Everything you never wanted to know about the Becker Patrol Packs

OK guys I'll try to keep this short.

Here is everything you never wanted to know about the Becker Patrol Packs.

I have acquired four different models of this pack. Because these are all quite rare, I thought I would take some comparison photos and clear up some misinformation I've heard about them.

The first is the blackhawk version of this pack.

BH 1.JPG

Next the eagle version.

BP 1.JPG

The MOLLE version.

MO 1.JPG

And lastly a pack version I had no idea even existed!

The Becker "ranger" or RTO (Radio Telephone Operator) is basically just the Large version of this pack but with special features to accommodate a radio.

RTO 2.JPG

Now let's start with the Blackhawk version.

Everything I've heard or seen about this pack online says it's an exact copy of the eagle version. That's not entirely true.

Side-bar for a minute.

There are all sorts of legality questions surrounding this pack, seeing how it's a copy. Some people won't buy it because they said it's stealing money from Ethan. Well it's my understanding that he has never made any money off this pack design. I believe he traded any short of royalties he might have received from eagle in order to make sure this pack design was made.

It is also my understanding that the parent company who owns eagle also owns blackhawk so it's probably "legal" somehow.

Now back to the blackhawk pack. The difference between this and the eagle version is the six buckle pouches on the outside. On the Blackhawk version they are smaller. You could fit a standard nalgene bottle in only the sides pouches and it's a tight fit. The eagle version can fit an extra long bottle in the side pouches and a standard in the lower front two.

Side pouch on the blackhawk

BH 2.JPG

lower front pouch

BH 3.JPG

Here is the side pocket on the eagle with an extra tall bottle.

BP 3.JPG

and here is the lower front pouch with a standard bottle

BP 5.JPG

The next big difference is that the chest strap is vertically adjustable. On the eagle versions it's not.

BH 5.JPG

The blackhawk version is lighter. It's definitely made out of a nylon with a less denier. I still think it is excellent quality, but eagle really is top notch and would be hard to beat in terms of quality.

There are two different versions of the BPPs from eagle. The original had a draw string closer on the main bag and a pull open velcro map pocket on the lid flap.

The newer ones have a roll down and buckle seal and a zippered lid flap map pocket.

My RTO and Blackhawk have the pull string. My standard eagle BPP and MOLLE versions have the fold over and buckle system. I have no clue when these were made but you can kind of date the pack by these features.

MO 3.JPG

I can't add any more photos so I'll put them in post number two!

The Molle version of this pack is not of Ethan's doing. It's something that eagle did on their own. It's the same bag just without the six outside pouches. I'll post more photos in the next post.

There are so many little differences I'm missing and I need to take better photos of a lot of things. I'll probably add more photos and info later.

If you guys have any questions about them or the differences let me know and I'll try to answer. If you want a photo of anything in particular let me know.

I am going to part ways with my blackhawk version and the RTO version. If you interested in them send me a PM.

Here are some videos to watch on these packs

This one has the man himself Ethan Becker talking about why he designed it, beans and bullets!

Here you can see a guy put his radio into his RTO pack.

Here is one on the MOLLE version.

Here are some reviews of the standard eagle version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv74OACu0ok&t=381s

If you want to see another bag Ethan designed check this out!

https://www.amazon.com/Becker-Knife-Tool-Field-Travel/dp/B01BP56B7Y

Last edited:
Now the RTO is made for a radio so it has special straps in the inside main pocket to hold it in place and has two antenna holes on the top. The six pouches on the outside are even larger than the standard. It does have an internal frame sheet with aluminum bars. This pack is really big I don't even have it stuffed to capacity in these photos.

RTO 1.JPG

RTO 7.JPG

RTO 6.JPG

RTO 3.JPG

RTO 4.JPG

The shoulder straps are extra wide and have a lot more padding.

RTO 5.JPG

All the BPPs have open slots on the sides that are absolutely amazing for holding large knives, tent polls, or hiking polls. The RTO pack has two slots.

RTO 8.JPG

I have no idea at all what the removable panel on the bottom it for. If you know please comment and tell. All I've head about it, is its for "jump capabilities"

RTO 9.JPG RTO 10.JPG

Last edited:
The newer eagle versions also have slots behind every pouch not just the side ones.

IMG_4034.JPG

If you have a sheath with molle you can attach it to the ALICE webbing and tuck it into the side slot behind the slide pouch.

IMG_4035.JPG IMG_4036.JPG

All the shoulder straps connect right to the pack except on the RTO model.

IMG_4037.JPG

The RTO has two adjustable nylon straps

IMG_4038.JPG IMG_4039.JPG IMG_4040.JPG

Here is the velcro map pocket vs the zipper map pocket.

IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

Last edited:
Great write up knifejunkie. I know it was very labor intensive and I for one appreciate your hard work on this. This is going to be Great reference material now and in the future.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Great write up knifejunkie. I know it was very labor intensive and I for one appreciate your hard work on this. This is going to be a Great reference material now and in the future.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Tanker!

Thats really what all this is for, reference. I just wanted the information posted in becker forum for people to find in the future.

Excellent review! You never really notice differences until you have them all side by side. Ok, now that you've reviewed these packs, which one do you think is the best one?

The large is the most comfortable on your back and more adjustable. However the standard eagle version would have to be my favorite just because its the right size for my needs.

Awesome write up! I definitely noticed some different stuff going on and knew about Blackhawks deal. I think @1066vik has some knowledge on these too but I don't know if there's anything ya missed here lol
Great work!

Awesome write up! I definitely noticed some different stuff going on and knew about Blackhawks deal. I think @1066vik has some knowledge on these too but I don't know if there's anything ya missed here lol
Great work!

Thanks Slice!

I think it might be dex murph and vik who are the avid users of these packs.

as far as the removable panel, in airborne units you attach your pack to your harness so it hangs under your reserve chute right in front of your knees. I could be wrong but it looks like that is where you connect your ruck to your harness.

good information!

got me two Becker packs in OD, one is the small, one is the large, love them bunches, both correct with waist belts too :D

no frames though... bummer!

Nice collection! I saw that modded one (rto) on the bay a while back.

So Eagle actually made 4 different BPP models, with a few variations, changes, and upgrades over the years.

In no particular order:

First is the standard BPP. The one uncle E designed. The original ones all had draw string closures, no slots behind all the pouches, only the two side, and the waist belt was slightly higher, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches, than later models, and had a Velcro fold over flap to hold belt in place. Also, did not have hole in lid for camel back. Later versions moved the waist belt down and then had a single padded closed flap to run the belt through. Slots were also added behind all pockets, therefore the side pouches have two slots each. The original pocket in lid flap was Velcro then later became a zipper right inside of pouch. Also, the later packs all had a main roll down flap with a buckle closure instead of the large drawstring.

Specs: ( I think my calculations are correct?)

Standard version

Main compartment: 10" x 18.5" x 6" = 1,110 cu in

Cap pouches: 2.75" x 8" x 2" = 44 cu in

Front pouches: 4.75" x 8" x 3" = 114 cu in

Side pouches: 5.5" x 9" x 2.75" = 136 cu in

total= 1,540 cu in 25.23 liter

Next up in size but not timeline is the MOLLE version. It actually came last I believe. It is just the standard updated BPP with roll down main compartment, etc.. just minus all the exterior pouches, which were replaced with webbing. Main compartment and specs are the same.

Next in size is the RTO.

Side note, the RTO you have is not the original one. Yours looks to be heavily modded, hence all the added stuff. I think the one you have may be able to accept an ALICE frame too, not positive. It actually is not the RTO Patrol pack but based off the Large version. Not really sure what's going on there but it's the only one I've seen, so it's a cool score for sure!

The RTO was in fact made for radio operators and does have extra internal pocket for radio and has two antenna, etc. flaps on top. It's called the Ranger version. This version is actually all the same specs as the original except it is wider and the two front main body pouches are larger. The height and depth are the same as the standard, but the width is the same as the large version.

Specs:

Ranger version

Main compartment: 13.5" x 18.5" x 6" = 1,498 cu in

Front pouches: 6.25" x 8" x 3" = 150 cu in

Slip pocket: 12" x 9" (30.5 cm x 22.75 cm

total= 2,158 cu in 35.36 liter

Last is the large version. It is significantly larger than the standard version and the ranger version.

Specs:

Large version

Main compartment: 13.5" x 22.5" x 8" = 2,430 cu in

Front pouches: 6.25" x 8" x 3" = 150cu in

total= 3,090 cu in 50.63 liter

Hope that helps explain some of the differences. There are quite a few I have seen that are one offs or have been heavily modded

I do own 6 of these in all different configurations, colors, and years and my favorite is the standard version made in the earlyish 2000's. Has all the upgrades and is just more comfortable to me. The MOLLE version is great too for EDC when you don't need all the pockets or just want to add your own gear. I have been trying to get my hands on the RTO for a while now since the little extra width would be nice. More rare than the others for sure, but do pop up from time to time!

-Dex-

Nice collection! I saw that modded one (rto) on the bay a while back.

So Eagle actually made 4 different BPP models, with a few variations, changes, and upgrades over the years.

In no particular order:

First is the standard BPP. The one uncle E designed. The original ones all had draw string closures, no slots behind all the pouches, only the two side, and the waist belt was slightly higher, maybe 1 1/2 to 2 inches, than later models, and had a Velcro fold over flap to hold belt in place. Also, did not have hole in lid for camel back. Later versions moved the waist belt down and then had a single padded closed flap to run the belt through. Slots were also added behind all pockets, therefore the side pouches have two slots each. The original pocket in lid flap was Velcro then later became a zipper right inside of pouch. Also, the later packs all had a main roll down flap with a buckle closure instead of the large drawstring.

Specs: ( I think my calculations are correct?)

Standard version

Main compartment: 10" x 18.5" x 6" = 1,110 cu in

Front pouches: 4.75" x 8" x 3" = 114 cu in

total= 1,540 cu in 25.23 liter

Next up in size but not timeline is the MOLLE version. It actually came last I believe. It is just the standard updated BPP with roll down main compartment, etc.. just minus all the exterior pouches, which were replaced with webbing. Main compartment and specs are the same.

Next in size is the RTO.

Side note, the RTO you have is not the original one. Yours looks to be heavily modded, hence all the added stuff. I think the one you have may be able to accept an ALICE frame too, not positive. It actually is not the RTO Patrol pack but based off the Large version. Not really sure what's going on there but it's the only one I've seen, so it's a cool score for sure!

The RTO was in fact made for radio operators and does have extra internal pocket for radio and has two antenna, etc. flaps on top. It's called the Ranger version. This version is actually all the same specs as the original except it is wider and the two front main body pouches are larger. The height and depth are the same as the standard, but the width is the same as the large version.

Specs:

Ranger version

Main compartment: 13.5" x 18.5" x 6" = 1,498 cu in

Front pouches: 6.25" x 8" x 3" = 150 cu in

Slip pocket: 12" x 9" (30.5 cm x 22.75 cm

total= 2,158 cu in 35.36 liter

Last is the large version. It is significantly larger than the standard version and the ranger version.

Specs:

Large version

Main compartment: 13.5" x 22.5" x 8" = 2,430 cu in

Front pouches: 6.25" x 8" x 3" = 150cu in

total= 3,090 cu in 50.63 liter

Hope that helps explain some of the differences. There are quite a few I have seen that are one offs or have been heavily modded

I do own 6 of these in all different configurations, colors, and years and my favorite is the standard version made in the earlyish 2000's. Has all the upgrades and is just more comfortable to me. The MOLLE version is great too for EDC when you don't need all the pockets or just want to add your own gear. I have been trying to get my hands on the RTO for a while now since the little extra width would be nice. More rare than the others for sure, but do pop up from time to time!

-Dex-

Thanks for all the info dex! I think owning six makes you the official becker pack guru.

That's odd about my RTO being based off the large pack. I've never seen another, so I just assumed they were all based off the large pack.

I just measured the inside compartment on mine I got 15" x 22" x 8" So I guess that definitely makes it a large version.

Would be nice to find a standard size RTO, that extra width does sound nice.

Back