Experience with Leatherman Customer Service

Didn't want to post this in the GB&U, as I really am curious how the world of Multitools is when it comes to warrenty repair. I know in the knife world, companies such as Benchmade and Spyderco have outstanding repair departments, customer service, etc... Can the same be said for Multitool Companies??

Here is why I ask. I purchased a Leatherman Wave and its been on my belt since I bought it. It sees light daily use such as stripping some wires with it or small gauge wire cutting, etc....

Yesterday, somehow :confused: I nicked up the actually cutting section of the needle nose pliers and there is a small gash in the metal. This is cause the pliers to lock up during most use now :(

I figure I have one of two options. I can write to Leatherman and send it back or I could take a small file to it and take away that Gash and it should be right as rain.

Any experience you may have shared will definatly play a part in weither I repair or send it in. I am pretty sure NO company that has a following here would just out and out keep the thing and rip me off when I send it in, so my primary concern is really the turn around time. As I mentioned, this is a daily carry and I am going to be lost without it. Thats what I get for having hundreds of knives and only one Multitool :eek:

I've sent a wave back to Leatherman when one knife blade became loose. They turned the tool around in less than two weeks and had completely returned it to new, replacing the file blade which had been smoothed. They also added springs to the handles to make them snap shut and lock open more positively. Their was no questions asked either.

I sent in a Wave that I broke the pliers on. Replaced, no questions asked.
Coworker sent in a SideClip that he broke the blade on. Replaced, no questions asked.
Ex-roomate recently sent in an old LM PST (I can't remember what was wrong with it at the moment). Replaced, no questions asked.
They're good...and they don't ask many questions :D

btw, ~2 weeks for all of those.

I sent my Juice XE6 in two weeks ago, and just got a new one back. No questions asked.

The reason for the return was I torqued down on the pliers too hard on an object and the pliers wouldn't close correctly after that. Wrote a short note explaining what happened and where to ship it back to. In 7 working days, UPS dropped off a brand new Juice.

--Chris

Back in '92, I twisted off the tip of the small standard screwdriver on my original leatherman tool,sent it in with a letter, got a new one in about a week.

Yep, Leatherman has great customer service. Depending on where you got it, you might even be able to take it back to the store you bought it at and change it out there. I've run across a couple of stores that let there customers do this. Makes the customer happy and there's no risk to the store since leatherman will just replace the tool for the store.

Leo

not hing but good service on more than 4 occasions- replacement with a completeley NEW Wave 3 times!!! most times there were newer features on them too!! :eek: :D

call and then send it back! ... punk ;)

I sharpened an Ontario Spec Plus fighter with the diamond file and obviously wore out a little in the middle on either side of the blade. I emaild to ask how much to replace the blade. The file is still in good working order but I'm a little anal and like stuff to be near as damn perfect. The answer that I got was that it was covered by the warranty :eek: I worte back and said that I used it so much it isnt faulty, just worn a bit. Same answer, send it in and we will deal with it for you!

My only compaint about LM is that they make too many tools and its breaking the bank and they are not going public! :D

TheBadGuy said:
Yesterday, somehow :confused: I nicked up the actually cutting section of the needle nose pliers and there is a small gash in the metal. This is cause the pliers to lock up during most use now :(

:eek:

Hey...i did the same thing with my pliers...
The pliers don't close smoothly now...
Anyone with any experience with leatherman cs in the uk?

Hi Point44
My Wave had some excessive play when closed. I e-mailed their UK service centre:

WHITBY & CO.
AYNAM MILLS
CANAL HEAD NORTH
KENDAL
CUMBRIA LA9 7BY

TEL: +44 1539-721032
FAX: +44 1539-729573
sales@whitbyandco.co.uk

They said to send it in, which I did. About a week later it was back with me, duly tightened and they'd also fitted new springs in the handles to bring it up to the latest specs. No charge. Can't say fairer than that I'd say. Send it in - I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

Phil

Someone broke into my wife's p/u and she broke her mini tool trying to make the door safe to go home. She sent it back with a letter of what happened and a check for return shipping, and for them to call with a repair cost. They not only fixed it free, they sent her check back.needless to say, when I gave my Gerber 400 to our EMT neighbor who needed an up grade, I bought a Leatherman. I also have nothing bad to say about Gerbers tools, I still have 2 others in cars.

Hi all

I know this is strange,why shut I care about service in Denmark?

I work in a outdoorshop and we have got the "order" to replace all the obvious fauilure on LM tools our custumers have, like broken plyers and so. if there is smaller things we send it in too the danish agent and there repair it really fast. I think that is really great service and thats why a like to sell a leatherman, the company take care of the costumer!!

Nicolai

www.brix-tactical.dk

One of the locking springs on my Supertool 200, which I had bought in a clamshell pack, was so loose it wouldn't work right, so I sent it back to LM with a brief note and they sent me a brand new one, no questions asked.
Jim

Hey phil

Yup...i emailed them and they told me to send it in. They'll even pay for postage back. Turnaround about 10 days.

I just sent it yesterday so if they do what they said they were gonna do then that's great service. Will update when i get my wave back.
It's still useable but there's just something about using a tool that's not 100% perfect...ehhehe

I once broke a small piece of the small screwdriver of my LM Pulse. I send it to the dutch distributor (according to the instructions on the US LM site) but they contacted me after they received it and said they would only repair it if I paid for return shipping (12 euro :eek: ) since I bought it in the US. They also asked me next time to buy one from a dutch store - yeah right - a LM Pulse here is EUR 110/$130 (dutch internet shop), - compared to about $60 in the US. Anyway, I paid for the return shipping and got a new one back pretty fast. Still paid 18 euro / $20 total in shipping though...

Next time if I have a warrenty issue, I'll send it straight back to the US, that will only cost me $5, and I'll happily include a $5 bill for return shipping via USPS Global Priority or ask them so ship it to a US friend.
Still less shipping money then I spend now.

Ted

I finally got back my Leatherman WAVE from the UK service centre. It isn't really my Leatherman since they gave me a NEW ONE!!!!...

Leatherman must have one of the best CS in the multitool business....

A+++++

Ted Voorde said:
I once broke a small piece of the small screwdriver of my LM Pulse. I send it to the dutch distributor (according to the instructions on the US LM site) but they contacted me after they received it and said they would only repair it if I paid for return shipping (12 euro :eek: ) since I bought it in the US. They also asked me next time to buy one from a dutch store - yeah right - a LM Pulse here is EUR 110/$130 (dutch internet shop), - compared to about $60 in the US. Anyway, I paid for the return shipping and got a new one back pretty fast. Still paid 18 euro / $20 total in shipping though...

Next time if I have a warrenty issue, I'll send it straight back to the US, that will only cost me $5, and I'll happily include a $5 bill for return shipping via USPS Global Priority or ask them so ship it to a US friend.
Still less shipping money then I spend now.

Ted

just wondered how they could tell that you bought yours from the US does it differ from European ones . On the box of my supertool it states 25 year warranty valid worldwide so it shouldnt matter where you bought it .

thanks

dunc

Hi Point44
Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Leatherman do seem to be a company that cares about its customers.

Phil

Just an update, I e-mailed Leatherman with my problem, they responded the next day with instructions to return the tool for warrenty repair and I sent it off 2 days ago. I am sure they will get it back to me in good condition soon enough :) I wish companies like Microtech had similar service :barf:

I sent it off June 1st, and got it back yesterday the 14th completely repaired. Not too bad :) I'll be getting a few more Leatherman products in the near future.

Back