Edgepro: What the heck?!

i was just looking into the edge pro today but i have to say i can get a scary sharp edge with my lansky with fine stone and then the 1000 grit XF stone witch by the way gives the edge a mirror polish..id say i like the lansky better then my sharpmaker.... still interested in the edgepro and a wicked sharperner!!!

To get the knife edges past shaving sharp, do most of your work with the coarsest stone necessary (this will depend on the condition of the edge and how much you need to grind down the bevels). As you get the bevel ground down enough so you are grinding all the way down to the edge, use really light passes. This should be about 90% of your work. Then use progressively finer grits to just smooth away the grinding marks of the previous stone. Make really light passes, using just the weight of the stone. This should not be much work at all. When you get all the way up to your finest stone, you should have a shaving-sharp edge.

..... When you get all the way up to your finest stone, you should have a shaving-sharp edge.

I feel, that before you move onto the next stone, you should already beable to shave on your current stone.

IE: If you are working on the Sharpmaker on the Diamond rods, keep on working it with the diamond rods until you can shave. Then, move onto the brown stones to "refine" the edge.

As far as chosing between the two systems, it would all depend on what you can afford. Eventually, you probably will end up with both.

I personally went with the SM first, liked it so much that I bought 2 systems, (One for my parents house, one for my apartment). I also bought the Diamond rods(I dont think they are worth the money) and the ultra fine rods (totally worth the money).

Back