• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Eleven 3V Field Knives, micarta, G10, colors, denim, vintage SOLD

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is a two part sale

These are sold, thank you

The Field Knife was designed as a collaboration with Lorien Arnold. It is a well made, no frills, high performance utility knife. The steel is Crucible CPM 3V at HRC 61-62 with a tweaked heat treat with very good edge retention and edge stability. You'll be surprised how sharp this gets and how well it holds an edge. If you have never used 3V this hard and thin, it is gonna blow your mind.

This steel with this heat treat will support a fine edge, so this was taken down to .015" before sharpening and it was sharpened 18 degrees per side. This is relatively acute and it cuts well, but is very durable.

Some might consider this a tactical knife but the point is not reinforced and it is not shaped or balanced as a weapon. It's pretty thin behind the edge. It is a hard working cutting tool, a big skinning knife and woods knife. There is a pry/scrape in the tang.

The handle is ergonomically designed for a standard forward, reverse, saber and pinch grips for an average to relatively large hand. The tang is internally skeletonized. The scales are 3D sculpted CNC machined. The blade is made of 3/16” 3V with a heat treat that has been optimized to maximize edge stability in rough use. Despite being relatively thin it is durable. You can baton with it. You might damage the fine edge if you set your mind to it, but the knife itself is practically unbreakable.

A side effect of this heat treat is a higher percentage of free chromium, so although it is not stainless, it is nearly so.

Specs:
3V, tested 62 HRC, .188” thick at ricasso
Total length 9.75”
Blade length 4.625”
Weight 8.0 oz
Grippy 3D machined scales in micarta or G10
Black oxide treated 18-8 stainless steel fasteners

Jared Corry sheaths are custom made for these knives and are well designed and well made. They can be worn vertical or horizontal and can be configured for left hand or right hand carry.

There are six of these in this sale, they're all ready, choose a color and I'll built it.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

Rather than just take my word for it I made a video:

[video=youtube;1w1_WX_fNN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w1_WX_fNN8[/video]

These are all “field grade”, “as machined” and stonewashed.

$225 in micarta, black or brown
$235 in solid color G10, black, OD green, blue
$245 in multi color G10, OD green, toxic green, brown, orange / black

The various colors and material choices are available in limited quantities, some are just one or two, so it is first come - first serve.

Includes a good kydex sheath.

Shipping in the USA is $5.

These knives are unusual because they are machined. I do this in my shop on industrial CNC machine tools. A WIP thread documenting my technique can be found here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1048443

I take paypal, cash, check or MO.

Thanks for looking,
Nathan

Last edited:
Also up for grabs today is a special batch of Field Knives with unusual handle materials.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

12.jpg~original

Includes a good kydex sheath.

Shipping in the USA is $5.

#1 Terotuf isn't especially pretty or stable, but it's wonderful for scales on hard working knives because the way it performs when your hands are wet and sweaty. I laminated it to a thick micarta liner to reduce issues with it moving over time. $250 SOLD

#2 Denim Micarta, matte surface, laminated to a thin G10 liner. Dark blue, almost black. Will darken with use. $250 SOLD

#3 Edge grain antique micarta came from old stock round bar, black G10 liner. Lineage unknown, probably older than dirt, I think this is as dark as it's going to get. $275 SOLD

#4 Old paper base "butterscotch" micarta, black G10 liner. The color will eventually turn brown over time. One of a kind. $275 SOLD

#5 Westinghouse from an old drop. Oxygen seeped in through some of the fibers around the edges, some went pretty deep, creating the unusual mottled appearance. The color will eventually turn brown over time. One of a kind. $275 SOLD

Last edited:
I'll take the butterscotch knife if not yet grabbed. If the butterscotch #4 is gone, I'll take the dark brown knife #3 above it, if not yet gone.

Thanks Nathan. Can I get one in black micarta?

Yes, not a problem.

Also, there are quite a few folks wanting the TeroTuf. I only made one, but I have material to do four, so that's not a problem. :thumbup:

I'll take the butterscotch knife if not yet grabbed. If the butterscotch #4 is gone, I'll take the dark brown knife #3 above it, if not yet gone.

Actually, Nathan, if both of these are still available, I will take both.

This got confusing, but there are three knives available. The denim micarta is still available and there are two more build-your-own available.

I'll take a build your own please. Will PM with handle config if that works.

Thanks!
Kris

This got confusing, but there are three knives available. The denim micarta is still available and there are two more build-your-own available.

Hopefully my post between your opening posts didn't add to the confusion. It's the one at the very top. The very first response. ;)

Great grab betzner - knew I shouldn't have hesitated! Best Jim

Back