EDC rotation and then some

Just got a new knife yesterday, and thought I would try my hand at uploading a picture. Let's see if it works!

EDC.jpg

A meager collection, to be sure, but to make it interesting I'll tell a little bit about each piece's reason for existence in my life.

From top to bottom:
- Spyderco Meerkat (2", 440C steel): Got this in the wake of 9/11, since my job requires me to occasionally work on a military base. Turns out the base limit is 4"! So this one doesn't get carried often, usually when I have to attend a school function since the blade length is legal for carry on South Carolina elementary and secondary schools.

- CRK Small Classic Sebenza (2.8", BG-42 steel): I was offered a job in South Carolina a week or so after the bleeding-edge technology firm I worked for in Florida executed it's first round of layoffs. I negotiated a little extra something in the signing bonus to take care of "emotional pain and suffering associated with the layoff" ;) This one is truly an EDC - I usually carry two knives, and this one is always one of them. Guess it feels nice to have a tank in my pocket!

- Benchmade 940 KOTM (blue) (3.5", 154CM steel): Got this one just because! This is the one I received yesterday - I would have bought a regular production 940, just waiting, and lo and behold I found this one on the forums (thanks mschwoeb!). What a sweet knife, beautiful and sharp as the dickens (at least it is now :))! This one will probably rotate with the next one.

- Spyderco Large Calypso (4", VG-10 steel): Got this at the urging of a fellow forum member (you know who you are! And stop blaming me for your purchases!!! :p ) Great knife! This one is usually reserved for food-prep chores out of the house, such as quartering apples and slicing long sandwiches.

Been here for about a year now, lurking or otherwise, and I've come to enjoy this pastime of using and talking about knives. My fellow forum members, you've been good to the FNG, and for that I thank you!

Matthew

"Better to own 4 good knives, than 40 POS" Old Chinese proverb :D Nice knives. Not a bad one in the bunch.

Originally posted by Starfish
...- Spyderco Large Calypso (4", VG-10 steel): Got this at the urging of a fellow forum member (you know who you are! And stop blaming me for your purchases!!! ;p ...

I have NO idea of what you are talking about sir...;)

Nice start on that collection! I do seem to see any swords amongst the bunch...lets not forget a nice long sword! :D

I like the blue in your pic there, very pretty and now sharp thanks to your prowess on the Sharpmaker! Gotta get them Diamond stones and that Strop!

Thanks for sharing and my wife says you are a bad influence on me...:)

G2

Originally posted by Starfish
From top to bottom:
- Spyderco Meerkat
- CRK Small Classic Sebenza
- Benchmade 940 KOTM (blue)
- Spyderco Large Calypso
5 knives, 4 descriptions....

So, is the fact that you still have tape on that BM43 stopping you from talking about it? ;)

Nice EDC's.

How is the fit and finish on that Meerkat? I really like the looks of that knife and am thinking it would make a pretty good utility knife.

Originally posted by tonyccw
5 knives, 4 descriptions....

So, is the fact that you still have tape on that BM43 stopping you from talking about it? ;)

Nice EDC's.

Aw shoot. I had originally posted that pic and wrote a nice description of all 5, and I guess I used too many smilies since the software complained that I had too many images....so I forgot to say something on the BM 43A the 2nd time around :)

At the bottom: BM 43A (4.25"?, 440C steel) - Got this since the BM 31 was not in full production yet, and I really needed to satisfy the urge to flip...hmmm, now that I think about it, I can blame this one on that "other forum guy" as well :p ;) :p. This one's been a lot of fun and, as tonyccw pointed out, the source of a few bloody knuckles, hence the taped blade :eek:

Too many smilies....hmmmph!

Matthew

Originally posted by KWM
How is the fit and finish on that Meerkat? I really like the looks of that knife and am thinking it would make a pretty good utility knife.

KWM - the only immediate "problem" I saw on my Meerkat was a little blob of metal in the opening hole. It doesn't affect opening, and you can't see it unless you look for it, so it's not really a problem. A few others in the Spyderco Forum have stated that they have had problems with the scales; that's about the only major complaint I've heard.

One other thing I notice is that the steel backspacer doesn't sit flush with the (hope I'm using the right term here) tang when the blade is open. It is making contact with 50% of the tang though.

Hmm, don't want to discourage you from getting this - it is a pretty neat little knife, handy for carry almost everywhere, and that Phantom lock really appeals to the engineer in me :) Plus, I got it new from eBay for about $30, so the 2 "problems" I've mentioned here really don't bother me. Especially since I know I could send it back to Spyderco to have it made "right", if I so desired...

Hope that helped, and didn't muddle the issues further!

Matthew

Sweet.
Thanks for reminding me to kick myself one more time for selling my blue 940s (carried one everyday for a couple of months, and liked it so much I bought a spare-first time I ever did that). Sold them both after getting a small Seb, but I sure do wish I'd kept the used one, now:( Great looking knife, even the "sheeple" loved it.

Originally posted by OwenM
Sweet.
Thanks for reminding me to kick myself one more time for selling my blue 940s (carried one everyday for a couple of months, and liked it so much I bought a spare-first time I ever did that). Sold them both after getting a small Seb, but I sure do wish I'd kept the used one, now:( Great looking knife, even the "sheeple" loved it.

Just glad I could return the favor there OwenM...I can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself whenever I'm reassembling my Sebenza and think about how DIFFICULT :rolleyes: it was the first time! :D

Matthew

Back