Feedback on designs?

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
I wondered if you all could give me some feedback on a couple designs, given this is my first time trying kitchen knives.

About 8-8 1/2" gyuoto
20140127_235013.jpg

About 2 3/4" parers. I've been told these need to be pointy-er, so I'm open for suggestions.
20140127_235527.jpg

None of these are done completely with profiling, the parers are particularly a ways away in the handle area. It is negative 5 F here and I couldn't feel my hands in the shop, so I figured that was a good place to stop.

All suggestions and critiques are welcome. Don't be afraid to tell me if they are crap. I'd rather know now than later.

For the Gyuto's, I prefer the second one. First one has WAY too much belly. For the second one, I'd even drop the tip a bit more, but that's just my preference.

The parer's definately need to be sleeker & pointier. A very popular profile is the Classic Sabatier

sabatier_paring_4c.jpg

Too much belly = bad on general purpose chef's knives/gyutos. Also, pay special attention to knuckle clearance, how tall is the blade? As mentioned by OldNavy, pay attention to the classics (not German), stick with the French and Japanese.

20140128_183705.jpg

I'm going to leave those knives alone and call them something other than a paring knife. Thus is my updated pattern. Is the spine dropping that much a problem, or will it be ok?

The stock thickness is 0.93" on everything.

The chefs are 1 15/16" right now. I have been looking at French style knives, and I think I'm going to sacrifice some width to flatten the bellies out a bit.

Looks much better, One note, Don't go too small on the handle. The biggest bitch I have with Messsermeister is the handles on their parers are pencil thin . they never
figured out that even if the knife gets smaller your hands stay the same size,

There's a good profile in that Gyuto somewhere. Drop the belly a bit and add a little more flat. As for the handle, get rid of the flat spot on the top and make it a gradual curve. Bottom of the handle depends on a lot of things, so I won't even try and suggest a profile for that part off of a picture. Something closer to this would be a lot more useful and attractive, at least in my opinion:

EM1UTeY.jpg

(do note that I spent all of 1 minute in MS Paint doing that... don't copy the lines I drew exactly, but that should give you an idea)

Edit: Should also add... I like a little bit of an upward angle to my handle in relation to the flat of the blade, as it gives a little more clearance and is a little more ergonomic in use... was reflected in the drawing regardless, but that is something else to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Back