Drop point confusion.............

MCM

Gold Member
I started out looking for the best Loveless style
drop point hunter in ATS-34 or 154CM I could find.
(For under $200.00)
I have looked at several custom knife makers
and have not been all that thrilled for what
I want to spend.
The A.G Russell version come's very close (Japan).
Then I wandered of looking at the Cuda Talon
in both Talonite, and 154CM.
Any thoughts on this?
This knife will be used, not a show piece.
Thoughts appreciated.

Welcome to Bladeforums! There's a Camillus forum here, in the Manufacturers section -- search that forum and you'll find plenty of posts from Talon users. Summary: Everybody loves it. :)

I'm kinda partial to this new Scott Cook Large Owyhee in S30V at Rc60-61. It is in the $195 price range (I provided the ironwood):

Attachments

• cook scott large owyhee ironwood s30v mine.jpg
    cook scott large owyhee ironwood s30v mine.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 239
The AG Russell loveless style made in Japan is a good buy for the money. If the stag version hadn't sold out, i would be strongly tempted.

Andrew Limsk

I'll second the Wayne Hendrix recommendation.
I bought one of his knives several years ago with Cocobolo scales, mirror polished ATS-34 blade ground really thin and perfect quality.
I think I paid some ridiculously small amount like $130 for it. But, it was just too pretty for me to use so I sold it to some lucky Bladeforums Bastid!
Everything about it was perfect; the solder joint at the blade/guard junction, handle scale colors on the 2 sides, grinds, blade polish, fit in the hand, and possibly the sharpest knife I've ever bought (besides Dozier's stuff).
I don't know what his web site address is, but it would be worth your while to look it up.
Lenny

GenO Denning is who I would look at. I have had four of his knives and the are incredible. I carry one of his hunters everytime I am in the field. It has taken care of about 100 birds as well as several four legged animals.

Take a look at Marbles Custom. I've been very happy and you can keep a few $'s in your pocket. Good Luck!

Back