Escrima and kukris

Hey guys, complete newbie to Escrima here. I was wondering if kukris were a good blade to use in escrima, or are they too heavy (maybe something like a sirupate would be better?)?

I'm interested in learning escrima since the moves are basic to H2H, stick and blade fighting. Also thought it'd make a good companion to Muay Thai.

Comments?

I think you'll find that there are people using kukris for escrima (as well as other MAs).

Train with a kukri made of aluminum, hardwood, or cutting board plastic, etc. Then add a dulled-down, point-rounded-over kukri of appropriate size.

The folks over at the Himalayan Imports forum have talked about escrima and kukris before. :thumbup:

Thanks. I wasn't talking about using a sharp kukri for training, but thanks for the warning.

I hang out mostly at the HI forum, but a search didn't turn up anything that definitively said if kukris were a good choice or not, figured I'd ask here.

I think kukri are excellent, just any type of well made balanced kukri will do the job, the Gurkha's prefer lighter blades, and for MA I like kukri with 13-14" blades weighing 22-25oz.

I think kukri are excellent, just any type of well made balanced kukri will do the job, the Gurkha's prefer lighter blades, and for MA I like kukri with 13-14" blades weighing 22-25oz.

yeah, I had seen some weighing in at about 2kgs, and thought that would be a bit much.

I don't have a pair yet (oh, the irony). Where did you get yours?

Kuhkris make awesome Escrima blades, IMO. Remember your safety zone or say good bye to your knee-caps.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I believe "sirupate" means "leaf" and the term can be applied to the kuhkri. In other words, it not necessarily a totally different type of blade.

Kuhkuris come in different weights, lengths, and shapes depending on your preference and needs.

I get mine mainly from a UK based company Tora, they quite often do stuff on ebay, and on their web site they have a thing called deals of the day, good luck in your khukuri hunting.

Siru is a grass type found in Eastern Nepal, and sirupate are associated with a slender kukri type, as opposed to the broader more common kukri, you generaly see the Gurkhas issued with.

Siru is a grass type found in Eastern Nepal, and sirupate are associated with a slender kukri type, as opposed to the broader more common kukri, you generaly see the Gurkhas issued with.
Thanks Yoshi, that makes sense.

the down-bend with a kukhri happens at the blade in the middle while with filipino blades, it's caused mostly by the pistol grip. i think the gurkha weapon can be adapted to FMA (the slim, light combat version, that is, not the front-heavy working kukhri).

Hi All,

The point of realsitic blade training is to be able pick up any knife and use it, its really not rocket science, start slow learn the basics and anything with a point an edge works :D

All the best,

Jim

www.florofighting.com

Hi All,

The point of realsitic blade training is to be able pick up any knife and use it, its really not rocket science, start slow learn the basics and anything with a point an edge works :D

All the best,

Jim

www.florofighting.com

Exactly. I saw a link asking about which knife to fight with. Hopefully that will be the one in your hand.

Begs the question: why train specifically with a kukri? Well, you might find yourself using the tool often. Who's to say that you wouldn't be? Maybe you spend a lot of time in the SE Asian jungle. Otherwise, it may be just for fun.

No surpise I think they look pretty cool. :)

All the classical sword and knife arts train with specifice blade types, so they get to know that blade type like the back of their hand the best way IMHO, like the Gukhas with their khukuri, the Japanese with their katana, and the saberists with their sabre, and so on.
And as you say kukri2, training with a good kuk is fun.

All the classical sword and knife arts train with specifice blade types, so they get to know that blade type like the back of their hand the best way IMHO, like the Gukhas with their khukuri, the Japanese with their katana, and the saberists with their sabre, and so on.
. . .

Just to take of from what Yoshi said and adding some of my own. I'm going to take a somewhat "other-side" view.

- Yes, you can indeed train escrima with a kukri (or any other blade design) because the angles of attack are universal---BUT just my .02---it's not going to be that OPTIMAL for all the movements. To me they're just too forward heavy or "chop" oriented.

- Of the two though, I'd be more inclined to train with the longer and slenderer "sirupate" rather than the broader and stubbier "bhojpure" design and more associated with the Gurkhas. The former is a lot closer to the the "pinuti" swords of escrima rather than the latter of soldiers/Gurkhas (enhanced as well to be a field tool rather than just a dedicated weapon).

Try to look at the gear by the Atienza Kali guys. I myself would like to get them.

Back