How To Downunder Outback

Hi
I just bought the Downunder Outback Bowie and my question is, what is the sharpening angle of the knife on both sides ?

Hi
I just bought the Downunder Outback Bowie and my question is, what is the sharpening angle of the knife on both sides ?
Well, since you seem to have a worksharp system, just mark the edge with a sharpie, set an angle, make a couple light passes and see what is removed, adjust the angle accordingly. Chase the sharpie ink until the stone removes it in one shot. I'd bet that the edges are not consistent anyhow based on past history of that company.....so just pick a good angle that you think will work and do both sides.

Man, I'm gonna' get BURNED in effigy for this...

When I've been out at a remote Farm or Ranch, and had to touch-up the edge on my Outback, I've used an AccuSharp, which perfectly touches up the edge at about 20*-21* DPS...

20220812_081339 (BF).jpg

I keep it centered on the blade and apply ZERO pressure as I run it across the edge. Once the edge is "trained" to the angles, the AccuSharp glides like a "High Speed Rail" train. It makes no sound and simply glides.

If you hate the above option, getcha' a Lansky "Turn Box" or Spyderco "Sharpmaker". Either will put a nice 20* DPS micro-bevel on the Outback. (*although neither performs ideally for such a long blade)

Back