Favorite After Shaves?

So what do you guys like? How many of you use after shaves? I like the Niva After Shave Balms.

the only brand of shaving products of any kind are PINAUD. especially BAY RUM & VANILLA. GOOD PRODUCTS :) :)

david allen said:
the only brand of shaving products of any kind are PINAUD. especially BAY RUM & VANILLA. GOOD PRODUCTS :) :)

I have the Pinaud Vanilla. It's good stuff, but has a lot of alcohol.

I use Aqua di Gio, my wife likes it, and I've had a number of different women comment on it. My wife DOESN'T like that! :eek:

david allen said:
Iagree! but boy do i like the aroma and so does the better half :D

My wife hasn't been real fond of my after shaves so far. She's like "UHG! What is that smell! What did you put on!?!?!" Hehe. She hated Bay Rum big time.

Old Spice alchahol free...

Is that lame?

I don't know much of special aftershaves and my dad always used old spice so I kinda like it from memory.

The alchahol free part is new to me since I started shaving with a straight. First shave I splashed some of that green brisk crap on my face andf I felt like Liam Nieson in Darkman.....or that other guy in Darkman 3: Die Darkman Die......I just wanted to type that cause its one of my favorite movie titles.

No after shave at all. When I did try some, years ago, my screaming would wake up my wife! ;)

Seriously, I have such sensitive skin on my face, I can make myself bleed with a dried out washcloth. Seriously.

BTW, any product suggestions for shaving if you have very sensitive skin?

cockroachfarm said:
BTW, any product suggestions for shaving if you have very sensitive skin?

I know what you mean about the burning. Any after shave that contains a lot of alcohol will burn like a mother, but I've gotten kind of used to it and now I enjoy the pain. :) Makes me feel like a man! ;)

However, sometimes I don't feel like pain, or if I've don't a lot of scrapping with my straight razor I'll use Niva's sensative balm. Check it out, it's good stuff. They have mild balm and sensative balm. Both are good, but the sensative burns less.

Another thing you can do, before applying it, is rinse your face with COLD water after you shave. This helps to shrink your pours, stop bleeding, etc. So then when you put the after shave on it won't get into your pours as much.

because they tend to have less alcohol. The best I've found are the
Col. Conk Almond balm and the Burt's Bee's Bay Rum.
Both cut a serious swath though my industrial razor burn.

-Chad

moorerwc said:
...The best I've found are the
Col. Conk Almond balm....

Where could I buy this one? I love the smell of almonds. My son uses a shaving cream with a strong almond aroma and it smells good enough to eat! Seriously! :)

Big Bay Rum fan- I still have a bottle I got in a drugstore for about $3.00.
Also like the Le Occitane after shave balm (and shaving cream in a tube).

#4711 cologne it has a light odor of citrus and on the internet the largest bottles cost what the smallest bottles cost in a mall. The 28 fluid oz bottle costs $28 on the web and in the mall 5 fluid ozs is $33 normally . I have been a loyal devotee for over 40 years,BTW I like the brisk"burn" right after shaving,encourages good shaving techniques.

Trumper! Only brand of aftershave or shaving soap I have used for the past decade - outstanding stuff that can't be beat in my experience.

smokinbasser said:
...#4711 cologne....

"4711 Kölnisch Wasser"?

Forgot about that one. It was my grandmother's favorite! Where can you buy it on the Internet at a decent price?

WadeF said:
I like the Niva After Shave Balms.
Same here.

I was happily surprised to find that the Nivea After Shave Balm, alcohol-free, for sensitive skin, did at least as good a job as the more expensive stuff. And it doesn't leave me stinking of flowers or musk or anything like that.

As for the alcohol-free part, when I'm done shaving, I want to put something on my face that will soothe and heal skin that's just been repeatedly scraped by a literally razor sharp blade. Alcohol's not soothing, and alcohol doesn't heal skin. (It dries it, in fact.)

I started using plain old aloe gel instead of aftershave about a year ago and my only regret is that I didn't switch sooner. Wonderful stuff.

Jonathan

Back