Experiences/Opinions of CRKT AUS6M blades?

Howdy,
I've been on these forums quite a bit, and i've heard all kinds of tales about CRKT AUS6M, some say it's fine, others say it sucks... what i'd like to do is allocate everyones stories and opinions here so I can look at all the data right before me and decide what the truth is. I know in my case, CRKT has alot of designs that very much appeal to me, but with AUS6M heat treated to a mere 55-57RC, you really have to wonder just how long it'll hold an edge.

I have the CRKT Mirage wharncliff's in both AUS-6 and AUS-8. The
AUS-6 has not shown any signs of rusting and gets really sharp. After an honest days use it needs a quick touch up on my Crock Sticks and it is good to go again. No complaints from me. The AUS-8 is noticeably a notch up (just my observation from using both steels over the last couple years) it is equally stain resistant, gets a very sharp edge. Where it is a notch up is that with the same daily use it only requires that I touch it up once a week on the Crock Sticks. Given a choice I would take the AUS-8, but I wouldn't pass on a design that I liked just because it was AUS-6. Also, I don't find CRKT's AUS-6 or 8 different from other manufacturers offerings of these steels. They do tend to bead blast their blades which seems to promote rust spots faster than a nice satin finish.

I have a large KFF and a Bear Claw. I agree that the bead blast promotes rust spots. Twice I have pulled these out after a couple of weeks sitting in the sheaths,(clean and dry) and found rust spots on both. Nothing major, but a nuisance nonetheless. They definitely don't hold their edges as well as better steels. But they are a good value for the price range.

I've had quite a few CRKT knives, most of them being the AUS 6 models. After decent use, they will require a daily touch up. However, it's very easy to sharpen. If your primary reason for getting one of the AUS 6 models is as a defensive weapon, it should be fine. If it is going to be used for hard work, get a better steel...unless you don't mind sharpening you knife daily. Make sure you get one that locks up propery. I'vd had a lot of problems with CRKT liner locks. On another note, for about the same amount you can get a VG-10 Spyderco Endura...defiently a much better knife for hard use.

CRKTs are fine for light utility, which is what most of us need them for anyway.

It is kind of painful to see great designs (which is almost all of CRKT's current line) with a steel that is considered merely adequate. I still wouldn't let that deter me from buying one, for the simple fact that they're adequate for most tasks.

I'd first in line if CRKT went with AUS-8 or 440C for all their knives. I'd think that most people would pay the extra ten bucks or so for a better steel. Can't we start a petition :D ?

Zero

Unlike most folks, I don't really believe in the "fighting folder", it's a concept that doesn't really work so well in real-life. So i'd want a CRKT for the crazy stuff I do all day, and you are correct, I want a Spydie Endura more anyway, and it's a MUCH better value... CRKT needs to get their act together and quit pandering to idiots who can't tell the difference between quality and barely-adequate.
For my money? Spyderco.

Yeah, I wish CRKT would consider a major steel upgrade. I absolutely love the KFF design, and would pay the extra $ to get it in a better steel. It amazes me that they are able to get collaborations with such great makers and then put out knives with poor steel. I think you'll be much happier with the Endura anyway. I'm a huge Spyderco fan so, I'm a little biased. If only Spyderco would make a KFF...

Why don't you beleive in the "fighting folder"? I'd rather have a fixed blade too but, I don't really like the added bulk and carry issues. I just compromise and carry a folder or two. I guess there is not a whole lot of difference in deployment speed if you practice enough.

I've owned several CRKT's and have passed them all along. I really like their designs, but I couldn't hang with the AUS6. In my experience, it will go dull if you look at it wrong. It has also rusted for me more than uncoated D2 has. I'll be first in line to buy more CRKT's as soon as they move up to (what I consider to be) a decent steel. It wouldn't hurt if they'd use G-10 instead of Zytel for their scales, but that's less important.

I like CRKT knives (although I'm not really a big fan of liner-locks) and I think AUS-6 is up to any task that you would require of a knife.
In fact, I think blade shape, grind, and edge geometry are much more important than the type of steel used.
For example: I once owned a Spyderco Calypso jr (an experimental with micarta handle and AUS-8 steel) and it out-performed my Delica in ATS-55, and my Schrade Old Timer Buzzsaw trapper cut better than both of the Spydercos, and it's "Schrade+ stainless steel" (whatever that is?).
Is the Schrade made of better steel? No, but it has awesome edge geometry (thin and slightly concave) and it cuts like crazy.

I also suspect that VERY few people (including the knife knuts on this forum) use their knives to the steel's fullest potential.
I've seen guys whittle, skin animals, scale and slice fish with a Buck 110 for 5 days in the woods without resharpening. And now some folks would have you believe it takes an exotic steel like VG10 or ATS-35 to handle that kind of work.

For common cutting (string, paper, fruit, plastic packages, tape, ect) even my Victorinox SAKs don't need re-sharpened but once every couple of weeks.

CRKT makes quality knives at affordable prices. And if you don't think AUS-6 is a quality steel remember that Spyderco also uses AUS-6 on some of its knives (the stainless steel Endura II, the stainless steel Delica II, the SpyderCard).
I believe AlMar knives also use AUS-6 in some of their knives and they're certainly quality knives.

Don't get me wrong, there are better steels, but the steel alone does'nt make the knife a great knife. Sometimes exotic steels are just marketing hype to sell more knives.

Thanks for listening,
Allen.

I agree, geometry is very important. I just got tired of having to sharpen AUS-6 blades so often, I've been spoiled by using the premium steels for so long. You're right, for the average person cutting string etc, the CRKT line is ok. Plus, your average person who dosn't know anything about knives would have a better chance of sharpening a softer steel like AUS-6. Most of the people here probably use their knives a lot harder though, at least enough to warrant an upgrade. Still, CRKT fills a niche that obviously exists.

BTW, I think the Endura II (Stainless Steel model) is AUS-8, not AUS-6...at least it is now. The Spydercard is AUS-6 though.

Personally I see nothing wrong with AUS-6. For the average Joe, AUS-6 is good steel for a working knife and holds a good edge and on the plus side, is not difficult to sharpen. I think CRKT has done good by producing great stylish knives at an affordable price be it AUS-6, AUS-8 or whatever.

I've got a M1602Z a friend gave me. I was surprised at how much I like it-a comfortable good-looking knife, and I actually find the tanto useful. The fit is good, the factory edge was very good. But the steel is crap, IMO.
Takes a great edge quick, but section a few cardboard boxes, and that great edge is gone. It's usable, sure, but I don't want usable, I want sharp when I'm working. The edge doesn't last five minutes.
Only other 6A knife I've owned was a SOG (I always thought it was 440A:rolleyes:.), and had no complaints about it. Held an edge much, much better than the CRKT. The 420HC in my little Kershaw Scallion is better, too.

couple things to note about this topic that i've discovered.
#1 AUS6M and AUS6A are two different animals
and #2 Certain other companies named (Like SOG and Spyderco) really heat treat their AUS6 to it's full potential, CRKT seems to wimp out on this point.
And whilst we're on the topic of exceptional heat treats, *I've* been spoiled by Camillus and Kershaw, giving me 420HC knives that act very much like 440A in terms of edge retention.
A word on geometry: geometry only affects how a blade CUTS, not how well it keeps an edge, and geometry is, to a certain extent, modifiable by a good sharpener.

This topic is not an issue of "which steel cuts better", you can get almost ANY steel to take a hair-poppin' edge, the hard part is keeping it.

I've got a Mirage in AUS-6 that I bought from SMKW for a mere $10. Also got a Grey Ghost in AUS-8 for $15. No complaints with either one. The AUS-6 gets plenty sharp and is easy to resharpen. If CRKT upgraded their steel, then their knives wouldn't be so affordable. They're filling a nice niche in the market, methinks. Good designs with adequate steel that most folks can afford--especially on closeout!

The only thing I'm not wild about with the CRKTs is that "Taiwan" is etched onto the blade. I know it's somewhat unreasonable, but I've always associated "Made in Taiwan" with poor quality--especially when it comes to tools. So I polished it of my small Mirage, which had a satin finish. After polishing, a few strokes with some fine sandpaper, and the grain matched the rest of the blade.

I would have to agree with the rest of the CRKT owners, the steel is decent, but could be better, and due to the bead blast finish, it sometimes gets rust spots out of nowhere

I have bought several CRKT's, and have gotten rid of all of them. I bought every one of them because I was intrigued with the design, but I tired of them after a while.

The performance was adequate for most of the things I neede them for, I have just been spoiled by better steels.

CRKT must definitely know something about marketing, because they sell a lot of knives to users. The good thing about them is that they introduce a lot of people to custom designs who would otherwise probably not ever become familiar with them.

This can lead to more knife nuts like us. :)

i dont find any real problem with the AUS 6M steel used in CRKT knives

they are easy to sharpen, take a razor edge and dont dull if you use them for light work

those are important things for beginners (it was my first good knife, the stiff kiss). i wouldnt have wanted to struggle trying to sharpen freehand a knife in 154 CM which i am just starting to get used to.

but get rid of the bead blast, its not that attractive, and like everyone else says, it seems to help rust develop

overall though, you probably wouldnt want a CRKT knife if you want to do you 'crazy stuff' with it. hmm......apparantly strider makes some tough knives, and the buck strider folder is really built strong. you might want to try those

Daniel

I would'nt consider AUS-6 good for only "light duty". My CRKT knives get the job done just like my Spydercos.

I also guess it depends on your definition of "light" and "heavy" cutting.
A friend of mine was cutting through thick PVC pipe with his Mirage and made the comment "I wish this knife had VG-10 so this would be easier".
I told him "Don't be an idiot. Go get the hacksaw!"

Allen.

Back