Favorite Survival knife?

Joe, I don't know if Mel makes "machetes" as such. But then again I don't really think a machete is an actual blade type. For example take a 12" Ontario machete and make it 3/16 or 1/4" thick, is it still a machete?

Anyway, I have been discussion some thin bladed large (10-12") knives with Mel, these would be of similar geometry to most machetes.

-Cliff

Are they're any knives, survival or non, out there that are thicker than 5/16th an inch thick, or is that as thick as knives come?

Tuff, yes. There are lots of knives thicker than that. I have them around 1/2" thick at the spine (HI khukuris).

-Cliff

Tuff:
The Ghurka Light Kukri does have a thinner blade, but I don't forsee any problems with it snapping. I've chopped down small trees, and split firewood for a campfire with it, and have been nothing but pleased with it's performance! Personally I think the LTC Kukri would be better for these tasks, but I received the Ghurka as a present, so...

------------------
"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm."
RFrost5746@aol.com or Robert_Frost@ars.aon.com

If you like the CS Light Kukri for chopping and splitting firewood you should try a real khukuri from HI or GH,you`ll be in for a real treat. I used an Ontario machette for years as my big camp blade and was very pleased with it until I tried my Bhojpure and a huge 5/16" convex ground "bowie". The thinner blades are nice for extended carrying but the heavier ones aren`t too bad once you get used to em. Marcus

Having just recieved my Himalayan imports 18" AK, I have to say this is my blade of choice. Definately the knife to bring when I walk the valley of the shadow of death.

Plus it comes with a 4" side knife, what other survival knife can beat that?

If I could afford it, I'd choose Newt Livesay's RTAK and the Air Assault, also by Newt. Otherwise I'd opt for the inexpensive and definitely usable Ontarios: SP5 'Survival Bowie', and the SP17 'US Quartermaster'.

Two blades? I'm a knifeknut! I'd never get stuck anywhere with only one blade!!!
wink.gif
smile.gif
In fact, I'd have one around my neck, one in the SOB, a folding clip knife, an ankle back-up, ...
wink.gif

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

The perfect survival knife? Good question. For me it would be 2 knives. #1 would be my "Patrolman". This knife is cyrogenically treated ATS-34. The handle scales are hand shaped from linen Micarta®. The "Patrolman" is 7 1/4" overall length, and features the very usefull drop point type blade. #2 would be my "Spec Ops Bowie". This knife is 12" overall. Features a cryo treated ATS-34 blade. Also has a well radiused black linen Micarta® handle. The blade style is that of a bowie. It is flat ground for maximum strength. I know these knives are tough, because they are tested by cutting a 16penny nail in two using a 4 pound sledge hammer to drive them thru. These knives can be seen at www.angelfire.com/on2/griffithknives. You can also see the Professional Knifemakers Association "Best Tactical Knife of Show" for 1999, the "Spec Ops Tanto" on that site, on the larger knives page.

[This message has been edited by Lynn Grififth Knives (edited 19 August 1999).]

Definitely a STEAK Knife!!!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"Walk softly and carry a big stick"...TR

[This message has been edited by greenie (edited 19 August 1999).]

rfrost - that's good to know, may consider getting one down the road. While on this subject, lemme ask you this - how come you like the LTC Kurki over the light Ghurki? I can see that the LTC is wider, but have never used either of them. What things might the LTC do better?

Cliff, (or anyone)

Can you lead me in the direction of a site that might sell and have some pictures of some knives that thick, or close to that?

Favorite Survival Knife: Livesay RTAK

‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹

"Tread lightly and carry a big knife."

have just received Newt Livesays' #131 air assault, WOW.this is one very seriuose tool.sure ain't no powder puff.never seen anything quite like it. a BIG thank you to all those on forum who gave me sage advice on this purchase. great value for my money & great guy to deal with.(Newt that is ) ordering a RTAK today.between these two, let the fun begin ! cheers W

I look through my collection of knives and one in particular stands out for me were I reduced to one. I kind of surprised myself, but I'd want the Fallkniven A1 and its black titanium oxide coating. This knife is nearly indestructible and it in VG-10. I don't want a machete for cutting wood in the temperate rainforests of Oregon. You will be at it all day trying to hack berry brambles and always wet and green wood. It is more energy efficient to find another way to get where you're going. I carry a pocket "chain saw" if I find myself having to make anything grander for shelter than a pine bough lean-to. Yeah, given just one knife I'll take the 6.25 inch Swede.

Those Grifith knives look great. I like that Patrolman, looks really handy.

Those Grifith knives look great. I like that Patrolman, looks really handy.
Thanks Tknife. That is my best seller. Heres a picture fr those that haven't seen it
patrolmen.jpg

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com

From a completely uinformed arm-chair knife nut, I'd have to say Busse Combat Basics #9, a 3.5"(longer than standard I believe) Cetan in Talonite, my Sebenza and a small SAK. With those four knives I could live the rest of my life happy. :) The Busse would be the one if I had to walk into a survival situation with only one knife.

Now, will someone post a URL for Newt Livesay's knives?

Jon

I simply cannot believe this. Not one of you votes for a Chris Reeve Mountaineer 2? If I had my choice, it would be two knives: the CRK Mountaineer 1 and the CRK Mountaineer 2. Spyderwire/hooks in the handle of one, fireproof matches in the other, and there I am eating trout by the campfire! Of course, since this is theoretical, I've got my 870 along for venison anyway!

Back