Email from Sarge. Must read.

As you can see Sarge didn't want this made public but I argued him out of that notion so here it is:
=====================================

Subj: Please don't mention this
Date: 2/10/03 3:11:16 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: Gregory.Sikes@hood.army.mil (Sikes, Gregory MSgt--712 ASOS)
To: himimp@aol.com ('himimp@aol.com')

Uncle Bill,
Due to the reputation they earned on our Afghanistan trip, the khuks are
much in demand. I've issued 'em all out, some to the Army, and some to Air
Force guys in my squadron. Problem is I've run out and had to turn guys
away. I'm down to three personal khuks I can't part with, my Dhankuta
Kothimoda, my Pen Knife, and the 15" Siru I intend to carry. Uncle, if
you've still got any 15" AKs left at the $75 price, please let me know and
I'll send you a check for five more of them. Please don't mention this or
make a big deal out of it. I don't want you or the forumites to feel like
you ought to give more than you've already so generously given. Besides,
it's a small amount and I'll make it up in hostile fire pay and tax free
status over there. Thanks for your help on this, and please let me know so I
can get the check in the mail to you.

Your knuckleheaded nephew,
Sarge

=======================================

I figure if an old Sgt. who was ready to retire but now is on his way to Iraq can cough up some of his combat pay to buy some khukuris for his men I sure as hell can dip into my video poker fund to do the same thing -- and I'm betting there are plenty here who will do the same thing.

I'm sending Sarge a dozen assorted khukuris today. If anybody wants to take up some slack we'll appreciate it. You can send a check, buy something off the shopping site (stick in a note tellimg me it's for the boys headed to Iraq) or use paypal with same note. And if you have an old khukuri laying around that you feel might be put to better use send it to Sarge.

Let's do it.

Make sure you throw in a nice Gelbu Special so he can get rid of that wimpy little siru :D
- sending something to cover shipping.

I can't chip in any money right now but I could probably part with another khuk or two. What address do we send to?

I have a khukuri or 3 and maybe a little $$ to send along! It is the least I can do! I'll get in touch with you!

Are 18 inchers to big for carry in the military?

I can't help with money or Khukuris right now, but I'm sending up some prayers.:) Good luck guys!

Sarge, Our prayers are with you and all the rest. Having a son in the military at this time (plus other family) it's easy to go through khuks. My wife likes to give them away too! (Imagine that). Glad to see the khuks getting a good rep with the troops! God Bless you all and the others here at the cantina who can help.

Make sure you throw in a nice Gelbu Special so he can get rid of that wimpy little siru

Don't worry about the "wimpy little siru", issued it out this morning.:( ;) Had a team of guys down at the port supervising the loading of our equipment onto ships and forgot that one had asked me to hold a khukuri back for him. He showed up in my office this morning with his face full of bright anticipation. Okay, you can call me a softie if you want, but what would you have done?

The kid stood there looking at the ying yang medallion made from bone and horn over in India that was dangling from the frog lacing. Then he drew that wicked little blade from it's scabbard and tested the edge. His eyes got real big and he stood there looking sort of dumbfounded. He knew something was up, but I defused the dilemma by saying, "yup, I went ahead and sharpened it for you, so don't go being a chucklehead with it or we'll call you stumpy".;)

Sarge

Leadership by example

Speaking of that, I had a little trepidation about letting Uncle post my e-mail. But, I respect Uncle Bill and trust his judgement, and as usual he was right. Now that I've read what I wrote, I realize it sounds kind of corny, but I meant it from the heart. Y'all didn't see the looks on those young faces when I said those words we all dread hearing from Uncle Bill, "all gone". Life's too short to live with regret, and I'd much rather regret something I did than something I should have done and didn't. Thanks Uncle Bill, for steering a knucklehead straight.

Sarge

A dozen more, assorted variety, are in the air, Sarge. As mentioned in another post I only wish I could send 150,000.

Was it really just last Friday night when I sat in Sarge's pickup fondling that lovely Bura sirupati with the yin/yang pendant on the scabbard, both of us oohing and aahing over what a really perfect khukuri it was? And he GAVE IT AWAY??!! Absolute dedication to his troops, way above and beyond, don't know what the Air Force equivalents of Semper Fi/Oorah! are, but I'll say this:
Sarge, from now on your money really is counterfeit at the Dog and Duck, and Uncle, check your mail.
Berk

Uncle,
What address can we send a cash donation to you at? I'm sure that it's already been mentioned but I am short on time and a little lazy to do a search. I can't send much but might be able to send on the installment plan to cover some of your cost for a worthy cause.

Himalayan Imports
3495 Lakeside Dr. PMB 69
Reno, NV 89509
USA
775-825-2279

Uncle Bill, sent check out today for Sarge's Khuk Fund.

Let me check my finances and I'll get with on a n e-mail as soon as I can. I think I know how it would feel to have sarge tell one of the guys that they are all gone when expecting to get one.

Are all of the AK's gone yet?:)

15" BAS and Sirupati go out today. Better snag that Siru for yourself Sarge, to replace the one you gave away. It's a Sher, and it's sweet.

Hope these will do the job. Thought the smaller ones would be better when you're humpin a ruck.

Put that steel on the target Sarge. Bring yourself back safe

Steve

I got two more for you Sarge. I am sending them to your home address unless you got another one I should use. I will need to know by the end of the day.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
A dozen more, assorted variety, are in the air, Sarge.

I dunno 'bout this. Think of the excitement when ONE khuk is in the mail. They're gonna have to station a corp of medics at the post office to make sure Sarge comes through OK, not to mention the postal workers jockeying around all that steel :p :D

I

Holy Cow!!:eek: You guys are killing me! Overwhelmed doesn't even start. My home address is still good, but we're going to have to shut this down pretty soon so I can finish my personal packing and prepping.

I've got to set aside some time to bring in my sharpening supplies and get the khuks squared away that didn't already have a sharp initial edge put on 'em. I plan to take about three guys at a time and do some teaching as I work. I learned by watching and paying attention to my father, maybe I can do the same for them. Or at least keep them from doing something that's going to dip into our first aid supplies.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for all your support. I give you my word none of the khuks will go to waste. They may never get used for more than clearing brush, building field bivouacs and such, but in my mind that would be a good thing.

Sarge

p.s.: I'll take a medic to the post office with me and tell him to keep the amyl nitrate handy.;)

Back