Dog's Head History?

I've been looking on-line, and can't seem to find any history on when Ka-Bar started using the dog's head shield/logo. Does anyone (OKB, perhaps) know if it is a recent thing or is there some history behind it?

The first use of the dog head shield was Union Cut Co in the late teens (circa 1919). There were several different models of knives at that time with the famous dog head shield. These first dog heads will not have KA-BAR on the dog shield. When the KA-BAR brand was adopted in 1923 there were a few models the same as earlier Union Cut models, but now they had KA-BAR on the shield as well as on the tang of the main blade. Several other models were added, but I believe they all were discontinued around 1942 with the onset of WW2. In 1977 the new KA-BAR company (no longer related to the original Union Cut Co.) re-introduced two models of dog head knives in a model that was available pre-WW2. Since then they have made more models with the dog head shields, but they are not models that were the same as the originals. If one studies the shields closely it is easy to tell the difference between the originals and the modern ones. Also the originals were all large knives 4&1/2" closed or larger, whereas there are many newer ones which are smaller knives. There are also known knives stamped Western States and Napanoch which have the dog head shields and these were made on contract for those companies by Union Cut Co.

DSCN2124.jpg

Here are some of my early original dog's head knives. Note the two on the right are Union Cut pre-KA-BAR knives and do not have KA-BAR on the shield. They are fantastic knives.

Gunsil, nice spine locks. You ever find any with a bail on the bottom bolster? Super rare. Love the roof line green bone.

gunsil you have to start a thread with those Dog Heads and I am sure everyone will follow like a pack of mad dogs, Very nice and would love to see some more

The first use of the dog head shield was Union Cut Co in the late teens (circa 1919). There were several different models of knives at that time with the famous dog head shield. These first dog heads will not have KA-BAR on the dog shield. When the KA-BAR brand was adopted in 1923 there were a few models the same as earlier Union Cut models, but now they had KA-BAR on the shield as well as on the tang of the main blade. Several other models were added, but I believe they all were discontinued around 1942 with the onset of WW2. In 1977 the new KA-BAR company (no longer related to the original Union Cut Co.) re-introduced two models of dog head knives in a model that was available pre-WW2. Since then they have made more models with the dog head shields, but they are not models that were the same as the originals. If one studies the shields closely it is easy to tell the difference between the originals and the modern ones. Also the originals were all large knives 4&1/2" closed or larger, whereas there are many newer ones which are smaller knives. There are also known knives stamped Western States and Napanoch which have the dog head shields and these were made on contract for those companies by Union Cut Co.

Thanks much for the wealth of knowledge! And that is a really nice collection you've got there. I'd also love to see some close-up photos and a thread dedicated to them.

Gunsil, nice spine locks. You ever find any with a bail on the bottom bolster? Super rare. Love the roof line green bone.

I do not have any with bails and I would be very suspicious of any with a bail since it would likely be added after the knife left the factory. I moved recently and am unsure of where the rest of my dogs are at this time. When I find them I may then start a thread about them. I do not have an example of every model. I am going to the EPKCA show this coming weekend, and the NCCA show in two weeks and will be busy getting my sale knives ready for the shows. Perhaps I can get some close up pics together of the knives seen here in early-mid May. I hope some of you are here in the northeast and can go to one or both of these shows, hope to see you there!!

Nice bit of history there. Hope you find the rest of them and post them when you get some free time. Thanks for sharing!

They made a couple different hobos with dog head shields, one with spoon and one without spoon. Missing tine is not great but there are many more criteria for evaluating a knife. A photo would be necessary and even then a paid membership is required to ask values here. If you are an ebay seller just start it at $9.99 and I assure you it will reach fair market value. There are also KA-BAR hobos without a dog head that are smaller than the dog head ones, I have no idea which one you refer to without photos. Kindly post a photo or several.

Last edited:
Back