DPX HEST Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my HEST folder in, finally. It is without a doubt the hardest to open folder I have ever owned.

HTUT011.jpg

HTUT002.jpg

Last edited:
lol will do man but i like my fixed hest:D:D esee makes a hell of a good blade

I love my fixed blade HEST and wanted a folder model.

Last edited:
The lionsteel sr-1s are pretty good maybe it's just the dpx folders they have problems with?

Really sorry to hear this, Horn Dog.
Amazing that this is the same company that did Molletta's folder project, the SR-1. I have 2 of those, and both are fantastic, flawless, and sharp as heck. The SR-1 is actually nicer than some custom folders I own. :thumbup:
Odd how the same company hit a home run with that folder, and is having so much difficulty with this HEST folder... :confused:

ETA: RYP says that he backs his product(s)... Maybe try sending it back for another?

Do you have one, or are you going on their advertizing? I will never buy anything from them again. You can be certain of that.

I have one, the fit and finish is superb. No problems to speak of, other than it took me a long time to get one since it seems they have problems with meeting production demand. Maybe that's why they had problems with DPx folder?

inb4thelock..

I'm sure Jeff will be on here to lock this up and once again tell you to keep the DPx stuff out of here.. :\

If you're trying to open the knife by holding it as in your photo, I'm not surprised you can't force it open.

If that's your only criticism of the knife, (as it seems it is?) maybe you'll like it more if you try and hold it as I explain in my review:

In common with all frame locks you have to be careful not to squeeze the lock bar against the blade with your fingertips when opening, many people don’t realize they are doing that and get frustrated at how hard a frame lock is to open. You have to hold it in a way that feels a bit unusual at first but you soon get used to it. On the HEST/F I touch the pocket clip with my last 3 fingertips and my forefinger doesn’t touch the knife. I push forward with my thumb, not out or up but forward, towards the tip on the front of the scales.

Hope that helps and you end up liking the knife, or moving on to a knife you like better :)

If you're trying to open the knife by holding it as in your photo, I'm not surprised you can't force it open.

If that's your only criticism of the knife, (as it seems it is?) maybe you'll like it more if you try and hold it as I explain in my review:

Hope that helps and you end up liking the knife, or moving on to a knife you like better :)

And Bingo was his name O.....

Post in the middle of the night to fly under the Mod radar for a while, pretty sneaky... My spidey sense detects the lock hammer will be a swingin' on this one pretty soon.:rolleyes:
Just sayin

Doesn't look bad at all from the pics, like others have suggested, contact DPX, they'll More than likely make it right.

SJ

Bad reviews are always a touchy subject. Seeing as it's a manufacture review I think it fits here. I normally dismiss these things as some overly picky whine-ass. However, you have to consider the source, and horn dog here isn't your average mall ninja.

I know we've all seen Jeff ask over and over not to post this stuff here. ESEE and DPX are not the same and ESEE has nothing to do with the folder.

Last edited:
How about that? We actually have a forum for knife reviews. I think I'll move this there. :)

I didn't want to say anything, but I think this new Lionsteel model is hideous and...well, somewhat impractical from a pure design standpoint.

At any rate, like the others, I'd like to hear more specifics about the deplorable quality cited.

As others have mentioned, holding a framelock in such a way as to put force into the lockbar can greatly increase the resistance it takes to open it, a problem I've recently encountered on my meager CRKT Blur Ripple. And, like they said, it can be avoided by alternate grips or simply by holding the folder gently.

That said, it's best avoided by designing the knife better. You won't ever have this problem in, say, a nicer Kershaw KO framelock, because the clip covers the lockbar or otherwise directs the force of your clenched hand around it.

But assuming that this all gets worked out, can someone tell me what's so great about this knife, theoretically? I really liked the SR-1, so I'm willing to give this thing a chance, but man, I'm just not seeing the attraction.

Let me get this straight. You're boycotting Lionsteel over a knife that wasn't what you expected.. but instead of trying to get the issue rectified - you instead come here and bitch about how terrible Lionsteel is ? You wouldn't happen to be insane, would you ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back