Dogs loose in the woods-your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody..... I'm not sure what your point is.... even after the "just so I'm clear" post...

You have to take everything people say with a grain of salt. Whether they'd like to admit it or not, most will not react the way they claim. I learned this to be true for most things (martial arts, mountain biking, canoeing, wilderness survival... etc) You can say whatever you want, that doesn't mean it will play out like that... especially in a high-stress situation.

A lot of folks like to throw out the old "If that was me, I'd..." or "Next time I'll just..."

There is a saying. "Hindsight is 20/20" Things seem much more cut and dry when your not knee deep in it. You can't truly put yourself in someone elses shoes.

rick

Last edited:
I have a Sheltie dog, hes about 25 lbs and always stays on a leash.

Very often dogs not on a leash come up to us, once or twice my dog was bitten on the leg (not seriously, but still...)

Then from a mile away the idiot owner always says something like, "Dont worry, my dog is friendly" while their dog is growling at mine...

And of course if I tell them to hurry up and come and get their god-damned dog off of me, its my fault.

Most times, I just pick up my dog and keep walking.

Way back when, I learned that the only thing known about a man with a weapon is the weapon. You don't know him; you don't know his intentions; the only thing you do know is that he has a weapon and is displaying that weapon. A prudent man must assume that if an unknown man is displaying a weapon, he intends to use it. It's far better to react to that weapon and do what's necessary, than to assume that he really means to buy you an ice cream cone.

The same goes for dogs: if an unknown dog charges you while displaying his weapon (teeth), you would be well advised to react to the weapon displayed, than to think the dog is cuddly and playful.

If, on the other hand, a little pooch comes up peacefully, wagging his tail and looking for a pat on the head, you should respond appropriately to that, too: pet the pooch, and go on your way. I would hope that most of us can tell the difference between the two kinds of dogs.

I was struggling with a way to make this same point. Thanks for saving me the typing:thumbup:

Nobody..... I'm not sure what your point is.... even after the "just so I'm clear" post...

You have to take everything people say with a grain of salt. Whether they'd like to admit it or not, most will not react the way they claim.
rick

Yeah, I can be little rambling sometimes trying to make sure my point is digestible to the unwashed masses. ;)

My point was simply that reasonable people usually have a good degree of tolerance, and it was something I wasn't hearing a lot of in this thread. Your right, I should take to heart that most of what people write, here and in most places, is hot air and not reality when the rubber hits the road. I've got really strong opinions and feelings about a lot of things, but in my personal day-to-day dealings with people you'd be hard pressed to find a more quiet, tolerant person with people's BS than me. The world might move along a little easier if people tried to be both courteous to each other AND somewhat tolerant of the general state of humanity's retardedness. Hope that is a little clearer. :cool:

I was struggling with a way to make this same point. Thanks for saving me the typing:thumbup:

See... despite what my ex-wife said, I am good for something: I'm a typing-saver.

The way I see it, dogs are people, too. Most are good, a few aren't. I hope all the dogs that any of us meet are the good ones.

You better be willing to fight to the death with the owner, because a lot of people would go absolutely ballistic if you shot at their dog for being a friggin good guard dog.

I believe this all happened in the parking lot before he even got on the trail. I believe I got in this same squabble on that thread.

Basically: If I hear someone come up and my dog walks up and barks at them, then I hear gun shots. I'm going to run up there and will probably yell some threatening things. Does this mean I'm going to do them? I believe he was unarmed as well?

Oh crap, too late, we'll never know because I have a bunch of 10mm slugs in my chest. Another case of preemptive strikes that I do not support or believe in.

The altercation happened in the lot, as the hiker was leaving. There was a strange man by his car lurking (repeat criminal offender, and mentally unstable, although the hiker did not know that).

I will say it again, if a dog charges me being aggressive, I will not, I repeat, will not wait for the dog to actually bite me to feel justified in shooting it.

If I am forced to shoot your aggressive dog because it was about to attack me, and you charge me yelling that you are going kill me or hurt me, and I have a smoking gun in my hand, you better expect when you get withing a dangerous distance, if you do not stop, you will also have a few slugs in the chest. If your aggressive dog, not on a leash, and not on your fenced property charges some one and they shoot your dog, because you were being an irresponsible dog owner, you better remain calm and not make the situation much much worse, and life threatening to you as well.

You better be willing to fight to the death with the owner, because a lot of people would go absolutely ballistic if you shot at their dog for being a friggin good guard dog.

what are they guarding? the public land that both parties are on? I can see dogs guarding a private property or industrial complex, but public land is for ALL :)

The audio on this is very annoying but listen past the person video taping this and to the others and especially the owner of "shrimpcake" who states she doesn't bite. This is an example of a typical encounter.
The dog is loose and barking aggresively yet wagging his tail but does show teeth and at one point.
To me this would be a nervous situation but not worthy of beating it with my hiking stick until he attempts to get at me. If he attempted to (1)charge me or (2)tries nipping me, he would be (1) beaten ugly with my stick or (2) stabbed respectively.

For you dog owners who claim retaliation if your dog is harmed after a situation like this, i just don't understand you.

[youtube]U3DY07kHAxY[/youtube]

The kindest thing I can say about those people is that they're idiots. If none of them were bitten, they probably should have been.

People that would "lose it" if somebody killed their dog need to have control over the dog.

Let me get this right, your going to go hiking with a dog that does not obey your commands, then when it goes running up on me barking and charging with you yelling for it to come back, and it basically ignoring you and I bash it in the cranium, you are going to blame me for the incident and come after me?

OK, bring it on, because at that point I am going to consider you just as aggressive as the dog "used to be" before I dispatched it.

Heck, I am pretty comfortable with that because you have shown a pretty good lack of judgement so I guess I am going to have a pretty good chance of winning that one.

Now on the other hand, if you have an unleashed dog and I come around the bend and you yell "Heel" and the pup saddles up beside you, or you have Fido on a leash and a decent grip, we are going to part as friends.

is it wrong that i felt beating all those youth with a bat after watching that?

No but there is one sensible one (girl) barely audible in the background asking around 2:15 (shouting as the dog shows teeth) to the owner "Does he bite?" and the owner answering the typical "no" and then the girls and others response of "it's all good".:confused:

I don't know about you but that certainly wouldn't have reassured me.

Last edited:
The audio on this is very annoying but listen past the person video taping this and to the others and especially the owner of "shrimpcake" who states she doesn't bite. This is an example of a typical encounter.
The dog is loose and barking aggresively yet wagging his tail but does show teeth and at one point.
To me this would be a nervous situation but not worthy of beating it with my hiking stick until he attempts to get at me. If he attempted to (1)charge me or (2)tries nipping me, he would be (1) beaten ugly with my stick or (2) stabbed respectively.

For you dog owners who claim retaliation if your dog is harmed after a situation like this, i just don't understand you.

[youtube]U3DY07kHAxY[/youtube]

As I said earlier, dogs have a remarkable ability to mirror back the emotional state of the people they encounter. The dog in the vid looks a little nervous, but also mostly playful -- just like the stupid teenagers who are screwing with it.

That's why I said that a leash is a great tool to help a dog owner control the humans he and his dog are interacting with. Humans are far stupider than dogs nearly all of the time.

Yeah, that probably is a typical encounter.... owner of dog doesn't keep it on her own property as she should, annoying people antagonize dog instead of ignoring it doing it's barking thing, someone gets bitten, dog gets hurt, people get hurt.... All retardedness completely avoidable if both the owner kept their dog on their own property and if the antagonizing teens had just kept on walking and ignored the dog.

I've been in this situation more times than I can possibly even count and 99.9% of the time I just keep walking and the dog just stops barking, moving around and goes about his business. Here doggy, arf arf arf, teeheehee, look at him bark, teeheehee..... probably deserved a bite.

Yeah, that probably is a typical encounter.... owner of dog doesn't keep it on her own property as she should, annoying people antagonize dog instead of ignoring it doing it's barking thing, someone gets bitten, dog gets hurt, people get hurt.... All retardedness completely avoidable if both the owner kept their dog on their own property and if the antagonizing teens had just kept on walking and ignored the dog.

I've been in this situation more times than I can possibly even count and 99.9% of the time I just keep walking and the dog just stops barking, moving around and goes about his business. Here doggy, arf arf arf, teeheehee, look at him bark, teeheehee..... probably deserved a bite.

I agree they started to antagonize the dog but the dog approached them before this started as they were just passing thru and this is what this whole thread is about. Leash your doggies.

edited to keep this in W&SS (My survival skills include defending myself against aggressive animals while out)

Bumped into a lot of dogs while out and about. Last summer had a large hound come into camp in the middle of the night and start rummaging for food, I was 3 miles from a trailhead in the Nantahala National Forest, I shined my flashlight at him and spoke to him, he came over with his head down and proceeded to crawl into my shelter and curl up beside me. He stayed with me for 2 days then his owner came up the trail calling and I don't think I have ever seen a happier dog. Now I am not saying all dogs are like this one, it was just an interesting story that I wanted to relate. I didn't mention that there was a glock 26 loaded with winchester silvertips in the hand that wasn't holding the flashlight.

I have ran up on some bad dogs and good dogs, I have never had a problem telling the difference, just like if it was a person, if I feel I, or whoever is with me, is in danger I will react with force. If I don't feel like I am in danger I will enjoy meeting the dog and go on about my day, just like I do when I meet new people. Chris

No but there is one sensible one (girl) barely audible in the background asking around 2:15 (shouting as the dog shows teeth) to the owner "Does he bite?" and the owner answering the typical "no" and then the girls and others response of "it's all good".:confused:

I don't know about you but that certainly wouldn't have reassured me.

The correct answer to "does he bite?" is nearly always "only idiots and assholes." Usually, only idiots ask this question, since no one will ever answer "yes."

Leashes help dog owners minimize interactions with idiots (of which there are a plenitude), and don't interfere with your dog's ability to spot an asshole (of which there are relatively few).

what are they guarding? the public land that both parties are on? I can see dogs guarding a private property or industrial complex, but public land is for ALL :)

they're guarding YOU...their pack leader....

Honestly, this thread worries me. It seems like a lot of you pack heat and are VERY EAGER to use it....but what do I know. I only carry a 30-30 over my shoulder. And would never even chamber a round and aim at a dog.

If you want to have your hand on your sidearm then so be it. Just please be picky about what dogs you go about shooting. Cause you might catch a 10mm in your own chest for doing it.

I'm out of this conversation because I feel targeted, and again HAWAI'I NO KA OI....When you crazys come on vacation dont forget your return ticket.

I'm stoked we dont have crazy ex mil guys hiking around packing heat with the intention of using it on something other than pigs/goats.

As far as the dog in the video goes? Those guys behind the camera served every bark and nip they got. They provoked the dog, continued to provoke the dog, then ran from the dog, then CONTINUED to provoke the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back