Fellow CRK Owners - Shirogorov or Arno Bernard?

Thanks ChazzyP for the excellent post. Lots of hands on experience lends a lot of credibility on your take. I guess one other thought I could add to the mix is all things equal, I'll take the KISS approach. The SRBS has less parts/complexity, which I appreciate. In fact, the Shiro F95NL's two fastener construction is to me reminiscent of the Zaan and Inkosi, and I very much like that.

Thanks ChazzyP for the excellent post. Lots of hands on experience lends a lot of credibility on your take. I guess one other thought I could add to the mix is all things equal, I'll take the KISS approach. The SRBS has less parts/complexity, which I appreciate. In fact, the Shiro F95NL's two fastener construction is to me reminiscent of the Zaan and Inkosi, and I very much like that.
Thanks to you too, OM. Your post has left me wondering if KISS bearings are a thing or if AutoCorrect has had its way with IKBS. A little internet searching hasn't found much.

I too like the two fastener, open back, construction of the F95's in addition to the single presentation-side lanyard attachment. I never liked using CRK lanyard pins, though, and added a second stand-off to my StarTac in what I know as the N Norvox mod which gives me a better, more out-of-the way lanyard attachment, plus I just think it's kinda cool. On my Inkosi's, and one of my 31's, I've added Jekyll to Hyde butt-spacers which give better lanyard attachments.

My favorite thing about Inkosi construction, though, is the floating stop pin which makes pivot adjustment much easier, not being complicated by having to work around a two fastener, or shouldered stop pin close to the pivot. I wish that CRK had added this feature to the 31 when they redesigned the Sebenza. That lack, I think, is why they added thread locker to the goodies that come with that model.

Thanks to you too, OM. Your post has left me wondering if KISS bearings are a thing or if AutoCorrect has had its way with IKBS. A little internet searching hasn't found much.

I too like the two fastener, open back, construction of the F95's in addition to the single presentation-side lanyard attachment. I never liked using CRK lanyard pins, though, and added a second stand-off to my StarTac in what I know as the N Norvox mod which gives me a better, more out-of-the way lanyard attachment, plus I just think it's kinda cool. On my Inkosi's, and one of my 31's, I've added Jekyll to Hyde butt-spacers which give better lanyard attachments.

My favorite thing about Inkosi construction, though, is the floating stop pin which makes pivot adjustment much easier, not being complicated by having to work around a two fastener, or shouldered stop pin close to the pivot. I wish that CRK had added this feature to the 31 when they redesigned the Sebenza. That lack, I think, is why they added thread locker to the goodies that come with that model.
Keep It Simple Stupid (looking in the mirror saying that).

I have been "I'ng" the AB for awhile now; I am wondering if I will find it too small though. The CRK larges are just perfect for me, and I definitely think the smalls are too small.

I think I will jump in line on the pre-order.

I have been "I'ng" the AB for awhile now; I am wondering if I will find it too small though. The CRK larges are just perfect for me, and I definitely think the smalls are too small.

There is a local seller as well that has a few more of the inlays for pre-order. I ordered direct and got a PJ, but if you want inlays, be sure to look for the local seller. They have things like stabilized warthog and kudu bone available.

Here's a few size comparison pics. One of the closest in my accumulation is the full-size Griptilian. Most of mine sport Wilkins scales which make the Grip look a lot bigger and add a lot of handle real estate. This 551 SBK sports Igorded OD Micarta scales which are basically the same size and shape is the dreaded factory Noryl that they replaced. I tried my best to keep my phone in plane with the knives as any tilt makes the closer of two similarly-sized appear the larger. The blades are almost exactly the same size, but the Grip's scales are just a taste longer and have more vertical height toward the rear handle swell. Still, both knives sport a full 4-finger grip with the BMK a bit more hand-filling.

1676670116823.jpeg

Here's a couple with my NeOn UL which is infinitesimally smaller than the NeOn Zero model that replaced the original. I've posted this one as the NeOn has been mentioned here more than once. That Shiro is pretty much my minimum size of small knife that consider more useful that a "gentleman's carry". It affords a decent 3-and-a-half finger grip. The pic lining the two up at the butt is probably more telling regarding the size difference.

1676670534340.jpeg

1676670565220.jpeg

I definitely favor a larger knife for work, but the iMamba certainly has enough handle and blade to be a solid user. Perhaps Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery might weigh in here, as he uses his two on the job and around his property.

Here's a few size comparison pics. One of the closest in my accumulation is the full-size Griptilian. Most of mine sport Wilkins scales which make the Grip look a lot bigger and add a lot of handle real estate. This 551 SBK sports Igorded OD Micarta scales which are basically the same size and shape is the dreaded factory Noryl that they replaced. I tried my best to keep my phone in plane with the knives as any tilt makes the closer of two similarly-sized appear the larger. The blades are almost exactly the same size, but the Grip's scales are just a taste longer and have more vertical height toward the rear handle swell. Still, both knives sport a full 4-finger grip with the BMK a bit more hand-filling.

View attachment 2086406

Here's a couple with my NeOn UL which is infinitesimally smaller than the NeOn Zero model that replaced the original. I've posted this one as the NeOn has been mentioned here more than once. That Shiro is pretty much my minimum size of small knife that consider more useful that a "gentleman's carry". It affords a decent 3-and-a-half finger grip. The pic lining the two up at the butt is probably more telling regarding the size difference.

View attachment 2086411

View attachment 2086412

I definitely favor a larger knife for work, but the iMamba certainly has enough handle and blade to be a solid user. Perhaps Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery might weigh in here, as he uses his two on the job and around his property.

I did read this post and totally forgot to answer!! My apologies.

ChazzyP is correct. I have used the iMamba as well as CRK’s on the job. I have also owned multiple Shiro F95’s, Neon Zero and Neon NL.

Not sure if any of this info will help the OP or if they have already made a decision.

Between the AB iMamba and the Shirogorov Neon Zero, my choice would be the iMamba. They both have roughly the same blade length. The Neon Zero is a slimmer knife and is, in my opinion, not suited for the tasks I make my CRK’s perform in the construction business. The Zero to me is a light duty flipper. I did end up selling it, because the tab would get in my way in different grips, and the Zero was just too slim causing some discomfort in cuts requiring a lot of downward pressure.

The iMamba I have in both a washer version and a bearing version. Both have stood up very well and have been put through some pretty tough tasks. As you can see in the photo, AB’s finish hides scratches in photos well. Haha. They are scratched up though.
Both of these came with a flipper tab, and were used that way before I performed flipper tab delete surgery. (Just a personal preference). I like the way the flipper tab was positioned as it stayed out of the way for 90% of my grips. It’s got great action and feels very much like a CRK in hand…just a touch more comfortable ergonomically. The bonus is that the edge is easy to touch up with basic sharpening systems.

Between the two, I would decide what you would like the knife for.

Shirogorov Neon Zero for incredible action, thin profile and light to medium duties. Great machining and attention to detail.
AB iMamba for great action, good ergonomic handle, satisfying purchase in hand, ease of sharpening and excellent machining.

Not sure if this helps, but I had fun typing it out. :)
4DDEE8F4-44FF-4595-8256-6C3ABDC2AD81.jpeg

Edit to add: A fun fact. Your middle finger is the longest finger on your hand. Your brain knows this and it is intuitive. If you were to measure your middle finger, that would correlate to what blade length would feel the most natural to use the second you pick it up. Your brain is used to the distance so that blade length feels natural.

It took me a bit to get used to the 21 being just that little bit longer than my intuitive length of 3.25”/3.30”. In fact, I sold my first 21 because of that, it felt a little to awkward. I bought another 21 and it was maybe 2 weeks to get used to the length. :)

Just a fun little fact to consider. :)

Last edited:
Edit to add: A fun fact. Your middle finger is the longest finger on your hand. Your brain knows this and it is intuitive. If you were to measure your middle finger, that would correlate to what blade length would feel the most natural to use the second you pick it up. Your brain is used to the distance so that blade length feels natural.

It took me a bit to get used to the 21 being just that little bit longer than my intuitive length of 3.25”/3.30”. In fact, I sold my first 21 because of that, it felt a little to awkward. I bought another 21 and it was maybe 2 weeks to get used to the length. :)

So now I have an unimpeachable science based justification for having purchased two new large Sebenza 31s in the past week or two. I just knew there was a darned good reason.

Thanks for sharing. :cool:

(And if anyone doubts or questions it, I'll just give them the middle finger. 🤣 (Metaphorically, of course.)

So now I have an unimpeachable science based justification for having purchased two new large Sebenza 31s in the past week or two. I just knew there was a darned good reason.

Thanks for sharing. 🤣 :cool:

Haha. That made me chuckle.

Do we ever neeeeeed a reason to buy another CRK? 🤣
Congrats on your purchases. Looking forward to seeing your new additions when they arrive.

Oh, they're here...but I don't want to detract from the current discussion. Check the "images" thread from yesterday afternoon.

I just received my first iMamba and as a huge CRK believer/user I’m extremely impressed all around. I too will need to remove the flipper tab because it gets in the way, just my personal preference really though. I did come with an extremely weak detent which will fail to open every time unless I give it some help. However, it’s very easy to deploy the blade with a thumb roll or the dreaded spydie flick(lol). I’ve already ordered another without the flipper tab and asked for a strong detent. Should be here in about 4-6 weeks. The lockup, fit and finish, overall shape, blade profile and grinds, all the contouring, perfect blade centering, pocket clip, are all exceptional and unlike many other knives that I get in and quickly move along, I’ll be pocketing and using this one for a long time. It really did surprise me and really is that good but only time will tell if it holds up like a CRK.

I did read this post and totally forgot to answer!! My apologies.

ChazzyP is correct. I have used the iMamba as well as CRK’s on the job. I have also owned multiple Shiro F95’s, Neon Zero and Neon NL.

Not sure if any of this info will help the OP or if they have already made a decision.

Between the AB iMamba and the Shirogorov Neon Zero, my choice would be the iMamba. They both have roughly the same blade length. The Neon Zero is a slimmer knife and is, in my opinion, not suited for the tasks I make my CRK’s perform in the construction business. The Zero to me is a light duty flipper. I did end up selling it, because the tab would get in my way in different grips, and the Zero was just too slim causing some discomfort in cuts requiring a lot of downward pressure.

The iMamba I have in both a washer version and a bearing version. Both have stood up very well and have been put through some pretty tough tasks. As you can see in the photo, AB’s finish hides scratches in photos well. Haha. They are scratched up though.
Both of these came with a flipper tab, and were used that way before I performed flipper tab delete surgery. (Just a personal preference). I like the way the flipper tab was positioned as it stayed out of the way for 90% of my grips. It’s got great action and feels very much like a CRK in hand…just a touch more comfortable ergonomically. The bonus is that the edge is easy to touch up with basic sharpening systems.

Between the two, I would decide what you would like the knife for.

Shirogorov Neon Zero for incredible action, thin profile and light to medium duties. Great machining and attention to detail.
AB iMamba for great action, good ergonomic handle, satisfying purchase in hand, ease of sharpening and excellent machining.

Not sure if this helps, but I had fun typing it out. :)
View attachment 2129147

Thanks for this write up! I ended up buying both the AB and the Shiro - the Shiro was the NL version of the zero, but I think it gave me enough to go on. The Shiro was extremely slick. But the lockbar death was excessive, and I didn't like that the butt of the handle came to such a point. I've probably mentioned this a few times in other places, but my concern was one of my kids knocking into it while I play with them. I don't know why it needs to come to such a pronounced point. In any case, the AB is amazing in every way. Multiple ways to deploy. NO LOCKBAR DEATH - NONE. I can press my finger on the lock bar as hard as I want - it will always deploy. It's an amazing slicer. My only issue has been that since the finish on the blade is so refined, it does pick up tape and other residue more than any other knife I've used. But that's the price of having such a shiny blade. The AB is staying with me. The Shiro is long gone.

I see it has choices for bronze washers or bearings. Being CRK fans, are people going for washers on the iMamba? I don’t have interest in a flipper, and bearings seems like they would be a maintenance hassle, but this is a fine looking knife.

I have a bunch of CRK's and probably 8 or 9 Shiro's.

The newer F3/F95/Hati models are excellent. I really like the F95 Zero and use the hell out of it. That being said, my favorite Shirogorov is an old Hati on washers in S90V. Seriously one of the best knives they have ever made. They have a similar pivot bushng as a Sebenza

I sold the non flipper iMamba I had. It was a really nice knife but a bit small for my tastes.

Only own the (flippers) F3, F95 Shirogorov, Grimsmo Norseman, Three Sisters Gorgon, Curtis F3 (Big one), Les George VECP3, Koenig Arius, Grayman Dua and Satu.

It looks odd, but like the Norseman best. Arius Second. Satu third. All others are fine, though.

Thanks for the tip on The Arno. New to me. Can’t keep track of all the American Bladesmiths.

Last edited:
Funny - I just got a norseman. And I'm in awe. I didn't like the way it was running, so I stripped it down, tuned it up, and it was slick as hell in a matter of minutes. I'm impressed. I also picked up an Arius and I'm super impressed by that. It's my favorite knife right now.

Back