Field Sharpening Idea

Does anybody make a sharpening rod like the Spyderco rods, except with the end of the rod cut off on an angle. So that you can hold the angled end flat on a flat surfuce for a constant angle, and pretty much use it like a sharp maker would be used?

and if not, how might one go about cutting a ceramic rod.

great idea mate. You should patent it. As far as cutting ceramic, mabey a dremal with cut-off disk?

I use the lansky croc stick type. What I did instead of cutting the ceramic was went to the hardware store and picked up a rubber stopper with more meat on it. The cap that covers the end has a triangular inner and round outter shape from the factory. I then fit the rubber stopper over this and then figured out the angle I desired.using sandpaper I took it down to the proper angle after marking it with a sharpie. I have a 15 degree on one side and 20 on the other. I used gorilla glue and affixed it for good.....sorry no picks on my blackberry. This system works great and is pretty fool(obama)proof. If you are lacking a good solid surface in the backcountry I just stick with the bottom of my gsi cup.

GATCO makes the TRI-SEPS sharpener with angled rubber caps on each end. There web site shows them in a fine diamond grit but 1SKS also has them in ceramic if you prefer. There only about 4 inches long but you could take the caps off and put them on your Spyderco stones if your wanting something longer, there is a little difference between the shape of the stones though.

I have an old sharpener called the "Sharplegs' made by Loray. It is not the same as the OPs suggested solution but works well as a portable field sharpener and is not much bulkier than a single Sharpmaker rod and is very lightweight. It works like an upside down Sharpmaker - you run the blade down the outside of the rod rather than the inside. The legs are joined at one end but the angle that they can be opened out to is adjustable and it is quite stable when held against a log or some expedient rest.

The ceramic rods are round rather than triangular. I have had it for about twenty years or so - don't know if they are still in business.

You will have to use diamods to cut a ceramic rod. A Dremel disc won't touch it.

GATCO makes the TRI-SEPS sharpener with angled rubber caps on each end. There web site shows them in a fine diamond grit but 1SKS also has them in ceramic if you prefer. There only about 4 inches long but you could take the caps off and put them on your Spyderco stones if your wanting something longer, there is a little difference between the shape of the stones though.

http://www.gatcosharpeners.com/product/ceramic/triseps.mgi?mgiToken=41D30B031232A728537

thats even better then what I was thinking of. I think I'll just try to make feet that attach tot he sharpmaker instead. Even just a small block of something with an angled hole drilled in it for some round ceramic rods. failing that, these and some epoxy could work easily.

Last edited:
Back