Esquire magazine endorses carrying a pocketknife

Esquire magazine has endorsed carrying a pocketknife in a new feature on their web site. The post reads:

Esquire endorses carrying a pocketknife.

You've probably got one — and it's probably been languishing in a drawer for years. Tonight, pull it out. Give it some work. A little steel wool to brighten up the brass. A few minutes on the sharpening stone to bring back the edge. Instead of a paperweight, now you have a tool again. Pocket it. Go to work with it. Use the hell out of it. You'll find plenty of reasons to. You'll come to enjoy the feel of its heft in your hand. And you'll also, if you're like me, come to enjoy the small act of defiance it represents. American paranoia has reached new depths lately: In the name of security, we have come to fear tennis shoes and water bottles. Carrying a knife is damn near treasonous in this atmosphere. It used to just mean you were a grownup.

Don't have a blade of your own? There's a solid guide over at The Art of Manliness, plus all the latest tool reviews from our buddies over at Popular Mechanics.

Read the whole thing here.

Last edited:
About time the mainstream media pulled their heads out of their *ss*s! Thanks for posting.

Thanks for posting that. A small glimmer of light in the vast darkness.

wow,,,something must be happening ,,between this great article and the nys gov appointing a blue pro-gun democrat to the senate seat in nys ,,i must be dreaming !!!

Phew! I was waiting with bated breath to find which side of this issue Esquire would come down.

Thankfully, my preference has been validated by a major magazine.

Now if only they would substitute the word "handgun" for "knife" in that article...

So pocket knives are "Chic" now ? Hey everybody we're Chic !!! Not really sure if that is good or not:confused:

No, WE'RE not Chic.
We LIKE Chicks. :)

Maybe it's a good thing he directed them to Popular Mechanics instead of BF. We'd scare off all the budding knife knuts.

Esav, I was thinking something pretty close to that. If these folks are frightened by their grandfather's two-inch-bladed slippies, they'd never be able to deal with some of the things I routinely carry.

I like to think there are a few of us out there who are traditionalist enough to carry, even if they're not part of a movement to sell the custom to others.

We've heard it here: No, you can't borrow my knife. Go get one of your own. :p

Thanks for this, even though it's of American origin, I can apply it here, in metropolitan Sydney, as my justification for carrying a pocket Knife.

Back