Edge too hard?

I have a friends Casexx and I used to be able to get a fantastic edge on it. He brought it back and it is very dull. I have honed the **** out of it and dont seem to be touching the back half of the blade now.

I looked with a magnifier and one side of the blade has a very fine choppy and shiny edge to it. I know he had been doing his own touch ups but it doesn't look like it was ground on a wheel. The steel seems like it isn't sharpening at all now. It is almost like it is too hard.

I tried to put it on a very coarse stone and have not had any luck. Any suggestions?

I have a friends Casexx and I used to be able to get a fantastic edge on it. He brought it back and it is very dull. I have honed the **** out of it and dont seem to be touching the back half of the blade now.

I looked with a magnifier and one side of the blade has a very fine choppy and shiny edge to it. I know he had been doing his own touch ups but it doesn't look like it was ground on a wheel. The steel seems like it isn't sharpening at all now. It is almost like it is too hard.

I tried to put it on a very coarse stone and have not had any luck. Any suggestions?
You're most likely not even hitting the edge. Mark the edge with a permanent marker then sharpen to see where you are removing the ink, if there is still ink at the very edge, then you're not hitting the edge and you need to either raise the angle or reprofile it.

I have used a grinder to recover a chisel blade before sharpening it. I just dip it if I feel any heat build up under my touch. Could I use the same process on this knife? Or is it a big risk for ruining the tempering?

I have found it easier to over heat a knife blade than it is a chisel. So if you go that route, go carefully and like you mentioned dip it in water often!

Back