Favorite FMA seminars

Hey all,

What have been your most memorable FMA seminars you have attended?

I truely loved Manong Inosanto's, Sayoc Kali Sama Sama, and Ray Floro's FFS events!

Also, is anyone here heading to the annual Sayoc Kali Sama Sama down in Florida at the end of the month? Looking forward to meeting some of the new people I met through recent forum discussions here and around the web.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

I have attended six Professor Remy Preas seminars and all were great.
I have also attended a Rene Latosa seminar that was was really good aswell.
Those would have to be my fav FMA seminars .

I have been to a bunch of other seminars aswell, Billy Blanks(pre Tae-Bo)
Joe Lewis, Bill Wallace, Royce Gracie(x3) , Ungi Awazu, and a bunch of karate based seminars and day work shops,

I conjuntion with regular training I think you can learn a great deal form a seminar

Cya
jimi

Hello Jimi,

Couldn't agree with you more on seminars, they are a great way to keep you motivated and on the continuously learning curve!

Hi Bogs,
GT Gaje and R. Tortal, great seminars to be had! Have you had the opportunity to train with GM Nene Tortal? Lots of politics (all aside here) in the FMA clans but if you have the chance he is a another great one to catch!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

I think it was in 2001 that I saw GM Nene Tortal doing a demo in a knife show.

Been to a few Bram Franks seminars,always learn something.Great teacher.Also went to Prof.Rick Hernandez Seminar...nice guy & boy can he move!
Jim

Ray Floro's seminar... I couldn't believe how quickly he was able to improve my skills in two short afternoons. Previously, I was doing a bit of wandering around FMA trying to find the right fit for me, and when I saw Ray's system dispensed with the non-alive training techniques (flow drills,etc) for all-combative training techniques, I knew I found the best fit for me and for the way I learn. I switched to Ray's system after that. Plus, I loved the way Ray didn't just teach, but got in there and sparred with everyone, something too few instructors do.

That's freaking awesome! I would love to go to a FMA seminar with someone of that caliber. Maybe I'll check out Ray's site to see if he ever makes it Chicago. The last seminar I went to was with Gat Puno Abon "Garimot" Baet last year. No sparring or alive training there, but that's pretty much the norm in FMA seminars. Abon is a very cool teacher though, I wish I could've seen him a few months ago.

I really really miss going to the Degeberg Academy to see Guro Inosanto. Ahhh, those were the good ol' days.

Hi Guys,

Fully agree with you on Ray Floro's seminars!! I love his evil laugh!!!
Also, I am releasing a seminar dvd of Ray at my school next week.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

Hello Guys,

Just got back from the Sayoc Sama Sama I'll post the link to the review article I put on the site later, but thanks to everyone who is interested in the FFS DVD(and all the emails!), it is completed and orders started shipping today!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Sure is! Filmed in 2003 at my school in New Hampshire.

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L.

Thanks. I thought so. I tried putting in a phone order, but both toll free and regular number were not working. I'll have to order online.

Gumagalang
Nick

Hi Nick

I am trying to rip the old contact info from the store site, but I am having some difficulties, got your order and it went out yesterday, be sure to reply to the offer for the free bonus and i'll email it to you straight away!

Stay tuned to the site for more updates...working on several projects to be released over the coming weeks!

Gumagalang
Guro Steve L

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Without a doubt the best series of seminars I have attended in over 20 years of involvement in the Filipino Martial Arts are those put on by Punong Guro Myrlino Hufana's World Filipino Martials Arts Association. www.worldfma.com

This year will be the 5th weekend Expo, Seminar and Laban Laro (stick sparring) October 5-7 in Bellevue, Wa. Filipino Grandmasters and Masters from all over the world will attend and teach. It is a chance to be exposed to some unusual facets of the Filipino Martial Arts. At past seminars we have had Grandmaster Estalilla teaching the Bangkon shield staff and demonstrating Panabas and Pinga techniques, Gat Puno Baet teaching Lubud rope techniques and demonstrating shield and spear techniques, as well as the full gamut of long blade, stick, knife and empty hand techniques, with each Master teaching his specialty.

The all day Laban Laro tournaments are excellent, with lots of action, well thought out rules, honest judging and a spirit of Brotherhood from all participants. In addition to single and double stick matches for all skill levels, last year they introduced a Live Stick/minimal padding (helmet & gloves only) match for the advanced level players. This was fast, exciting...and left some real colorful bruises and bukols!

There are numerous sales tables for custom training weapons and tools, live blades, books on the FMA, demo and training DVD's and videos and information on the various instructors and their systems.

Each night is capped off by a banquet/demo/get together where you can sit down at the same table with Grandmasters, Masters and Guros from all over the country and the world, for dinner and conversation. Where else can you see Grandmaster Narrie Babao doing his Elvis impersonation, complete with white leather sequinned jump suit!

If you are in the Northwest don't miss it! Hope to see you there.

Guro Scott Brennan, Lucaylucay Kali

After a WES (West Coast Eskrima Society) meeting there was always a jam session after amongst the fellowship. Highlighting at the days end were founding members, Max Sarmiento, Mike Inay, Dentoy Revillar, Gilbert Tenio, Johnny LaCoste, Danny Inosanto and other notables of the era, circa 1970's. Fun times!

Matador-

Back