FGX Nightshade Series

Made from Griv-Ex the latest in fiberglass reinforced plastic our FGX Nightshade series knives are UV and heat stabilized to make them incredibly durable. The handles of these unusual knives are made from deeply checkered Kray-Ex thats molded directly onto the blade tangs. This offers a slightly tacky-feeling textured surface that will give you a decisive and secure grip whatever the weather. Our FGX Nightshade blades are unaffected by moisture. They never rust, warp, crack or split even in the most challenging environments. They are light enough to be tied, tucked, or taped just about anywhere, and, since they are unaffected by all but the most extreme heat and cold, they are a natural choice for concealed storage both inside and outside of your house - from hedges and flowerpots, to the refrigerator or the shower!

I am completely enamored with these knives and wish that Cold Steel would expand the line with a Laredo, Natchez, Trail Master and Recon Scout version of these excellent blades. An updated Tai Pan would be welcome too. The current version is a little thin and flimsy compared to the Wasp Dagger model with its thick blade, reinforced tip and "grip and rip" serrations. The possibilities are endless.

Made from Griv-Ex the latest in fiberglass reinforced plastic our FGX Nightshade series knives are UV and heat stabilized to make them incredibly durable. The handles of these unusual knives are made from deeply checkered Kray-Ex thats molded directly onto the blade tangs. This offers a slightly tacky-feeling textured surface that will give you a decisive and secure grip whatever the weather. Our FGX Nightshade blades are unaffected by moisture. They never rust, warp, crack or split even in the most challenging environments. They are light enough to be tied, tucked, or taped just about anywhere, and, since they are unaffected by all but the most extreme heat and cold, they are a natural choice for concealed storage both inside and outside of your house - from hedges and flowerpots, to the refrigerator or the shower!

I am completely enamored with these knives and wish that Cold Steel would expand the line with a Laredo, Natchez, Trail Master and Recon Scout version of these excellent blades. An updated Tai Pan would be welcome too. The current version is a little thin and flimsy compared to the Wasp Dagger model with its thick blade, reinforced tip and "grip and rip" serrations. The possibilities are endless.
When I first took a look at the FGX line, I thought they were pointless. But the more I thought about it, the more intrigued I became. They must be incredibly light and of course you need not worry about rust. But I do get the feeling they’re a “one time use” kind of weapon…God forbid you would actually have to use it in a self defense scenario. I’m guessing the Kray Ex would likely snap/break after penetration. However if it saves your life then I would consider them invaluable. Got a few ?’s:

- Does the Boot Knife version have a flat surface like the CS Counter Tac?
- How sharp is the edge on the FGX Boot Knife? Is it capable of cutting anything (not talking about penetration capability).
Thanks in advance.

The Boot Knife is one that I don't have. It looks a lot like a smaller version of the Tai Pan which is quite thin and flat. There isn't much of an edge on the Tai Pan either, certainly not like the edge on the Wasp or Ring Dagger with serrations and a thicker blade. Maybe a forum member who has one will respond.

Found a short review video:

Obviously a boot knife with a steel blade would be far superior, but the FGX did Ok. I’d consider it an absolute last ditch option.. better than a stick, LOL!

I have one of these :

In my personal experience , not nearly as effective as steel !

It takes much more strength and effort to cause equivalent damage .

Just can't be made to be really sharp, and is not comparable in strength to steel .

Probably better than nothing , but don't expect too much .

I have one of these :

In my personal experience , not nearly as effective as steel !

It takes much more strength and effort to cause equivalent damage .

Just can't be made to be really sharp, and is not comparable in strength to steel .

Probably better than nothing , but don't expect too much .
I have this also. Mine won't cut anything, but it will stab and penetrate. It's very light and easy to carry. I don't have much use for it, but bought it to round up the order for free shipping.

I bought the boot knife with amazon credit. It's become a decent novelty, but I do appreciate that it never rusts. *shrugs* im still tempted by the wasp one.

I have six of the Nightshade series.

Two are Safemaker IIs, and they are probably the best plastic pushdagger's I've handled. I still have my Choate Ace of Spades I bought when I was 12 in 1984. The Nightshade Safemaker feels better in the hand and is much sharper and would be a better weapon, but the Ace of Spades is probably more durable and is easier to carry since it is not very sharp. These things should have sheathes.

I also have a Honeycomb and a Delta Dart and both should be good stabbing tools.

Then I have the Counter Tac I and the Tai Pan. These should work for stabbing and maybe slightly cutting bare skin. I mainly got them because they were on sale and I wanted to have an idea what the real versions which I later bought would be like.

I highly recommend the metal Tai Pan and Counter Tac over the plastic ones. :D

All these just sit on shelves.

I bought a CAT Tanto back in 1999 but that was pre-nightshade so it is just one piece of zytel or whatever they make them out of.

In testing it I was able to cut a few strips of raw steak before it became too dull to cut.

I got a couple of these and they do seem like a last ditch, one time use item. Also, I don't think it would be good to be caught with something that looks like a weapon designed to evade metal detectors. The push dagger IMO is probably the best in the series, since it has a reinforced tip, rubber grip, and the push dagger grip allows you to put more force into the blade (which you need to do to make a plastic blade puncture).

I also really like the balisong since it flips decently well for something so cheap and plastic, and my girlfriend tells me the cruciform dagger hair brush I gave her works better than the other brushes she has.

I wish Cold Steel would try doing some nonmetallic knives in something like G10 fiberglass or carbon fiber; it would be much stiffer and more effective. The only options available on the market right now cost as much as Cold Steel's nicer folders, so I'm sure they could produce a more cost effective version.

Back