FB01 Bill Moran Featherweight

I had understood that the FB01 Bill Moran Featherweight was going to be changed to a satin finish, flat ground blade, to reduce manufacturing cost, yet we were going to be rewarded with more useful Kydex sheath. There were many forum complaints re the first two changes, but everyone liked the change in the sheath.

Now I read the Spyderco page on the Moran knife at, http://www.spyderco.com/knife/cat_ccfb01.html

If the description there is to be believed the knife is left the same yet it is provided with a high-tech Kydex sheath. This would be great if accurate.

Did I miss a thread on this very busy forum? Have I gone to Spyderco heaven?
smile.gif

In short, Does the Moran knife now come with the convex Moran edge, mirror finish, AND Kydex sheath?

I hope the Kydex is the real Kydex 100. See the thread re imitations dissolving at http://www.knifeforums.com/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000804.html entitled "A *new* battle: bug spray versus KYDEX? WTF?"

I'll go ahead and answer this and if I'm wrong Danelle or Sal can let us know about it. At one time the original Moran came with a Dozier made kydex sheath. A friend of mine owned one. For whatever reason Spyderco switched to (went back to?) the leather sheath. I believe the web page must have been written when the mirror polished/moran edge model was sold with the Dozier sheath. I think the page just needs to be updated.

After reading the Spyderco link, it became clear that the proposed situation is probably the case, since it mentions the following...

"The sheath has a Dozier thumb release"

MDP

Get an Edge Works slip or tactical. They now have the slip with a built in belt clip. Pretty cool and well made.

Sal, have you worked a deal for the kydex sheaths on the updated Moran yet. If not, Edge Works is the deal!

Later,
Chris

Chris,

While visiting Sal and the gang this past weekend, the issue of the revised Moran came up. Sal offered to show me the new version but we got sidetracked. He also indicated that a choice had been made for a kydex sheath supplier... it wasn't Edge-Works. Oh well... I had even brought to show the folks another Moran prototype that Scott Evans had sent me to evaluate.

Regardless, the Spydie Moran is a winner.

-=[Bob]=-

Considering the potential problems mentioned in the thread I cite to above, what are the differences between the various Kydex 100 or similar sheaths for the Spyderco Moran, or for that matter, any other fixed blade.

I have seen several threads on this subject and I would like to turn this thread into a nice resource on the subject. Please feel free to add links that you know of or email me and I will edit my post to add the ones I am missing or have incomplete.

Dozier, either seperately ordered or the one that originally came with the Spyderco Moran.

Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths
picture at this thread http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000484.html

Edge-Works http://www.tacticalholsters.com/
specifically http://www.tacticalholsters.com/moran.htm

Tim Wagner at Blade-Tech Industries http://www.blade-tech.com/

http://www.bladerigger.com/

Frank Sigman at Edgeguard

The new sheath used by Spyderco.

Hi!

How is the Moran going to be changed? IMO, the edge is most of what the knife is, and then the steel and finish. If you drop the Moran edge you lose the knife. The handle looks weird... and IMO also again a knife like this doesn't want a quick draw tactical hi-tech sheat (don't know what kind of sheat it has now...) - black leather would be nice.

Harri

Harri,

Now that I got one, I can tell you that the Moran handle shape and material work! The grip is very comfortable and sure.

The Edgeworks slip sheath is definitely a sleeker improvement over the leather sheath that came with the knife. The knife fits perfectly providing just enough tension to retain the knife but not tight enough to be a pain or to leave scratches on the handle or blade. Definitely would recommend getting the Moran with Edgeworks sheath. (Got both at the same time in a great deal from Chai Cutlery.)

Others have said this and I'll second it -- the Moran's beautiful mirror finish and edge make me almost reluctant to use it... (I said "almost".
smile.gif
) I am sure after some use the mirror finish will be scratched and the edge will be reprofiled. I guess I wouldn't be upset if the Moran gets changed to a satin finish and a flat grind in the furture.

Moran, another nice Spyderco.

sing

I dont know exactly what the decision has been re: the sheath, but I DO know the new Morans shipping are satin finish.
Danelle

I kinda like the leather sheath because it does not mar that finish, butt the wife grabbed my first Moran (2nd shiney one came yesterday) and she does not normally wear a belt. I am looking to get her a sheath with a clip.
I can't imagine liking the new incarnation better than the first Moran, unless its a drop point.
smile.gif

Chinook,
I would perhaps like the leather sheath if it came with a Kydex guide strip around the inside edges of the sheath to keep the user from cutting the sheath. That still might not be enough to keep from cutting the sheath, but it would help. It would also avoid marring the mirror finish on the sides of the blade. I believe I like the cross draw too.

I think everyones problem/complaint was that it is too difficult to reinsert this extremely SHARP blade back into the sheath without damaging the sheath, especially if you are using it alot. A tip I read was to insert the Moran into the sheath and leave it there for a week or so to form a pocket. This helps but is not fool-proof
wink.gif

I'll stop here because there are already at least a couple of past threads which discuss, at length, this issue. The purpose of me starting this thread was to clarify what I read on the Spyderco webpage versus what I read on the aforementioned Moran threads here on the forum AND to get a comparison to the alternate Kydex sheaths, including whatever Spyderco had or will produce.

Chinook,

The new slip sheath w/ belt clip from Edge Works is pretty hard to beat. It is still pretty slick with the clip.

Later,
Chris

[This message has been edited by CPRaymond (edited 08 June 1999).]

The new Moran is satin finish, flat ground, cannel edge, very sharp. The new sheath is kydex. Very nice, Unique clip for attaching to belt (can be adjusted for upright, cross draw, any combination or removed to become a slip. Can be put on and snapped closed without taking belt off. The sheath was designed by Tim Wegner. The clip was designed by Bob Terzuola, Tim Wegner and engineedred by our own Vince Ford. Very nice. We'll have a sample at the Blade show.
sal

Sal,

Thanks for the info. Sheath sounds good. Wish I were going to the Blade Show to see a sample. Is it going to be shipping to dealers soon?

Donald.

Sal,

Will the sheath be available for owners of the first Morans as an upgrade, i.e. sold separately?

sing

Sing, before Sal can change his mind
wink.gif
he stated in the thread "future Moran Sheath" at http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000514.html on 8 May 1999, "Once it is in production, we will make it available to those that want one, one way or another."

Thus, the only two questions are, when it will be in production in, sufficient quantities, to satisfy Spyderco Moran fans and how reasonable will the price be.

<Font color=#FF0000>Sal?</font>

I didn't want to steal Sal's thunder so I'm glad he posted the specifics about the sheath. The clip design is said by everyone I've talked to who has viewed it to be very very nice indeed. Matter of fact, other sheath makers will be using the same clip on their products and that includes Scott Evans of Edge-Works (sourced from Tim Wenger).

What is great for Moran lovers is the wide assortment of aftermarket sheaths available. I'm sure that Tim's sheath will be available for those who already have Morans. I've admitted my personal bias before and repeat it here... the Edge-Works are the ones I use as they were developed originally for my son and me (see Scott's web page). Those who have followed and acquired the sheaths have also uniformly sung their praises. Looks like we ELUs have a WIN-WIN situation on our hands... continued availability of the Moran from Spyderco and kydex to boot from many sources
smile.gif
!

-=[Bob]=-

[This message has been edited by bald1 (edited 09 June 1999).]

Hi!

Is the 'cannel edge' Sal mentioned the same as the convex or Moran edge? (Sorry I'm not that familiar with these terms...)

Harri.

Back