Eye protection

Hi

I had a pair of protective glasses and knew that a few Kali school recommend them so I decided to wear them for the class.

Last week, the teacher, yep, the teacher, got a training knife right between the eyes and started to bleed. He could have lose an eye on that one.

How many of you wear eye protection for Kali classes?

I've just started, bought a pair of glasses used for racquectball/squash. Recently attended a seminar where it was strongly suggested they be used and I felt like a bit of a tool for not having any after seeing the more experienced guys all using them.

Your example drives the point further home. Getting poked in the face with a rubber knife is bad enough, I can see how serious eye damage could occur.

Thank god, i haven't seen any eye incidents in an FMA setting. But I have seen it happen in a Wing Chun class. one student was using the Biu Gee ( thrusting hands ) technique which essentially seeks out the most efficient angle to thrust the finger tips towards the target. In this case, as combative movement would have it... the defender's elbow parried the strike right.. into his eyes. and yes, there was bleeding. Guy wasn't wearing eye goggles, what can I say?

Everything turned out ok. But, safety was not being observed by the student and default the kwoon. ( school ).

ADF

I insist my students wear eye protection when we do any knife work. I always ask my students to make sure they have some kind of eye protection with them - even for their first class. I even have a few spares in case I have a new student or one of my old students forget theirs. Even something like shooting glasses, work goggles, or even sunglasses are better than nothing. I usually recommend shooting glasses or the nicer wrap -around work "googles" that look more like sunglasses from one of the Home Improvement stores.

Definitely use eye protection for trapping stick and blade work. The first time I got a stick sneak through a drill and broke my glasses, I vowed not to wear some sort of eye protection. also I noticed a lot of close in knife flow, and disarm drill have a high tendency to slip through after high reps. racketball goggles work well, I generally use lab or work safety wraparound goggles

...What J8mes said.

I wear eye protection all the time though LOL. The Recspecs (prescription) Biker glasses. They are the shiznit.

I think I will suggest Eye protection to be more than a suggestion for our classes.

I'm against wearing protection gloves for stickwork, getting hurt is part of the training. But for the eyes, it's another story.

I think I will suggest Eye protection to be more than a suggestion for our classes.

I'm against wearing protection gloves for stickwork, getting hurt is part of the training. But for the eyes, it's another story.

For sparring please wear some sort of protection on the hands if sparring with rattan. baseball or lacrosse gloves even hockey. Hands are important for driving home after class:D

...I find that particularly funny today because of the bruise I'm sporting right above my solar plexe from a rubber trainer we worked out with last night LOL. A good strike to the knuckles with rattan can leave one unable to work for weeks :thumbdn:

It is manditory for all knife training at my school and for all weapons training (stick or knife) in the kids class (12 and up).

While I've never felt the need for eye protection during stick training, I'd also never do knife training without.

Shooter's wrap-around glasses for any weapon sparring - be it stick or knife, or when eye jabs and similar techniques are used. I was actually struck into my left eye with a rattan stick pretty badly before I adopted this policy (I wore glasses only for knifework)... no lasting damage resulted, I was incredibly lucky.

During sparring bouts with sticks and training knives, I wear a fencing mask. I feel it gives me better protection to face stabs that might slide under a pair of safety goggles.

I saw someone take some stick shrapnel to the eye through a WEKAF mask. So, I modified my mask with a clear hockey eye-shield. Still, the facemask is open enough for a training knife to the mouth.

Which means, I still wear the fencing mask when it comes to training knife sparring.

For less injury to you or your training partner...I will suggest the NOK training knife to avoid those type of injuries...They are verry well made & alows you to train harder / more realistic. I discovered these knives through Tom Sotis In one of his training classes and was verry impressed by them (AMOK/KNIFE). & we didnt even have to wear gogles & yes we trained full blast...LoL''
NOK knives...verry good product!

Zombie

http://trainingblades.com/product_i...d=140&osCsid=4e621845af32f940dbabe6911bb7099e
http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/

Back