Fiddleback Forge Comparison Photos Round Three (PIC Heavy)

It's ok man, I'm a big boy I can take it. It may get a little rough if you ever add a camp knife and comp cutter but I'm sure I'll manage :D

Well, I have had my eye on the camp knife and comp cutter for sometime now. Lightguy did a wonderful thread on the camp knife. The link is shown below. KSF has a comp cutter that has been there for a while. IIRC, it has the antique micarta which I like very much. Generally, I am not a big fan of large knives, but these two seem to simmer in the back of my mind.

Fiddleback Camp Knife - Quest for the Ultimate Camp Knife = Success!! dated 10-30-12.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ife-Quest-for-the-Ultimate-Camp-Knife-Success!!

Mark

Well, I have had my eye on the camp knife and comp cutter for sometime now. Lightguy did a wonderful thread on the camp knife. The link is shown below. KSF has a comp cutter that has been there for a while. IIRC, it has the antique micarta which I like very much. Generally, I am not a big fan of large knives, but these two seem to simmer in the back of my mind.

Fiddleback Camp Knife - Quest for the Ultimate Camp Knife = Success!! dated 10-30-12.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...ife-Quest-for-the-Ultimate-Camp-Knife-Success!!

Mark

Oh yes! Well acquainted with Lightguy's Camp Knife thread, I've stared at that knife for longer than I'd want to admit before.

And yes...I have looked at the Comp Cutter at KSF more times than I care to remember lol, but after all the money I spent this summer, spending $460.00 on a knife right now just may necessitate hiring an attorney...and then I'd just have to part with the knife anyway :)

Thank you Mark. I've a hiking buddy waiting for me at the post office and the. Review these comparison threads again. I really like my bush finger and expect the hiking buddy will quickly become a favorite as well.

I missed picking up the knife by 15 minutes on the 24th -- it's my first errand in the morning.

Thank you Mark. I've a hiking buddy waiting for me at the post office and the. Review these comparison threads again. I really like my bush finger and expect the hiking buddy will quickly become a favorite as well.

I missed picking up the knife by 15 minutes on the 24th -- it's my first errand in the morning.

The Hiking Buddy is a very capable little knife and a pleasure to use.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/899708-Fiddleback-Forge-Hiking-Buddy

Congratulations Shamr0ck! I second Mistwalker's comments and can only add that those two knives complement each other well and make a very capable kit.

Mark

Was just admiring MAW's little FB family again and thought I'd bump this back to the first page.

maw,

This is one of the most informative photo essays of a knifemakers line I have ever seen.
Thanks much for the post.

Was just admiring MAW's little FB family again and thought I'd bump this back to the first page.

Here Here! Nicely done. This post is always worth the re-look. I do believe Mark has the definitive FB collection.

maw,

This is one of the most informative photo essays of a knifemakers line I have ever seen.
Thanks much for the post.

Thank you gentleman for your kind words! :)

Mark

Mark-

For my next Fiddleback I'm looking at either an Arete or KE Bushie in 1/8 and scandi. Have you used yours (Arete and KE Bushie) enough to have a lean one way or another on these models? -I want a pure feathersticking, notching drilling bushcrafter.

This question is open to all Fiddleback lovers who have used both the Arete and KE Bushie.

Hello rustycurtis,

First off, fine choice in blades!

I prefer the Arete over the KE Bushie because the handle is more comfortable for me. The flair at the end of the handle on the KE Bushie is much more pronounced than that of the Arete and I really don't care for that feature. I hope I have been of some help.

Mark

Hello rustycurtis,

First off, fine choice in blades!

I prefer the Arete over the KE Bushie because the handle is more comfortable for me. The flair at the end of the handle on the KE Bushie is much more pronounced than that of the Arete and I really don't care for that feature. I hope I have been of some help.

Mark

I was wondering if that "pommel" would be too noticeable. You confirmed it. The rest of the knife seems pretty similar, with the Arete having more of the spear point. Any other small (or large) nuances you picked up between the two? Notice any utility advantages of one over the other when using them?

I was wondering if that "pommel" would be too noticeable. You confirmed it. The rest of the knife seems pretty similar, with the Arete having more of the spear point. Any other small (or large) nuances you picked up between the two? Notice any utility advantages of one over the other when using them?

While both of the blades are 5/32" thick, I feel that the blade and tip of the Arete is a bit stouter than the KE Bushie which gives me more confidence in use. That is about it. :)

Mark

While both of the blades are 5/32" thick, I feel that the blade and tip of the Arete is a bit stouter than the KE Bushie which gives me more confidence in use. That is about it. :)

Mark

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

Mark

After reading this again I thought I should clarify my remarks. Both 5/32" thick Arete and KE Bushie knives I was referring to have the convex saber grind. Andy only makes his scandi grind in 1/8' thick stock.

I also have the Arete in 1/8" thick stock scandi grind. Comparing the KE Bushie (5/32" convex) to the Arete (1/8" Scandi), I still come to the same conclusion. I feel that the blade and tip of the Arete is a bit stouter than the KE Bushie which gives me more confidence in use.

That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks!

I am sorry for the confusion I have caused.

Mark - I think the picture below answers my question but I was hoping you could confirm something for me. When I look at that Bushboot and the Hiking Buddy, their appears to be about a 1/4" to 1/2" difference in the length of the belly or underside of the handle. That bottom length of the handle from the back edge of the guard to the bottom edge of the butt, where you would be fitting your four fingers, measured around 3 3/8" on my Bushboot, which is just about what I see on yours as well if I start the measurement at the inside edge of the guard at the 5 3/4" mark. That area on the Hiking Buddy appears to be closer to 4".

If that is true and my eyes and the angles aren't playing tricks on me, it would seem that although the Bushboot has an overall wider and thicker handle, the shape of the Hiking Buddy will better accommodate larger hands to the extent I just want a better four-finger grip.

2012_0929PhotosCameraMichael0045.jpg

Hi bkoregon,

I think you are spot on my friend. I prefer the Hikingbuddy over the Bushboot as I think the Hikingbuddy's handle is more ergonomic and user friendly with different grips (e.g., reverse grip). I did sell the Bushboot and the emerald burlap Hikingbuddy right below it a little while ago but kept the coffee burlap because it is a dandy of a knife!

I hope this has helped. :)

Mark

Let's get down to brass tacks, how much for the black and red Ladyfinger?

Back