Favourite blade for hacking up vegetation

Hello.....I thought I might start a new thread on my favourite form of "sharp pointy thing" the Machet or any blade used for similar purposes.
I dislike the average flimsy bladed machetes available in most hardware/garden stores...They're great for removing the blackberry bushes in your back yard..but other than that, I have not found much use for them.
I grew tired of carrying both a hatchet AND a machete during my long treks into the Oregonian bush it was just too much weight to carry on a long walk.
I found a decent ontario 18" sawback machet at the local military surplus store, and considered it the best available to me until a vietnam vet I was working with took a look at it and said that I would be dead in 3 days if I went into any real jungle with that thing
He showed me his short, heavy bladed cleaver-like jungle knife saying that he can chop down small trees as well as clearing a path through thick vegetation.
few months later I found an identical blade on e-bay and grew to love it!! It's an unmarked wood handle "hacker". I haven't seen many around like it. The ones I have seen are French or English (used by the troops in Burma during WW2)I even saw the Skipper from Gilligan's island using one!
The handle did split apart..but I didn't mind because I love this kind of project and quickly replaced it with a better one made of mahogany
It's the perfect camp tool! I wear it on my belt,tie it to my leg right above my knee,and barely know it's there until I need it.
If anyone is interested in seeing a pic of it, I would really appreciate any input on the origins/manufacture of this blade.Thanks for reading this and please share your comments and opinions with me
Iain M.

Hey Rifter
what does
"BK&T" stand for? do you know fo any sites with pictures of them?
thanks for your reply, by the way..what's your favourite brush knife?
:)

ahh I feel like an idiot now..
Becker knife and tool is YOUR favourite.....I thought you were commenting on my blade.
I did see a pic of it, and it sure is an effective looking brush knife
:eek:

FatLuv420,
I'm sure I'd have no idea what you've got, but could you post a pic anyway, I'm interested to see what it looks like. I've just begun to get into the knife collecting/using deal but I know that my primary interest is in survival/fixed blade outdoor knives, so I'd love to look at this thing. Also, my favorite outdoor tool at the moment is my 12" machete that I picked up in Ecuador for about 10 bucks. Works well. Also, makes a nice ice scraper.
Lagarto

Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. That is one monster chopper!.:).

glockman99 wrote:
Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. That is one monster chopper!

Ditto on the Kukris. I use a G/H Service One in the backyard to clear up "vegetation". The SO made short work with single-chops of 1-2" branches on holly tree I was pruning a few weeks ago!

For lighter vegation though, I could see where the BK&T Patrol Machete would come in handy.

Is anything really better at hacking through jungles, brush, vegetation, etc. than the Woodsman's Pal?

Does anyone have one of these? If so, how are they?

I have no experience with heavy, chopping cutlery. I had always thought, though, based upon what I had seen and read, that these tools were the best at clearing away crap.

Here you go -- for chopping your way through red woods. :D

Seriously, if the Patrol Machete is too light for your vegetation of choice, try the original BK&T tool, the Machaxe. It's slightly thicker and more of a kukri action.

Himalayn Imports in the makers/manufacturers part of the forums has many offerings right up your alley. All stock is now 20% off because they are moving their shop and trying to raise capital fast.

The optimum machete configuration depends on what you need to cut. The heavier bolo machetes work best when you are cutting through thicker wood that stands up to a heavy cut. For lighter brushy material you want a thin and fast blade. So in the Phillipines the natives use bolos while in Mexico they use light and long machetes.

Originally posted by glockman99
Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri. That is one monster chopper!.:).

Yep. That's the one !

Wins in a duel with the French chef every time...

Dan

Another vote for the BK&T Patrol Machete. Last summer between my PM and Husqvarna trimmer, I cut out a lot of unwanted vegetation that seems to grow like wildfire during the warm weather months.

Back