Duck! Bounceback stories?

Joezilla

Moderator- Wilderness and Survival Skills
I've been to a few throwing tournaments (didn't too well mind you), and hung out with some local throwing groups, but this was the closest I've ever been/seen to anyone getting nailed with a bounce back. It just barely ever happens. Has anyone else had a close call or gotten bruised or nicked?

[youtube]d3x573VaZIs[/youtube]

And it happened to be on camera :D

Last edited:
Hi Joezilla -

Wow - I ducked from my chair!

That fellow has great reflexes.

I have only tried that a few times this fall, but I intend to get a set of throwers to play around in camp etc. next spring.

I was not really thinking about that (bounceback) as a possibility, but I will now!

My buddy and I stand further back when we tried this - not for safety, just because we don't know what we are doing.

Glad the fellow was not injured.

best regards -

mqqn

all knifes can bounce back just as hard and as fast as you throw them and I've had my fair share. Thats why I like to stand further back then most when starting, (I like 16-18 feet depending on the knife or up to 23-24 feet for another rotation). That distance gives me enuf time to get the heck out of the way if one does bouce back. I also wear safty glasses for this reason as you can pretty much repair everything at home if a throwing knife hits ya except for perhaps a punctured eye (I'm thinking a traditional throwing knife, not a crazy ass sharp one with a sharpened edge which can shave like a cold steel true flight of which I have 3. I'm still scared to throw these for this reason..).

on a side note: I once saw this chick on youtube, http://www.youtube.com/user/Xolette . Some what pretty girl (i dont normally like asian chicks but hey, I'd hit it a few times before I quite it) but she's gonna loose a fken eye by throwing indoors and less then 6 feet away with no eye protection. Chicks with one eye dont really turn me on unless... perhaps if she lets me use her eye socket as a... never mind haha :) there are a few throws on her videos which actually do bounce back... Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited:
I dunno man. Sometimes the eyepatch look works
Molotov_cocktease.jpg

she.jpg

A few days after I got my first set of knives one bounced back and the tip got me right on the knee, then my pants started to turn red so I ran inside. Now I know to pay more attention while throwing. Other than that my close call of all time was actually while spectating my brother throw, one bounced and flew by inches away from my noggin, the distance I watch others throw has now changed as well.

I dunno man. Sometimes the eyepatch look works
Molotov_cocktease.jpg

she.jpg

idk man, depth perception is some what important to me... its one of the first things I look for in a chick but hey thats me, I also like a girl with nice straight teeth and a great @$$ (as al pachino does...)!

I've told this story before, so apologies.

Yeah, I was probably around 18, and demonstrating my knife throwing ability in the back room at work. In front of about three people, I threw a regular wood-handled kitchen knife (not very long, maybe under 10 inches) at a box.

They kept sticking. Around the fourth or fifth throw, I chucked the knife and it hit a metal band holding the box together. The knife bounced off the band, and spun back at me.

Instinctively, and obviously stupidly, I put my hand up and caught the knife by the blade--about a foot from my face, tip of the knife pointed right at my eye. The blade edge was pressed against the side of my fingers, and didn't even make a mark. Holy #&%@, I thought.

Everybody applauded--they assumed it was part of the act. I naturally took credit for it, but kept checking my hand for the next fifteen or twenty minutes to see if it was bleeding. And no, it didn't.

Nice throwing, Nice pose after the dodge!

Yea, bouncebacks suck. Although, I did once catch a bounce back! It was a lob off of the top of a target and it came right back into my hand. Though, most other ones aim for my legs... :^(

Yeah thats how I got to see what the knuckle of my pinkie looks like without the skin in the way. I was tossing my cs true flight thrower and the handle hit and next thing I know oh crap it's coming back at my face I moved to the side as I put my hands up it sliced the knuckle and kept going. I still have the scar to remind me. You will surprise yourself at how fast your reflexs are when a sharp knife is coming at you.

Many times.

Most of my throwers, I take the sharp edge off before throwing.

Some that I have thrown are razors when it comes to edges. They are my normal users, and occasionally get a toss.

I try to stick to dedicated throwers, though.

I have caught them, blocked them, batted them away, and stopped them with my boots.

I usually try to keep my eye protection on when throwing for just that reason.

Well I do mostly 20ft throws I dont like being to close to the target LOL.
However after I mastered throwing behind the back. Boredom you could call it brought an idea to me. Since we all know that if you have to much thumb\finger on the blade during release with not enough power you get a PAN hit (flat hit on the target).

Well .. I would purposely induce a Pan hit for a bounce back, and try to catch my knife. I got good at it for a while, and since my throwers for practice I keep dull as heck other than them being pointy I didn't worry about catching them.

One day :) after numerous good catches doom awaiting me finally caught up. I caught the point in the palm. Since I couldn't throw knifes for a few days without that messing up my throw I quit catching my bounce back trick shots and haven't done it since LOL.

Be aware of throwing your old kitchen knifes.. I was maybe 12 or so when I got my hand on an old kitchen knife.. and of course used it to throw against an old stump. The thin blade made it stick into the wood very easily.. however, with the first misshit it bounced back rapidly and hit my hand with the tip, taking out a little piece.. It came back so fast I didn't realize what happend until I felt the piercing sensation in my hand..
Over 20 years later I still have a nice little scar on my hand today..

great stories. I thought it was extremely rare for someone to get nailed with a bounceback and actually have damage.

Not rare for me at all.

Back when I was around 13 I was throwing an old boot knife at a tree, I was getting pretty good at it and starting to throw it harder and harder, untill it hit wrong and flew back right at my face ....I had just enough time to throw my arm up in front of my face.... and the knife stuck right in my wrist!

Had plenty of knives fly back at me since then, another bad one was when a Hibben thrower flew back at my chest, I caught it with my hand and unfortunately it was sharp enough to cut my thumb to the bone!

Like others, I now mostly throw from farther distances to have more time to get the heck out of the way of rebounding knives. :eek:

I applaud you. I usually can't be bothered with goggles! That's probably gonna get me one of these days. :D

I have some Wiley X sun glasses with impact resistant lenses. They are supposed to stop a shotgun at 4' with bird shot projectiles.

I don't always have them on while throwing.

I was sitting in a foxhole (army, training) bored with the waiting for nothing to happen. I was close enough to a pine that i could toss a small boot knife into it and reach out and get it without any trouble so i started doing just that. I tossed it once and it hit a little twiggy branch which shot the knife right back at me. The blade hit point first directly into the LBE Suspender strap over my left side of my chest. Thankfully the strap was thick and padded. I am not sure how i would have explained that one to my higher ups. I have learned that a clear flight path is a really good idea.

Back