.

Back