Recommendation? EDC Pen?

So a "pocket dump" post inspired me to go out and buy a super nice edc pen...now I turn to your guys for recommendations ..

Answers much appreciated.

Machine Era solid brass
4VdUKQi.jpg

Not "super nice", but I like it

I've lost too many EDC pens to spend a lot on them. Here's my story.

I like fancy pens, but have been disappointed in some build quality and maintenance required (specifically for fountain pens and calligraphy pens). I used to write a LOT. The most expensive pen I purchased was around $300 (Waterman fountain pen), and a gold piece fell off of it a few years after purchase (I never tried to send it in for repair). I fell out of love with fancy fountain pens and calligraphy pens because the fact that you have to clean the nib everyday or so, maintenance I didn't want to invest my time in (and if the cap fell off in pocket you are screwed). For writing 10+ pages of notes or papers, I ended up purchasing Pilot Dr. Grip gel ink pens and pencils, and haven't looked back since.... that was about 15 years ago and I still use them today and refills are readily available and reliable.

Moving on to smaller EDC pens, I lost a Fisher Space Pen, then replaced it with a mini Cross collapsible gel pen that had a key ring that I really liked. Unfortunately, the mini Cross gel refill cartridges are hard to find and the generic refills didn't work half the time. Also, EDC'ing a pen meant that it accumulated a lot of wear and tear from rubbing up against keys and other things in my pocket. I later purchased a Fisher Space Pen that came with a keyring on the cap for keychain carry.
1018.jpg

It was just too big for what I wanted on my keychain, so I moved it to a Victorinox Belt Hanger with chain with some other mini-EDC items.
c84551b8-c7e9-410e-a32f-2b12e14100a1_1.7ea69c9880c1d7b3f6cb1e40658b0dc8.jpeg

I used that for a few years until I went to an EDC pouch (small camera belt pouch I put my EDC things in). Currently, I'm trying an inexpensive DIY mini pen which slides into my pouch and only cost me a couple pennies. It's basically an inexpensive Bic pen you can purchase in bulk or usually find for free lying around. I cut it to size for my pouch, but have seen people cut it down further for putting on their keychain. You can also drill a hole in the end to put a keychain ring on. Here's mine:
20170517_075840.jpg

I cut the end of the white area nearest the writing tip. Then 30 seconds on some sandpaper to clean it up. I also had to cut the ink insert with a scissors (a little ink will leak during the cut). So far no issues, and it hasn't leaked ink from the cut ink refill for the month that I've been carrying it. Just another option that might be fun if you like inexpensive DIY projects on the cheap.

In the past, I used to peruse Mont Blanc, Waterman, and Parker pens. One trick for Cross pens, is that Marshalls and/or TJ Maxx will often get them in at certain times of the year and they are significantly marked down.

Last edited:
I enlisted in the army not long out of high school, and the old man gave me a Cross pen and told me to write home very week toilet mom know I'm okay. Or else. So I carried that pen for the next 50 years, it traveled all over the world with me, and is still in service on my desk. The chrome is worn off in spots, picked up a few dents on it, but still working. I like the Cross bold refills.

A few years ago, the twist mechanism finally wore out, and Cross put a new mechanism in for free, all I had to pay was shipping. I'll probably use this pen until I die.

I have several higher end pens including a Hinderer. End of the day I always end up using a Zebra F-701 over all of them. Inexpensive, nice writing, with a nice grip.

I have carried a Fisher Space Bullet pen, in red, for a few years now. Amazing EDC pen. Mine doesn't have a clip, but you can get it with one. Small, but opens into a full size, and is more than comfortable enough for occasional notes. The cartridges are easy to replace, and it has great build quality. I'm not a pen guy, but I really enjoy having something of good, reliable quality on hand. Hope this helps!

For not a lot of money I like the Fisher AG7 Space Pen and the Zebra F701 body with the F402/space pen conversion. I just like the way those cartridges write for general use and utility every day. The bodies are also well built enough that either can ride with me without worrying about busting it, because I am a back pocket carrier.

What about a Fisher Space pen?

They make several models that are 20 dollars or less in price

many have keys rings so they can be attached to a key chain or key lanyard.

And their refills are inexpensive as well

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still trying to debate whether or not I need to EDC a pen. But your replies are slowly swaying me as I check out all the models you suggest lol

I was in a similar situation last year. I have a couple watches that I like to wear, and a few pocketknives. I decided to upgrade my pen from plastic giveaways. But I just couldn't open my wallet for a $50 pen. I've had a Fisher for years, but felt that it only wrote OK compared to some of the gel pens I tried. Anyway, I settled on a Zebra F-701, with a Zebra medium refill. (It came with a fine, which a friend prefers. So win/win.) The Zebra is almost all metal, writes well, and looks, IMO, like a much more expensive pen than the $7 it cost.

I've carried a Parker ballpoint for years, although I do have a Cross that I use occasionally.

I have all of the aforementioned and much more, even the very rare Fisher The Force titanium pen, which is awesome btw, and, yeah, you probably won't need an EDC pen in today's world so a steel Zebra works well even one of those tiny telescopic ones which work well.

Those are really nice too, well put together, I never seen that one, must be new, I do have that one but it's an all CF barrel. They Retro 51 titanium is also very worth the money.

I like the Parkers too for $10, can't use it as a kubaton but you can be Jason Bourne if you like

I'll echo the Fisher Space Pen but I prefer the telescoping version. No cap to lose, nice grip area and a little bigger around than the bullet pen.
I keep it in with my change and it gets marked up but stays fully functional.

I've carried a Parker Stainless Classic everyday for about 40 years now. Slimmer than the Jotter, large capacity refills that last a good long while, dressy looking but tough enough to use for a drift punch once in a while. (Yes, I do abuse my things. Sue me.)

I use one of those "card case" type wallets, and keep a Fisher Bullet inside it. It's a great setup because it tucks into the "hinge" section of the wallet and doesn't add any bulk, and it means I can always have a pen without having to deal with an extra thing floating around inside my pocket.

When I'm carrying a bag or can otherwise carry a full-size pen, my favorite is the Lamy Safari.

IMG_2132.jpg I like the Parker T-Ball Jotter with sliding cap. This one is 14kt. Gold, but they are available in Stainless Steel, Stainless with plastic barrel, Titanium, Gold fill and Gold plate, 18kt. Gold, and Sterling Silver. I get extra fine Parker refills on line. The Fisher presurized refills also fit if you use the adapter.

Well..gentlemen I'm sorry to disappoint most if not all of you but I started out small and went with the Zebra 701. The pen clicks like a dream and I could be happy with the stainless steel, plus the etching for the Grip is quite good for only 7 bucks on amazon lol. Not to mention it looks like I paid at least 20 for it? I believe I saw some pen with carbon fiber and I fell in love. I hope to strike a deal on something like that in the future.

But! I must thanks everyone for all their replies..you all have definitely peaked my interest on so many different types of pens.

I use one of those "card case" type wallets, and keep a Fisher Bullet inside it.

Max, mind if I ask which card wallet you use? I also have a Fisher bullet pen but it's tough to find in my pocket when everything else in there is metal keys. It used to fit in the top section of an all-ett but they apparently aren't all made with the same dimensions and my new all-ett won't hold the pen.

Schrade "tactical" (gawd, that term irks!) pens are a good deal at their price. If you like fountains, you can still find them online. Mine writes as well as any fountain pen I've owned (and I own a few) and is heavy and robust enough to carry in my job as a horse trainer. Their ballpoint/rollerballs look good, too.

Zieg

Back