Falkniven PC

For years (I'm 64 now) I've carried traditional pocket knives. When I discovered Queen's D2 that put me into what many consider, the modern traditional knife.

My latest addition to the modern traditional is the Falkniven PC. I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces yet but it should hold an edge right up there with the best of steels.
1_zpsof5msyfw.jpg

The first thing you notice is it's left & right handed, there is a nail nick on both sides of the blade. The nick is deeper than it needs to be because this knife is one of the smoothest opening knives I've seen. You can use the nail nick or pinch it open. Blade is centered & the lock up is perfect with no vertical play and no side to side play. There's a nice click as it closes to let you know it's locked. I didn't take it apart but the blade is held closed by a small bump/detent on the liner lock. You can feel a light bump as it rolls off the tang when you are opening it.
3_zpsems34ubb.jpg

5_zpsprwiauq8.jpg

You can close it one handed, just press the liner lock with your thumb and roll it shut with your index finger. It came adjusted with just enough friction that you don't have to worry about the blade falling on your fingers.
Stainless steel liners are inletted in to the handle. The handle is fiberglass reinforced Grilon. Grilon is a high strength, high impact plastic.

The Falkniven PC came with a good working edge, smoother than most with no burrs. The edge was ground about 20 degrees per side, I re-profiled mine to 18 degrees per side. That might be a bit conservative to some but since I don't shave with a knife it will be a good working edge for my uses.
4_zpskln2l3ey.jpg

The PC has my favorite all purpose blade shape. If I could change one thing, it would be to thin the blade down from .120 to .100 thick.
8_zpsg6hvmibt.jpg

You will not find this knife on youtube killing zombies, cutting tin cans, stabbing sidewalls, chopping trees, batoning what doesn't need batoned, prying open doors etc,etc.
On the other hand if you want a great EDC knife that you won't notice in your pocket, that can do all of the cutting chores most of us encounter, & then some. The Falkniven PC is a great bang for your buck.
One of my favorite design rules is the KISS principle (keep it simple stupid) and the PC holds to that rule very well. It's not fancy but it's extremely well made & should work equally well as a working knife or as a more casual knife.

Specifications
Total length: 174 mm (6.85")
Length folded: 100 mm (3,94")
Blade length: 73 mm (2.87")
Blade thickness: 3 mm (0.120")
Weight: 2.33 oz
Steel: Lam.CoS
Hardness: 60 HRC
Handle material: Grilon
Locking: Liner action

The Falkniven PC is the light for it's size, thickness is falls between the IRJ & Mini-Barrage.
Top to bottom, Benchmade Mini-Barrage 586 - 3.87oz., Falkniven PC 2.33oz., Northwoods IRJ 2.10oz.,
6_zpsz44yzysu.jpg

7_zpscelip1tv.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the review and pics. Haven't tried this knife, but I have wondered about it a few times. The steel seems fantastic for a work knife that you won't want to resharpen constantly, but would respond well enough to a pocket stone.

Regarding the blade thickness, would you say the PC cuts as well as something thinner, like the Indian River Jack? And are the liners up to some twisting you would encounter whittling, say, a spoon?

Nice review. Good job. Thank you. I've been impressed with Fallkniven for a while now. I think you will enjoy the lam cos steel. It's really responsive to stropping. Brings its edge to laser like levels. My volcano is by far my favorite knife & lam cos my favorite steel. Good luck with it n enjoy!

Thanks for the review and pics. Haven't tried this knife, but I have wondered about it a few times. The steel seems fantastic for a work knife that you won't want to resharpen constantly, but would respond well enough to a pocket stone.

Regarding the blade thickness, would you say the PC cuts as well as something thinner, like the Indian River Jack? And are the liners up to some twisting you would encounter whittling, say, a spoon?

The IRJ is .80 at it's thickest, the mini is .100 and the PC is .120, so on paper it would seem the IRJ is the better slicer. I cut up some hard corrugated cardboard and the Mini-Barrage was the best slicer, 2nd was the Fallkniven PC, followed by the IRJ.

I made about 30 cuts with each rotating from one knife to another. I think what made the difference is the fact I can get a better grip with the two larger knives. That may have offset the fact that the IRJ has the thinner blade.

All three were sharpened at 18 degrees per side with a 1500 diamond.

I've never whittled anything nicer than a marshmallow stick but I clamped it in a vise and gave it a mild twist.
It's more than strong enough to stand up to cutting pressure but I think a more solid frame would be nice on a whittler.

Nice review. Good job. Thank you. I've been impressed with Fallkniven for a while now. I think you will enjoy the lam cos steel. It's really responsive to stropping. Brings its edge to laser like levels. My volcano is by far my favorite knife & lam cos my favorite steel. Good luck with it n enjoy!

If the LAM CoS is what I am hopping it will be, I have no doubt I'll love it.

I cut up some hard corrugated cardboard and the Mini-Barrage was the best slicer, 2nd was the Fallkniven PC, followed by the IRJ.
[...]
I think what made the difference is the fact I can get a better grip with the two larger knives. That may have offset the fact that the IRJ has the thinner blade.

That makes sense, and is a great point in favour of the larger knives. Makes an opinel look like genius, doesn't it? Thin blade, fat comfortable handle.

I've never whittled anything nicer than a marshmallow stick but I clamped it in a vise and gave it a mild twist.
It's more than strong enough to stand up to cutting pressure but I think a more solid frame would be nice on a whittler.

Woah! Thanks for trying it out. I tried a Fallkniven U2, which has no liners, and it flexed a bit too much for my comfort level on twisting cuts. This one seems a step more rigid. Thanks again for the report.

How do you like the plastic handle?

I like the handle, the handles shape gives you a good grip. The material itself is not like Bucks Delrin or SAK's Celidor the fiberglass reinforcement gives it a light texture. Kind of like 2000 grit wet/dry paper. Outside in the light you can actually see the fiberglass.

How hard/possible it is to open it with one hand? from the videos and pictures it looks like there is enough space to push the blade out with a thumb. Please let me know if anyone owns this knife and tried doing that.
Thanks.

How hard/possible it is to open it with one hand? from the videos and pictures it looks like there is enough space to push the blade out with a thumb. Please let me know if anyone owns this knife and tried doing that.
Thanks.
It can be done but it's much easier and faster to just pinch it open.

It can be done but it's much easier and faster to just pinch it open.
Got the knife. You are right its possible but not very easy. The much easier way to open with one hand is to turn it upside down, use the nail pick to crack open the blade, turn it back and then open it with thumb. It sounds clumsy, but actually works good if you can't use the other hand.
Thanks for your response.

Back