Experience with the pouch?

choombak

Gold Member
I am contemplating purchasing the pouch for carrying daily stuff - keys, wallet, light, knife, etc. Going by the cost , lack of real world reviews and non-avl of it on Dave's deal makes me think it is not as famous as other SBL items. Wanted to check if anyone has real world experience with it. How does it tack up for carrying smaller things? Lack of space? Thanks.

Last edited:
I would also like to know. I would like to get one to put inside my messenger, to hold my daily carries.

I too have inquired about the pouch in the past. I received very little feedback. Of all places I found a few reviews on Amazon and they were all fairly similar. The complaints being the pouch is just too small. Also there was comments on the fact that since the pouch is one continuous piece of leather there is no "bottom" to the pouch. As items are pushed to the bottom the leather narrows as there is no "flat" bottom like a backpack would have.

I am still attracted to the pouch, but I do think some changes could be made before I'd personally pull the trigger for one.

I may be late to the game but I just received the Pouch from SBL today in dark coffee brown. It is a beautiful piece of kit. Since it is still new it is hard to get much in there. I am able to get my new SBL large bifold wallet in there as with my SBL credit/business card holder. After that there is room for my keys and that's it. Until it is broken in I don't think I will be able to get much more in there. You can make a large range of adjustments with the shoulder strap. I wanted my Pouch for times I want to travel light and need only a few essentials. I wish that there was gussets on the sides just to give it maybe a 1/2 inch more depth. For now, I'll use it and slowly but surely break it in.

I picked -up a " Pouch " , along with my Small Satchel.. It's very well made , but tooooo small for my personal needs, & I gave it my wife .

Her review : " Too tight a fit to put my cell phone and wallet inside and uncomfortable to use. Attractive but not practical. Also a bit heavy for the amount of content it would contain. I am out on the road and do a lot of multiple work site visits, and just wanted something to include my cell and ID. Unfortunately after a few uses I decided to go with a cloth mini-bag instead..."

IMG_0996_edited-1_zps8918c588.jpg

She has returned the " Pouch ". I'll try to find some use for it.

You could attach the Pouch to the D-rings of your satchel and put small items you want quick access to. Seen that on the SBL Pouch video. Yes, it is small but I'm going to make it work for me because it is what I wanted - a small bag that I can use to carry a minimum of items when doing quick errands or island hopping for my job. At the moment I stuffed a bunch of socks (clean socks <grin>) and I will let it stretch for a while. I may use some conditioner to help out with the stretching process. The SBL Pouch is a nice piece that will eventually be part of my EDC line up.

Do a search on Youtube. Dave has a couple of videos - at least one I remember where he talks about it while on the Washington Coast. I think it'll answer all your questions and see it "in action." I got one...but frankly still go back-and-forth whether I need to carry a portable camera, my keys and a phone in it. It'll have to stretch out to get those things in it, bu no matter I don't think it'll serve any other person. It's like one of those small bags with skinny strings women throw over their shoulder when they're going for a walk in the neighborhood or downtown for an hour or so. Anyway, check the tube...

Last edited:
Update: Stuffing the Pouch and accelerating the break in process is really helping to make more room in the interior. I really stuffed it a lot using an old undershirt (a clean one <grin>) and the socks I mentioned earlier. I will let it sit a week or so just to let the Pouch conform. I decided not to use any conditioner on it for now. My understanding is that Saddleback Leather puts conditioner on it before it goes out. I used a couple Velcro strips to keep the loose strap end from flopping around after I adjusted it to my liking.

Oh damn! I am super late for an update. Anyways, I picked up the pouch about four months ago, and am very pleased with it. If your expectations are set correct, this is the best piece of "manly" gear you can purchase. I wanted one as EDC, to hold keychain, wallet, card holder, sanitizer, a pen, earbud-style headphones, flashlight, and some more space for misc. items. The pouch does hold these things with room to spare, but as is with all leather, requires some break in before it gets comfortable. I wear it cross and rarely take it off -- this ensures I don't forget it. It has also take out the load from my pocket to a large extent - pockets now contain only a flashlight, some change, phone, and folding knife. Here is a quick and dirty shot taken now at my workplace with the stuff I carry in it. The belt was long for me even in the last hole, so I punched two more in it at a distance of about 1 inch apart. I am 5'7".

image%25286%2529.jpeg

Back