ESEE forum closed... bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Bastid: talking about logic - here's a chance to get more specific: please explain to me how making esee quit this platform means to nourish the knife community?
@ Blues: what makes this forum valuable is the diversity. different posts by different people make it thrive. there's no bigger contribution to it.

Überich;9447065 said:
@ Bastid: talking about logic - here's a chance to get more specific: please explain to me how making esee quit this platform means to nourish the knife community?
what makes this forum valuable is the diversity. different posts by different people make it thrive. there's no bigger contribution to it.

:foot:
NO ONE MADE THEM QUIT.
They decided to go elsewhere.
Which is annoying, but allowed in a free country.
Whatever.

Überich;9447065 said:
@ Blues: what makes this forum valuable is the diversity. different posts by different people make it thrive. there's no bigger contribution to it.

Uberich, you've been here, what, a month? We've been here, what, 12 or 13 years? You think we might have been down this road before and have a clue?

I can see we're going to have to start having folks acknowledge reading the following when they register on this site:

Romper-Room-Do-Bees.jpg

Uberich (et al), before you guys go to making assumptions about how and why things happen you need to know all the facts.

Unless you were part of the moderating staff for the ESEE Forum, Bladeforums or the new ESEE Forum, you probably are not in possession of them all.

Jeff and Mike had been considering a possible move of venue for some time based upon a variety of reasons which are pertinent to both their forum and business model.

The fact that there was a dispute here in terms of how a couple of threads were moderated just helped bring that issue to a head somewhat quicker.

In a community of this size there are going to be occasional disputes and spats. It happens and we move on.

Jeff and Mike decided it was in the best interest of ESEE to have their own site which could be run their way. I can't see how anybody can have any issues over them making an autonomous decision.

Many of us worked long hours behind the scenes to try to come up with a resolution that would work for everyone.

Spark was open to listening to various points of view (I know because I was discussing them with him), as were Jeff and Mike and the ESEE crew. In the end everyone had to do what they thought best for their overall communities.

Was I sorry to see ESEE leave? Yes. I worked hard to keep them here.
Yet I am registered at their new site and a moderator there as well.

Does that impact my allegiance to this site? Not in the least. Bladeforums is (in my admittedly biased view) the best site of its kind on the internet.

Spark and my fellow mods do a great job. Sometimes we get it wrong. That said we put in countless hours trying to make this place the best that we know how.

Support these forums by making it the best place it can be. Sign up at the new ESEE forum and do the same.

There is no conflict of interest. Life is short. Enjoy them both. Just let's have a little less sniping if you please.

Elliot, you just nailed everything that needed to be said. There is no reason to, and nobody is asking anyone to pick a side. ESEE and BF's aren't. None of us need to fall on our sword over a decision made by a couple of business owners and grown men.

thanks for taking the time to explain that. of course to know that changes a lot for me - i had the wrong impression then it seems.
sad they decided like that - i will not follow numerous posts in numerous threads in numerous subforums in numerous forums. time is precious.
if you were talking about my posts - i wasn't aware of sniping anyone - and it was surely not my intention. sorry to anyone who took a hit :D

Last edited:
No, Jeff really meant he was in a fight. He was teaching a land nav class, and they were beset upon by a pack of honey badgers, it was all Jeff could do to fight them off and post at the same time. That is one tough 'Bama Man.:D

I was texting him at the same time, to find out what was going on, texting, forums posting, and fight a pack of honey badgers, with a bunch of land nav students. And all he had was a factory warranteed Izula. Don' mess with Jeff Randall, all I'm sayin'.

Moose

Here is the footage:

[youtube]4r7wHMg5Yjg[/youtube]

Wow, everyone gets cranky when changes occur. Cool, now I have a place to go just for ESEE stuff.

Isn't this what happened with the Strider forum, in a nutshell? Wanting complete control over their sub-forum, and then leaving when they couldn't get it?

Elliot, you just nailed everything that needed to be said. There is no reason to, and nobody is asking anyone to pick a side. ESEE and BF's aren't. None of us need to fall on our sword over a decision made by a couple of business owners and grown men.

Überich;9447135 said:
thanks for taking the time to explain that. of course to know that changes a lot for me - i had the wrong impression then it seems.
sad they decided like that - (snip)

My pleasure, gentlemen. That is what we get the big bucks for. ;)

:rolleyes:

:D

You were using the word "clique" in a positive way and not pejoratively..... right?

Why would it matter at this juncture and do we really need to open up a brand new box of Wheaties so we can start pissing in 'em?

(Of course if it was a rhetorical question, and I never put anything past a teacher, well...never mind. ;))

Never really thought of it like that. I've never been to another forum so you may be right.

Yeah man there are lots of other good ones out there, but again this is my fave for knives and stuff. The other Knife forum has a bigger SAK sub forum, Fallkniven, and other brands I like that don't have as big, if any presence here right now. Hopefully that may change in the future.
I've seen several members here over on a few of those other forums too.

Again don't take this wrong, I'm not promoting that you leave here to go to another. There's no limit on how many you can be a member of, so go check others out and join them too if you see fit. I'm not gonna name actual forum names here since I don't know if it's considered bad etiquette here.

Cheers bud.

Überich;9447214 said:
i hope you do - you deserve it!!i! :p

Tell Spark. Gus and I have been waiting a dozen years for that check he promised. I know the mail is slow but...

Überich;9447135 said:
sad they decided like that - i will not follow numerous posts in numerous threads in numerous subforums in numerous forums. time is precious.
if you were talking about my posts - i wasn't aware of sniping anyone - and it was surely not my intention. sorry to anyone who took a hit :D

try having a full time 60 hour a week job, a business of your own with 10 employees and 2 locations, aged parents that need help and spending hours a day here dealing with trolls and smart alecs for 12+ years and you will know exactly how precious time is.:rolleyes:

Überich;9447065 said:

That is exactly what I was talking about. Jumping to emotional conclusions does not show logical thought. :eek:

Figuring this out yet or do you wish to keep trolling.

Explain to me how logic has anything to do with what you have posted. I'm sorry it does not to a reasonable person and I have learned over the years that taking the time to placate unreasonable people is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:
Folks, I'm just as curious as the next guy. I'm a huge fan of ESEE knives also. But either way, the info doesn't change the outcome.

Time to just move on IMHO. This isn't going to effect bladeforums and it's level of awesomeness.

So, big thanks to Blues, Bastid, Spark and everyone else that makes this place such an awesome spot to talk about blades. You guys do a kick ass job, and I appreciate all the hard work. I don't think anyone who has been here very long would think that Spark and the rest of the Moderators do anything other than encourage and facilitate the best they can for awesome knife discussion.

It's not the first forum to be closed, and it won't be the last.

When one door is closed, a new one opens!

-Freq

...said the man with 18,200+ posts in 6 years! LOL.

Seriously though, I just got my temp password from Jeff and plan to join the other forum. It's just one more tab I'll have to keep open in my Firefox browser so it's not that big a deal. I normally keep about 30 tabs open with email, calendars, multiple forums, etc. They all load everytime I launch Firefox. Thank goodness for the Session Saver add-on!

This is what I'm doing ... even though I genuinely have little time.

It's not hard. I support BF ... I support ESEE. Two more clicks won't hurt.

And, BTW, I support Ken C. Here, there ... anywhere. He's a good troop.

try having a full time 60 hour a week job, a business of your own with 10 employees and 2 locations, aged parents that need help and spending hours a day here dealing with trolls and smart alecs for 12+ years and you will know exactly how precious time is.:rolleyes:

Respect.

Nuttin' but respect.:thumbup::)

Was his response that overblown? It seems to me that he made a decision and left quietly. It's everyone else's $0.02 that has turned it into a circus act.

I have always respected a man for being emotional or standing up for what he thinks is right, whether I agree or disagree with it. I don't have to understand why people think or feel the way that they do, but I still choose to respect someone for standing firm on their decisions. That's just my opinion though and I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with it.

The people that frequented the Esee section was a tight knit group, and felt more comfortable confiding in or asking for the opinions of their peers. I think the right decision was made.
I respect someone standing for what they believe in. I do NOT respect a grown ass adult who throws what is tantamount to a 5 year old temper tantrum when he doesn't get his way. I go out of my way to NOT associate with people who can't keep their S together over things that are insignifacant. Life's too short to deal with a man PMSing.

Last edited:
This is what I'm doing ... even though I genuinely have little time.

It's not hard. I support BF ... I support ESEE. Two more clicks won't hurt.

And, BTW, I support Ken C. Here, there ... anywhere. He's a good troop.

My thoughts word for word. :thumbup:

I'd also like to add that anyone jumping on the bandwagon to insult Ken here or over there without knowing the details should be ashamed of themselves. I respect the heck out of Jeff and Mike, but you can't listen to half the story and assume the rest. Don't be lemmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back