Easy Scale Mod for a SAK

I was bored a few weeks ago and decided to change the scales on an old SAK Bantam. I didn't want to take too long and wanted to keep this project under a few hours. I want people to know this was soo easy!

Remove scales on an old SAK by removing toothpick and tweezers and inserting a small screwdriver and prying gently. The old scales will never again fit as tight so just throw them away. Next, go down to your local woodworking store and select some acrylic pen turning material. Your options here are vast! Cut the acrylic block into 1/8" thick scales. Mark the where the pivot pins will touch the scales and drill a small 1/4 recess just deep enough so the scales sit flat on the liners. Make sure everything is flat. Cut the scales 1/16" larger than the liner profile, this will give you a little room for forgiveness when you glue up. Next, use some good 2 part epoxy(slower the better) and let dry overnite. Then hand sand to a nice smooth finish. I took this to 400 and finished with 0000 steel wool. You could certainly go finer.

This acrylic pen material is way softer than micarta and easy to work. It will take some abuse but not as much as micarta. It's just a fun project that doesn't take very long to do.

Last edited:
Pretty good looking scales! Next time if you don't want the liners to show through might I recommend you paint the scale sides that will be glued.

Back