Favorite????

allen456

Just curious. Since I have expanded my lineup in various styles, what is your favorite model and why?

I personally have been toting my personal Nomad the most and looking at making a sheath for either my Drifter or Frontier Loveless Utility.

The Nomad fits for most of my daily task and love the styling for sure.

I don't know if this helps but my top 3 Surls models would be the Bobcat, the Big Palmer and the Shark. I've had the Bobcat in 1/8 SFT, 1/8 TT and 3/32 SFT & the Big Palmer in 3/32 SFT and 1/8 SFT ... and I'm sorry but I've got to toss blade stock into the conversation. They feel like very different knives depending on the blade stock and taper. For their smaller size, the thin stock is pretty much a requirement for me, otherwise the knife too heavy/beefy. It's not just the model but the combination of model and 3/32 blade stock. (just in case you haven't heard enough of that request lol)

I don't think I've ever seen a Shark on one of your sales (since I started following you mid 2016) and the one I have, I got through a trade and just love the knife! You should make them more often because you did a great job on the design!!:thumbsup:

Also, I've never held or owned a Bush Adder but I've always been drawn to it and would love to get my hands on one to check out one day (hint hint if anyone wants to loan one to me for some light fondling). You never know but it could nudge the other 3 off the top of my list.

Shark from your Model Lineup thread:
43468981763594-vi.jpg

Older Surls collection pic from Fall 2016. My tangerine Shark is 3rd from the bottom in the left column.
2v297jTchxAKujh.jpg

Let me first say allen456 allen456 that making this decision is very tough. Every piece I've gotten from you (including the rare and amazing one offs) is very much cherished and brings tears of joy whenever I handle them :D. I think from the Frontier line I really like the drifter for EDC and would be interested in a size specific sheath that would work for mine (I can get a 4 finger grip on it). The nomad is a very close second and probably for carry, feels the best in either a front pocket or belt sheath even though it's a 3 finger for me (3 finger does not limit my use of the nomad). AND for the bigger knives I like how my hand sinks into the handles of the Tatanka's and Dakota's. OH WAIT, then there is the Brisbee = OH MAN!! SHOOT, the palmer's!! I've picked up recently and Inlander's = great size knives that can handle many tasks. DANG IT!! can't discount the nice size and blade shape of the Hornet or Bobcat. Told you this was hard for me! Guess I didn't do so hot on this topic.

If I had to pick just one I guess it would be my Nomad, it is definitely my most carried. The size make it easy to EDC and, like you stated, it easily handles almost any task I typically use a knife for.

782A6ADF-553E-4ACE-BC72-DEC6BEC04551.jpeg

I have a rule for myself that if I’m to justify spending $300+ on a knife I must use it. I hold very strictly to this rule, the ONLY exception to this is my Revenant.

095ACDF7-3792-499A-9854-918AF1DF51F2.jpeg

Let me first say allen456 allen456 that making this decision is very tough. Every piece I've gotten from you (including the rare and amazing one offs) is very much cherished and brings tears of joy whenever I handle them :D. I think from the Frontier line I really like the drifter for EDC and would be interested in a size specific sheath that would work for mine (I can get a 4 finger grip on it). The nomad is a very close second and probably for carry, feels the best in either a front pocket or belt sheath even though it's a 3 finger for me (3 finger does not limit my use of the nomad). AND for the bigger knives I like how my hand sinks into the handles of the Tatanka's and Dakota's. OH WAIT, then there is the Brisbee = OH MAN!! SHOOT, the palmer's!! I've picked up recently and Inlander's = great size knives that can handle many tasks. DANG IT!! can't discount the nice size and blade shape of the Hornet or Bobcat. Told you this was hard for me! Guess I didn't do so hot on this topic.
I could definitely went this route when trying to pick a favorite but figured if it’s my most carried it must be my favorite.

I could definitely went this route when trying to pick a favorite but figured if it’s my most carried it must be my favorite.
I knew where you were going with this one. :thumbsup: And it makes most sense. Between the nomad or Drifter, I think that is where I would be when it comes down to it for EDC.

My favorite is the Palmer, then the Huntsman, then the nomad. I love the Palmer style grips. Like most of us, choosing a favorite may be reaching to the knife at your side that day. I prefer knives I can carry both in and out of the pocket as an EDC but by shear “coolness” my Bog Oak Revenant takes the cake.

I was on the lookout for the right Big Palmer and Arowana. Also wanted a Mantis. Seems like those models don't come up very much anymore

Tough question to answer allen456 allen456 . But my favorite(s) are the Skiva, because i use it the most in a professional kitchen. Even though its at the smaller range of pro kitchen knives it sees plenty of use. Not sure of the steel used at the moment, but it seems to have developed a pretty respectable patina. The other favorite is this Bush Adder. It doesn’t get much carry time so far. I really love the hollow grind, the file work, the mosaic pin, the Sapphire blue shade tree (?) scales, and black micarta bolsters. It’s a handsome blade for sure.
All said, my frontier blades are in a special class of their own. And as such I have my own favorites in that group.
90241916-F7AF-410B-AB42-02D3D51213F1.jpeg 1EC41D6D-B236-4A60-872A-3BED2A333E14.jpeg
22C48726-529F-4616-8341-2A29FD8C9F8C.jpeg

Last edited:
I only have an older Bush adder, so I like the feel in the hand, hollow ground and file work. The next ones that catch my eye are Minuteman and the Kestrel.

My favorite knife of yours Allen, that I own, has to be the Rustamuk w/ Osage and copper guard. Aesthetically awesome, light weight, feels great in the hand, carries easily in the pocket yet has a full grip handle. Other knives of this size are subjectively annoying to carry ISP but the Rustamuk in a simple fold over with a pocket clip sits nicely.

The short blade length can be limiting, but for light day to day cutting it works out fine. Not as bulky/tall as other muks, but wide enough to spread that cream cheese with ease. The A2 is well done, holds a fine edge and easy to maintain with simple stropping. The patina it has developed so far is glorious and fitting with the style and design of the knife.

Not many knives out there that I would collect multiples of, but If another Rustamuk that caught my eye popped up I would buy it.

The name needs work though....

I really love the Frontier Line - especially my Nomad and Revenant. But I think my all time favorites still remain my Osage Patch and my Amber Stag mini - Loveless. Oh but damn...I forgot the Inlander. Umm...ok, I hate having to choose. I guess it's gotta be the Patch.

Back