Feedback on maker Edmund Davidson

not2sharp

Platinum Member
Edmund Davidson,

Is a well known maker who has been around for a long time, but, he is seldom mentioned on these forums. Do we have any feedback on his knives?

I do not own one, but have handled them and they are very nice. One of the Jones brothers may be able to give some feedback on them if you cruise over to the custom knives forum.

------------------
If firearms cause crime, then matches cause arson.

Check out his integral in this months Blade Mag. Simply Outstanding. His website will be up soon. Edmund Davidson 540-997-5651
He is opinionated, and he is outspoken and he makes one hell of a knife.

Regards,
Mike [URLSnodyhttp://snodyknives.com/MS_Knives_K00915.htm
www.snodyknives.com

[This message has been edited by Mike Snody (edited 05-26-2001).]

This is my first posting here, and I am glad to share my thoughts on Edmund Davidson. I purchased his Battle Zone Bowie about 7 years ago. This is a huge blade, 8 inch clip blade about 2 inches across at it's widest and handled with black canvas micarta scales with deep serrations. I liked that the scales were attached with bolts.Blade is in 440c. I ordered a catalog from Mr.Davidson after reading about this knife in one of Greg Walkers Springblade novels. This knife spent 3 weeks in Kenya on Safari with me. The Guides really loved it, especially the Harley motorcycle design used as a signature.
Since the safari it has seen use on a lot of camping trips. I also own a Tanto pattern with a 6.5 inch bladed that has been a great utility blade over the years. Mr. Davidson and Robert Rippy of The Rippy's were the first knife makers I dealt with after catching the custom knife bug. I happily blame Greg Walker for infecting me.

JW

Thanks for the comments. I have seen Edmund's work and feel that he is very under represented on this site. I look forward to his web site.

N2S

Thought I heard someone mention us.
biggrin.gif

Edmund Davidson is a good friend and one hell of a knifemaker. He is the first custom knifemaker that I ever met (13 years ago.WOW!) Seriously, Edmund does outstanding work. Some of his blades are rather plain upon first glance but they are complicated when it comes to how they are made. They are expensive and that is probably why you don't hear too much about him or his knives on this forum. It is a shame that more people don't discuss his knives here.

Now if I could only get my hands on one of his integral swords. Well, I can always dream.

------------------
Barry
Jones Knives
"NEW Knives"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=126319&a=5922856&f=0
"For DUTY and HUMANITY!"
Curly, Moe, & Larry

Barry,

I have one of his large camp knives from the late 80s. But, lately he has been getting very little press except for the ads in Blade. It would be great if you could post some pictures of his current work.

n2s

I ordered one of his knives at ECCKS. A 7" clip point fighter. I should get it at the next show. A great value at $275. His integrals are expensive as I think they should be. He has a new finish that leaves the ungrinded portion of the blade ruff and slightly darker. I can only describe his work as extremely clean looking. He's one of my favorite bladesmiths.
Frank Q.

------------------
"The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none."
Thomas Carlyle

I think his presence in the forums will increase once his site is up. He has a full page Intergral Wakazashi in this months Blade on page 31. He receives a considerable amount of coverage, just not in this venue.

Regards,
Mike Snody
www.snodyknives.com

I had good experience with Edmund Davidson. He 's one heck of a nice guy to deal with and his knives superb. What I really like is if any problem arises he will instantly call and explain.

Three years ago I ordered one BG-42 5" integral model pictured below (shown here a few times already. Sorry couldn't resist
biggrin.gif
). The delivery time slipped from 8 to 12 months but he upgraded the handle from cocobola to desert ironwood at no cost. It was the only knife in my collection that my wife commented "truly beautiful." (And she took it.
smile.gif
). That says a lot!

I look forward to seeing his website.

Dew.

Edmund_mil5.jpg

Guys: I have known Edmund Davidson for 10+ years now. He's well known for his integral knives, and is one of the few makers who makes them from BG42. He came to me asking about BG42 perhaps 4 years ago-maybe 5, and I recommended it as a superior steel. He took my advice, and purchased a mill run of the thick stock to make integrals. The man is a glutton for punishment!
His knives are well executed-If you don't have an integral in your collection, you should get one from him.
As far as his pieces being expensive, that depends on your definition. Integrals require a LOT of work. I'd call his prices very reasonable.

RJ Martin

I have known Edmund Davidson for at least 15 years. If you are looking for a high performance knife, you simply can not do better than a Davidson. His workmanship is amazing and his designs are all about getting the job done as efficiently as possible. You would really need to see the block of steel he starts with to fully appreciate what goes into the making of a Davidson. Excellent workmanship.

Jerry Busse

Mike,

Thanks for the link. The website works fine, I just wish he had 50 available for immediate delivery.
smile.gif

I hope he can join our little community and share a little with us.

N2S

Edmund Davidson,

Is a well known maker who has been around for a long time, but, he is seldom mentioned on these forums. Do we have any feedback on his knives?
Edmunddavidsonknives.com is his new website. He is still making, working everyday. He is now a AKI member. Please check out his website.

It is pretty amazing to see how far Edmund has come. Backwoods Virginia boy made good. I met him in 1990 when he was couch surfing while doing local gun shows. He spent the weekend on my couch for a Roanoke gun show. I had a few of his knives which I gifted to friends(idiot, I know) they were not integrals but slab style hunting and camping knives.

Bill

Back