Dog's Head Utility-The First Thirty Days

KA-BAR Dog's Head Utility - The first 30 Days

After receiving this knife, I felt obligated to test it out. I see so much written about the original KA-BAR. Some of it good, some not so good. With many folks it has achieved almost legendary status. While others write it off as old school, aging, and weak.

Since that last sentence seems to fit me more now than it used to. I thought we might make a good team.

This is not an original idea, nor is it mine. Some of the stuff you will see, I have already done with other knives. Much of it right here on this forum.

How much new stuff does anyone today really do with a knife? When two cavemen lashed a sharp rock to a stick, and sliced open their first critter, that was groundbreaking. Today everything is just a rehash. I will try to keep it somewhat interesting, but you get what you get.

Disclaimer #1,
My credentials. I don't have any. None, zero, nada. Just a guy, with a knife. About as boring as it gets. If this is a problem, stop reading right now.

If I was anymore of a none entity. I could work for the C.I.A. Maybe I did. I can't remember. They do some weird stuff to your mind. Those Culinary Institute people will stop at nothing to achieve their objectives.

There was a brief stint in a Special Operations Detachment of the Cub Scouts. "The Weblos" But that ended badly. Something about throwing a box of .22s in the fire. Might have made it through that. But tying the snitching troop leader's kid to a tree at night in his jam jams, finished it. No Rolling Stone interviews for me.

Then to add insult to injury, the SEALs, stole my song.
"At night when your sleeping, the Weblos come a creeping in your bed" no royalties either. But I digress.

This is about the knife, the KA-BAR Dog's Head Utility.

I personally find it hard to pick up any KA-BAR, without feeling some of its history in my hand. This knife may be old school and outdated. But it has earned its reputation in a way that demands respect. What other knife can claim what this knife can?

Part of what inspired me to go ahead and do this was Semper Praesidio's thread on what do you use your U.S.M.C. for? It got me to thinking about what this knife could or couldn't do.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1295011-What-do-you-use-your-USMC-for

I have a unique way of testing knives. I just use them. I don't have any great testing criteria. I just do stuff I need to do. I live in the northern Adirondacks. So I have the raw materials.

Disclaimer #2,
But part of my dilema is, what do you do with this knife. Or say about it. That hasn't already been done or said. In places like Tarawa, Bougainville, or Iwo. Tough act to follow.

Fortunately, KA-BAR took the Dog's Head in a decidedly more civilian direction. So that is where I will focus my time and efforts. Doing things that many average folks might try and do. Boy, does that take a lot of pressure off. My neighbors seem a little more relaxed too. Nobody wanted to pull sentry duty anyway. Slackers!

Even the stamp is decidedly demilitarized. I call it the Pirate Dog.

The leather sheath shares the logo,

I like this knife. But I am no "Fan Boy" I will try to be objective in my assessments. Thirty days is a long time to just use one knife. But like others, I think it will emphasize what it does well and what it does not.

So let's begin and see how this works out.

One of the first things I do with any knife I plan on keeping, is cook with it. I figure what good is a knife that can't feed you? Nothing new here, just breakfast. Indoors even.

Slicing up some peppers and onions can tell you a lot about a knife. Sharpness, thickness, friction, steel type, and other assorted goodies. The Dog's Head made quick work of it.

Next a little chopping. Here is one place where I see many newer survival knives suffer. Those with the handles angled down, and the overly thick ones, make slicing and chopping food way more difficult than it has to be.

English Muffin,

And finally some ham and cheese. All good, and better than expected. Even on the soft Monterey Jack. It actually cut that better than some of my kitchen knives. The coating maybe, or perhaps juice from the veggies.

Another piece of old school, outdated, iron. Older than I am and still serving me well,

To be honest this is one of the uglier omelets I have made in a while. But it is what it is. Trying to take pictures and cook presents some unique challenges. But it is still better than what I see in some diners. The knife butters bread well.

First two weak spots have already appeared. One minor, one more important, First this knife is 1095 steel, so any exposed steel needs to be looked after. No big deal, but needs to be mentioned.
And it won't do the dishes. I left for twenty minutes, and when I returned, it was still just sitting there.

Well that is the first installment. Not overly impressive for a survival/utility knife of this pedigree. But if one is to survive, one must eat.

More to come,

Nice work. I appreciate some good humor in a post. I feel like sometimes people take their reviews too seriously. You... I'm not getting that vibe from :p.

And I submit that the dogs head is either a pirate dog like you say, or perhaps a racing dog (can't tell if thats an eye patch, or goggles... and are those flames... or an ascot coming out of the back of its head?).

The next installment should be great :D.

(can't tell if thats an eye patch, or goggles... and are those flames... or an ascot coming out of the back of its head?).

I believe that is one of Zorro's spare masks and Krypto's cape.

I like the tongue-in-cheek review. I use my knives in everyday tasks much more frequently than they EVER get used saving the world from zombies or little green men.

Lost Viking that is brilliant! Can't wait for the rest. You have a great sense of humor bud which really makes me want to read more. Keep it coming brother!

:thumbup: I'm in, thanks for the chance!

I mean uh... subscribed!

How wide is the tang inside the stacked leather handle? Is it as wide as the tang on the stacked-leather tanto?

~Chris

Day 2,

Well today started out a little slow. It is currently pouring and with the escaped prisoners within a few miles of my house. I wasn't overly anxious to charge out the door.

But things soon perked up. We had a celebrity guest stop by to say hello. None other than James Dean. For those of your who may not be old enough to remember Mr, Dean. He was a Hollywood icon. Starring in such block busters as East of Eden, and Giant. He even did a Christmas movie. Rebel without a Claus.

It was all going so well. Myself, James and the K, sitting around the table sharing stories. But suddenly James got mouthy. He was always a kind of volatile.

He mouthed off to the Dog's Head one too many times. The attack was quick and ruthless. It was over before it started. James was nearly cut in half.

That is about as exciting as I can make cutting, wrapping, and freezing bulk sausage.

Breakfast was a similar affair to yesterday. With parts of Jimmy in place of the ham. I won't bore you with the details.

A lesson, most of the stuff you will use your knife for is mundane and boring. That won't sell as many knives as taking out Zombies. But it is a fact of life.

Some quick background on those prisoners I mentioned above.

I live in a peaceful, rural little part of the northern Adironadacks. That peace was shattered a few Saturdays ago, when to convicts escaped from the Clinton County Correctional Facility. Commonly called Dannemora. It takes that name from the town in which it was built. It has also become known as "Little Siberia" a fairly accurate description. Dannemora is roughly twenty-four miles from my house. Considerably less if you're a crow.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Dannemora+Prison+Break&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I was at first, relatively confident they would not head this way. But as I mentioned in my Nessmuk thread, not 100% confident. Living on an unpopulated dead end road has me a tad twitchy.

This past weekend, it was reported they were sighted somewhere near the Pennsylvania border. Which put me at ease for a bit. But that seems to have been a false report. Later that same weekend DNA and other assorted signs has put them considerably closer. Perhaps an actual sighting by the owner of the cabin where they may have taken refuge. In a tiny town called Owl's Head.

That now has them way inside my comfort zone. Inside the six to ten mile range four days ago. Not cool.

On the up side. I have spent quite a bit of time in the area between here and Owl's Head. It is rugged, unforgiving terrain, home to coyotes, bear, and a small moose population. During a stint up in there last summer. I was coming upon a fresh pile of bear scat everyday for five days in a row. I wondered if the bear was finding mine as well. Lots of moose sign and the ever present yip of the yotes.

To add to the intrigue. Three truck loads of heavily armed, kevlar helmeted, plate armored lawmen, roughly thirty to thirty-six men. Rolled up my road last Friday and piled into the woods toward an abandoned hunting cabin directly across the road from my house.. They were there for about an hour and left with no shots fired. I am not sure what they were looking for, or what they found. But needless to say, it got my attention.

So please take my early posts here with the understanding that I am moving slower and more cautiously through my woods and the surrounding area than I normally would.
With at least eight or nine different law agencies roaming around and helos overhead flying grid searches. The days have become very interesting.

On that note. It is a little more comforting to have a KA-BAR strapped to my side than a Puukko. Nothing against the little guy. But I just feel better with the real deal.

But life goes on. You just can't hole up for ever. So on to today's real task.

The Tri-Pod,
A quick trip up on the hill to grab some small saplings for today's task.

After picking out a tree, I had at it, with the Dog's Head. Everybody knows the KA-Bar is not the best chopper. But it gets the job done just the same. Better than some might imagine.

I worked my way around the tree. A baton would have helped here. But I decided to just chop. It went pretty fast. Green wood and a sharp knife.

Soon enough I was dragging my sticks back to camp.

Disclaimer #3,
I already had two cut for a previous project. So I only had to grab one more.
I am a full disclosure kind of guy.

Moving right along.

Lop off the branches, and baton all three sticks to roughly the same length. This step really isn't that important.

Y'all carry T.W.I.N.E. in your packs right?

Lay out your three poles. I like to put something underneath them to make it easier to weave the twine. You can use Para-cord here, if you want. But it is about twenty times more expensive. Plus if you leave, the twine is biodegradable. Trust me the twine it tough enough. Bonus points if you can tell which pole is the new one.

Before you start lashing, make sure the bottoms of your poles are even. This is why the length really doesn't matter. Who cares if the tops are different.

Then tie a Clove Hitch to one of the outside poles. Leaving a tail about 3" long. Wrap that tail around the live end of the twine. And begin the over under lashing, called wrapping.

Have you guys met the "Self Contained All Purpose Camouflaged Attack Cat" yet?
He likes to work with rope.

Here he is again, checking to make sure I have the proper tension,

Now he shows how to start the weave, he is very helpful,

Lash/Wrap over and under each pole approximately six to eight times. It should look something like this,

Then wrap the twine in between each pole. It's called Frapping. And finish off with another clove hitch. I like to use two.

Poof, you have a Tri-Pod,

Remember you can always make them shorter. You can't make them longer. You don't need huge poles. These are smaller than wrist size. Lot of strength in triangles.

One last shot of the lashing,

Thanks for the help KA,

Very very cool! Great job on the lashing, I learned something! I think it's great to do a review from ordinary folks like most of us , doing normal daily ,often times mundane, tasks. I'll keep an eye on this and thanks forndoin this!

Dude no wonder you're twitchy. I've been following that story over here. Having them potentially that close would give anyone the willies. Perhaps you should use your new KABAR to make some punji traps. Then strap your puuko to your attack cat. Seriously though, here's to hoping you stay safe. Keep up the awesome thread LV! Defs subscribed to this one!

Day 3,
Wood Fired Steak,

The Dog's Head helps with dinner.

Today it seems, you're not a real woodsman if you don't baton. So without further ado, here I am making bigger pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood. Just some wood I grabbed out of the woods. This is what the smart survivalist would do right? I wrote KA-BAR'S warrantee hotline number on the back of the sheath in case the knife exploded. It didn't,

With my knife still intact. I set out to make the smaller pieces of wood, smaller yet.

I worked up a few different size fuzzle berry sticks. Kind of like lead, pencil, thumb, for fuzzle berries. This knife had no problem doing these.

Add in some Birch Bark, and the small sticks you made and touch it off. It has been raining here a lot so even the dry stuff is damp. The birch helps accelerate the drying process.

Soon enough, we had a decent fire,

To which, I added some real wood. Cherry to be exact. I like how my steak comes out cooked over cherry.

Let it burn down to a good batch of coals, level them up and toss on the steaks. I bought a sirloin tip roast for around 4.89/lb. then sliced it into steaks. I got five decent sized steaks out of it. Cheaper than baloney too.

Wait until you see some blood starting to bubble out of the top. Then flip them over.
Coals will stick to them, and the whole mess will look hideous. Fear not!

I cooked these two another five minutes after flipping. And then removed from the heat and let them rest for about ten minutes. If you want juicy steak, or meat of any kind. This is the most important step in the process. You can knock some coals off now if you want.

What they looked like after the rest period. I don't know about you folks, but I'm getting hungry.

This is my new KA-BAR's most important mission to date. By a long shot. Slicing these bad boys up. I usually grind out some sea salt right on the board.

This blade is a very decent slicer,

I have done this at parties, and it usually gets eaten faster than I can slice it. I can not begin to describe how good this is. Light years better than anything I have ever gotten in a restaurant. The sun setting on a perfect hunk of meat.

Only one thing could make this better. You guessed it, an ice cold local brew,

"Self Contained" guards my six while I eat. He is a fearsome beastie.

And finally some KA-BAR symbolism, with a western theme,

Last edited:
How wide is the tang inside the stacked leather handle? Is it as wide as the tang on the stacked-leather tanto?

~Chris

Chris,
I will look tomorrow, but maybe OKB will chime in with the official answer.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It's been a hoot so far.

Oh man....drool. Any preseasoning? And the coals don't leave any grit or do you wipe them down. Sounds like us just knockem off and start slicing. I gotta try this, this thread is getting better and better, keep it up bud and thanks!!!

Oh man....drool. Any preseasoning? And the coals don't leave any grit or do you wipe them down. Sounds like us just knockem off and start slicing. I gotta try this, this thread is getting better and better, keep it up bud and thanks!!!

Pretty much just knock them off. Just a quick scrape with a knife and your good to go. The only time it gets complicated is in the woods, after dark with alcohol involved. But for the most part it's a no brainer.

There are a few requiremants, decently dry hard wood. I like cherry or apple. But others will work fine. Hard maple, beech, what ever. You need a thicker bed of coals than you might imagine. Like yesterday, the ground started out wet, and the meat takes a lot of BTUs.

You can't really add wood once you start so it has to be hot at the beginning. Leveling them up or moving them around, sheds any ash that might be present. A slightly thicker cut works well. But it doesn't have to be much different.,we have use steaks from the store many times.

The biggest challenge with new folks trying this. Is to get them to leave it on there long enough. Folks think it will be ruined. So the pull it off early. Then they slice into it to check right away. So the rest period goes out the window. Then they throw it back on to finish cooking with a big gash down the middle. While still edible, the quality goes down.

There is definitely a learning curve, but it is not a steep one.

For seasoning, I rubbed in some corse ground black pepper on the top side, you can see it in the photo. Save the salt for after cooking.

I have also inserted some halved garlic cloves into small slits made in the sides prior to cooking.

Another variation on this is to make a paste out of water and salt. A thick white paste. Rub it onto the steak until the entire steak is covered with the pasta. Then wrap it in clean white damp, paper towels. And toss it on the coals.

This puts some folks at ease because their meat doesn't touch the coals. The paper towels keep the paste from falling off when cooking and pretty much burn off in the process. For this, I usually figure about eight or nine minutes on the first side and six or seven after the flip. Or it cab be covered on both sides with hot coals. Again, some seriously good eating.

It's all really just caveman stuff.

Great thread, LostViking. I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and man, does that steak look good.

The biggest challenge with new folks trying this. Is to get them to leave it on there long enough. Folks think it will be ruined. So the pull it off early. Then they slice into it to check right away. So the rest period goes out the window. Then they throw it back on to finish cooking with a big gash down the middle. While still edible, the quality goes down.

+1 I think folks make this mistake on the grill too. It just takes trying it and learning.

A scout master I know would like to torture his scout troop in a similar fashion. He would take them out and they were each supposed to provide their own meal, pack everything in and cook it. While they were busy opening cans, boiling water, etc... He would go up to the fire, rake out a bed of coals and plop a nice, thick steak on the top of them. He says you could have heard a pin drop as the scouts quit what they were doing and all eyes immediately zeroed in on the steak.

Back