Drop Forged Push Dagger

Razor

Gold Member
I just ordered one from SMKW for $50. Are they worth it? Should I try to sharpen the back side of the blade?

Ray

It is indeed ground on both sides like the old Terminator/Defender/Safekeeper push daggers. It's a large, thick & very solid blade. Depending on ones skill at sharpening, it could be done, but it is definitely better suited for thrusting than cutting.

I would say it's worth what you're paying for it and more. They were more expensive when they came out a few years ago, and were (and are) still worth the price of back then.

Please let us know what you think of it when you get it.

The Drop Forged Push Knife is one of the better push knives available today, Sure would be nice to see a semi custom version with stag grip inserts and a nice leather sheath with a snap to hold the blade in place. But it's pretty damn impressive out of the box.

How do you sharpen a safe maker one? I've been trying on my ceramics but I cannot get it very sharp. I guess that's why it's thrusting weapon?

I don't think this type of grind is intended to be able to cut anything but soft material, and even that is just secondary to stabbing.

The hollow side makes sharpening difficult.

Even with conventional grinds narrow daggers tend to be more difficult to sharpen than a single edged blade the same thickness, and this hollow single grind compounds this issue.

It is not a chisel grind which can be sharpened enough to cut or even chop well depending on the size of the blade.

Back