F. Dick premier plus or 1905

Im pretty sold on buying an F. Dick as my next knife probably a 10in for larger jobs like portioning steaks or cutting melons etc.
Ive used an 8in 1905 from a fellow chef i like the feel (no dick jokes) but not a fan of how round the belly of the blade is.
on the other hand the geometry of the premier plus looks more appealing to me but it has a full bolster and from my experience with wüstof knives it gets in the way alot

Any one got any opinions or facts to sway me in either direction

10 inches takes a big cutting board. Meant to prep large amount of food. 8 inch is big too but it's more precise. Say, cutting and scoring an onion.

Round belly. You start the cut by pushing forward and then following the edge through, things like meat, with a pull. It's meant for slicing.

Flatter belly. Rocking cuts to dicing. With some slicing capability.

The difference between a knife without a integral bolster. It's stamped. The one with the bolster is forged. Stamped is softer then forged.

And don't do the slicing watermelon excuse. Use a bread knife.

10 inches takes a big cutting board. Meant to prep large amount of food. 8 inch is big too but it's more precise. Say, cutting and scoring an onion.

Round belly. You start the cut by pushing forward and then following the edge through, things like meat, with a pull. It's meant for slicing.

Flatter belly. Rocking cuts to dicing. With some slicing capability.

The difference between a knife without a integral bolster. It's stamped. The one with the bolster is forged. Stamped is softer then forged.

And don't do the slicing watermelon excuse. Use a bread knife.
Im a chef in a commercial chef i use an 8 inch messermeister for my everyday prep, we have the big chopping boards for said big prep
I have a 10in shun that ive had for 10 years to do the sort of jobs I described but its seen a lot of wear and tear and im retiring it for home so hence the question about the knives
It wasnt a question on how to use a knife it was a question for people who may own those particular knives for their input on it , does the bolster get in the way on the premier or do they find the larger belly on the 1905 to be more uncomfortable in everyday use, hows the edge retention, those sort of questions.
And you dont have half the control peeling a melon with a breadknife because the blade is single sided it curves too much ive got way more control using a chef knive

Im a chef in a commercial chef i use an 8 inch messermeister for my everyday prep, we have the big chopping boards for said big prep
I have a 10in shun that ive had for 10 years to do the sort of jobs I described but its seen a lot of wear and tear and im retiring it for home so hence the question about the knives
It wasnt a question on how to use a knife it was a question for people who may own those particular knives for their input on it , does the bolster get in the way on the premier or do they find the larger belly on the 1905 to be more uncomfortable in everyday use, hows the edge retention, those sort of questions.
And you dont have half the control peeling a melon with a breadknife because the blade is single sided it curves too much ive got way more control using a chef knive

Ok, so are you asking for a new work knife? Or suggestions on what is best used in your home kitchen?

Because, If these are commercial questions. I'm out.

That's not always the case. Some makers weld a bolster to a stamped knife and a lot of knives without a bolster are forged.

As a new designer/maker This post is Golden.....discussing the subtle nuances.
Just wish there were pictures involved!

What I can contribute.... I was asked to make a 10 inch knife for a young chef. It seems Huge.... In my head, I'm assuming I'm going to be asked for something smaller at a later date.

Because of that, I made a smaller 7&8" version. Seems right.
curious how all this will go?

If you're set on the Brand then you're all set.
kWDqTq.jpg

But if too much Belly/bolster is the issue Japanese gyutos offer a solution.
The Tojiro DP VG10 DP at 270mm is a good choice.
But if you really want something really interesting, the Tojiri 270mm in R2 Powder Steel at 63-64 HRC will
blow the pants off any F.Dick/Zwilling/Wustoff in XCrMoV15 (a 4116 satinless variant) at 56 HRC.
I say this owning both for years.
Interestingly, Tojiro used to be the exclusivd distributor for F.Dick in Japan decades ago.

Back