"Economy" side

So I ordered an "economy" side from hide house. Waisted my $$ and the last few hours! When I case it, this milky stuff comes out. Looks like crap. If I buff it a ton, it look better. Doesn't seem like it will rub well either. Any ideas on the milky stuff?

Cody, my buddy, now you know why I say "The cheapest leather you can find will wind up being the most expensive you ever bought". As to the milky stuff, no telling where (what country) it was tanned or what they used to tan it. I would certainly be hot on the phone to the Hide House looking to be made whole on this.

Paul

I've experienced that with a double shoulder from Weaver one time. They replaced it for me. They had me send it back and they had the same problems with it. Best guess was that it was tanning soloution/chemicals that wern't washed out all the way at the tannery. Who knows Stick with the HO or Wand C. Your work is worth it.

I had called to order w and c, they had some on close out. They were all out, and I let the lady talk me into this stuff. I called them already. They said to send them a piece to look at. I guess I'll have to.

The biggest problem I've had with any import leather (even the "premium" ones) is when I wet mold a sheath or case some leather, I will get green dots almost like mold on them. Sometimes a spot or two sometimes a lot of spots.I've had it occasionally happen with HO too never with W and C. Again best guess from the suppliers is all the tanning soloutions not rinsed out. Who knows. A heavy concentration of Pro Carv can help with this problem

I've wondered about those green spots before, good to know I'm not the only one. I was blaming it on hard water.

I was too at first but ya get em even with distilled water. Weaver told me that in their shop they use the Pro Carv at a ratio of 1:1 because of that. The instructions on Pro carv says to mix 10 parts water to 1 part Procarv. But they found that 1 to 1 alot of bad stuff went away.

Good to know, expensive, but good to know. ;) I'm out of the stuff at the moment but its on my shopping list.

It is good stuff. I don't use it that way though. I splash some in my container and full up with water. I've found sticking to domestic leather really mitigates any problems. That one side of HO I had trouble with I simply believe got mixed up and wasn't HO. It had other characteristics where it didn't work like HO either. They assured me it was HO but I'm not convinced it was. Wasn't my first rodeo. They did replace it so customer service was good btw.

Back