• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Farid Mehr K2 project in D3 tool steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

farid.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello members,
I will be building a batch of K2 folders in the next few months, delivery to be either before end of 2014 or just after. Please let me know if you are interested in adding your name to the list and I will start a list on here. No deposit is needed just a firm order.

All the K2 folders will be tip down, right hand. D3 tool steel blade, 4.5” aprox blade, 10” overall, blasted titanium frame lock, ceramic D tent ball, blade thickness not decided yet but it will be around 0.180 to 0.200 , blade will be flat ground halfway up the blade, flat sections of the blade will be surface ground finish, they will be sharpened to a rolled convex edge.
Thank you all,
Farid

Last edited:
They will look similar to this K2 with surface ground finish on the flats.

Last edited:
K2 List, (D3 steel)

1. PrimitiveEnergy

Hello Farid!

I'm in for one too, my friend!

Best regards,
Alex

Thank you Alex, how are you my friend, your D3 Khukuri will be finished soon.

K2 List, (D3 steel)

1. PrimitiveEnergy
2. MtnMark
3. Alex

Farid, I'm interested but would like to know more about D3 steel. I have a set of Ray Iles mortise chisels in D2, and they're great in terms of toughness and edge retention. How does D3 compare?

Thanks!

Gary

Farid, I'm interested but would like to know more about D3 steel. I have a set of Ray Iles mortise chisels in D2, and they're great in terms of toughness and edge retention. How does D3 compare?

Thanks!

Gary

Hello Gary,
D3 is higher carbon and it can go higher in RC by around 2 points if you wanted it to, I heat-treat the D3 folder blades to around 61RC and the D3 competition choppers to around 59-60RC. They are similar steels just higher carbon, I would say D2 a little tougher, D3 harder. It all depends on Heat-treating too.
F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back