Emerson lock stick and noisy action.

Hey guys, just got an Emerson mini cqc-8 (Horseman). Had it for a while but its sill in like new condition. I'm having some problems with it. When I open the knife a metallic ring/whistle noise comes from the action. I think its the detent ball on the locking liner. Also my locking liner is very sticky. In fact, most of the time I have to use two fingers to unlock the knife. I am looking for help to solve these issues. As always, thank you for the advice!

Hey guys, just got an Emerson mini cqc-8 (Horseman). Had it for a while but its sill in like new condition. I'm having some problems with it. When I open the knife a metallic ring/whistle noise comes from the action. I think its the detent ball on the locking liner. It's the same noise made by the Emerson Horseman that the ApostleP on Youtube has. Also my locking liner is very sticky. In fact, most of the time I have to use two fingers to unlock the knife. I am looking for help to solve these issues. As always, thank you for the advice!

Hmm sounds normal

Ps, no pun intended

sent from a highly secretive CIA base somewhere in the deep jungles of South America shhh

• Haha
Reactions: BBW
Was the same for me when I have received my horseman
I have solved the lock stick with some graphite on the lock interface after having stroke the spine of the blade in open position
This has allowed a better contact between the lock and the blade and it is now very smooth

I still have the same noise, it seems to be due to the tension of the pivot
It decreases after a break in period

My issue is that after this break in period the detent has also weakens, too much for my taste actually and it seems that only the pivot tension keep the blade locked in closed position

Lock stick will go away as the lock breaks in. It is normal for an Emerson.

As for the noise is it like a pinging noise?

Flush out the pivot and put a drop of lubricant. See if it improves the action.

Lock-stick will go away eventually, but you can rub some graphite on the lock face to help in the meantime.

Both things are normal.

The squeak will either go away as it wears against the blade, or it won't. I've buffed the detent ball before, and it's helped too. Do so at your own risk.

The lock stick is also normal.
And a good thing in my opinion. The more factors holding the blade open, the better. Titanium naturally sticks to other metals. As the lock mates through wear, the stick will become less pronounced.

In the meantime, if you can't live with it, mark the blade tang with pencil graphite or sharpie. It will lube the lock face to some degree, minimizing the stick. But be aware, lube on a lock face CAN cause issues, so test your blade with some pressure or some LIGHT spine whacks to a mousepad or phone book to make sure the lube didn't reveal a flaw in the lock face geometry. In other words, make sure it still stays open with the sharpie/graphite on the tang.

The stick should go away and the noise may require a clean/re-lubrication. I always disassemble all my new ones and lube.
Best of luck.

My horseman had the same issues. With use they resolve themselves. If you lube the knife don't over lube it. They break in better a little on the dry side. I personally dont recommend anything on the lockbar to correct lock stick. Graphite or a sharpie mark on the lockbar can cause lock slip. Make sure the lock faces are clean and dry. They will mate up and smooth out fine. If they are dirty clean them with some rubbing alcohol. These are my opinions and what has worked for me.

Inwould definitely take the knife apart and clean out the pivot and relube it. The lock stick will go away as the lock wars to fit the tang of your knife. Lock stick is practically a feature on Emersons and is a good thing in that it means you didn't get one with lock slip.

Use it.. Try the graphite/sharpie trick. I have seen some people send it in on this only to get the liner lock changed to get the knife back and get the same problem again after a short period of time. It's just sometimes something you have to deal with when owning an Emerson.

I had this problem time and time again. I probably took the knife apart and cleaned daily only to continue to get it until I reassembled and ran it dry.. you know, no lube. It eventually wore in and was all good.

Hey guys, just got an Emerson mini cqc-8 (Horseman). Had it for a while but its sill in like new condition. I'm having some problems with it. When I open the knife a metallic ring/whistle noise comes from the action. I think its the detent ball on the locking liner. Also my locking liner is very sticky. In fact, most of the time I have to use two fingers to unlock the knife. I am looking for help to solve these issues. As always, thank you for the advice!
Honestly, I had the same problem. Ernest emailed me himself. However, he was angry and refused to refund me my money. He cried about how I was just a civilian and these knives are intentionally made with lock stick because soldiers requested it. I sold that junk. Only 154 cm , crappy hardware and ugly clip. Top it off, I'll buy a fixed blade instead of junk with lock stick. Ernest is a antiquated cry baby and needs to go hang out with Mick Strider, and Medford. I'll keep it Sal Glesser. Knife designers need to get off their high horses and remember it is the consumer (community) that buys this crappy excuse for a knife that couldnt stand up to a recon 1 made in china. Ernest Emerson is a jerk and I have the emails to prove it.

Back